Thermostat 440

Started by LJ-TJ, June 04, 2019, 07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Hey guy's, Having an over heating problem. Does the 1975 M300 take a skirted thermostat. i??  Thanks

BamBam

I don't even know or heard of a skirted T-stat? i?? i?? i??   Just stick with the standard 180* stat that all Mopars use.  Why are you overheating? Good Luck

LJ-TJ

D:oH!  That's what I'd like to know. Just got the rad re cord for $1000.00. Just put in a new water pump,clutch fan and thermostat. Fire here up and boom right up to 210. I pulled the thermostat and am going to fire here up later and see what happens. Hm?

ClydesdaleKevin

I am 99% sure that 440s use a skirted thermostat, just like 413s. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

BamBam

This is what you want, even though it's for a charger. How much you want to spend? Just make sure that it's a 180* stat. Good Luck
https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=thermostat&referer=herofitmentForm-newveh

DaveVA78Chieftain

Yes the 440-3 uses a skirted thermostat.

1. Select the Dodge forum
2. Select Most commonly asked questions
3. Select Thermostat: Sources for a 440-3 thermostat

The Mr. Gasket one (4367) is the most common one found.
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Thanks Dave. That's what I thought and bought. I always like to check with you guys just in case I missed something.This things go me buffaloed. Shoot! Re-cord the rad, new thermostat, new water pump,belts are good, hoses are good. Got me. Really appreciate all your help over the years. Thanks Mate.

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

Head gasket blown? Is it building up pressure in the radiator quickly and blowing over.

LJ-TJ

Ok! So I'm loosing my mind here. I pulled the thermostat this morning and let the old girl idle for 1hr, Yep! an hour. the temp never went above 135. So I check under neath on the block and it says it's a 440-10  D:oH! On the left side of the block by the water pump it has J440 TX with a iron cross. Blow that it has 7 a space with now writing and then a 20. I got no idea. I'm totally lost. What flipping engine do I have. Do I need a skirted thermostat or a regular thermostat. :)clap :)clap :)clap $@!#@!
Sorry for being such a pain in the !@#$%^&*()_+

BamBam

Quote from: LJ-TJ on June 05, 2019, 09:53 AM
Ok! So I'm loosing my mind here. I pulled the thermostat this morning and let the old girl idle for 1hr, Yep! an hour. the temp never went above 135. So I check under neath on the block and it says it's a 440-10  D:oH! On the left side of the block by the water pump it has J440 TX with a iron cross. Blow that it has 7 a space with now writing and then a 20. I got no idea. I'm totally lost. What flipping engine do I have. Do I need a skirted thermostat or a regular thermostat. :)clap :)clap :)clap $@!#@!
Sorry for being such a pain in the !@#$%^&*()_+

With that being said, I would say you have a stat problem. As for the markings on the block, all I know is the cross means that your bearings are .10 under. Compare the stat you have with a new one. The links in this topic are confusing, the last post here, http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,2629.0.html sends you to this link.  https://www.performanceparts.com/mr_gasket_thermostat_4367
If you read what that says about what it's for raises a flag!
"For High Performance Street, Drag Race, and Oval Track"
I think your making this to hard on yourself! Compare stats and replace with the same! This ain't rocket science unless you want it to be!

Rickf1985

This may be a dumb question but did you have the thermostat in the correct direction? With the sensor bulb towards the engine.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteSo I check under neath on the block and it says it's a 440-10

The -10 just represents the casting number, not the 440 type.

QuoteOn the left side of the block by the water pump it has J440 TX plus irn cross

J = Plant where the engine was built (not sure what it decodes to)
440 = displacement
T = Truck engine which was the 440-3 version
X plus iron cross = 0.010 undersize crankshat bearings

You have a 440-3
If you look at the Dodge MH Service Manual, Group 07 - Cooling System, Page 7-7, Figure 7, you will see a picture of the skirted thermostat used on the 440-3 truck engine.  A 440-3 truck engine used in motorhomes and vans is not made the same as the 440-1 car engine which us why you have to use a skirted thermostat which allows proper water flow through the engine.
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Thanks guys, Dave, Rick and Bam. I have the skirted thermostat. I put it in a pot of hot water with a thermometer. I opened at 177dg and fully opened at 185. So heading out to re drain the rad and install it and see what happens. Good question Rick I put the pointy end up into the rad hose and the fat end into the water pump. Think that's right. Thanks guys.

Elandan2

Sounds like you may have had an air pocket behind the thermostat. I like the ones with a "jiggle" valve in them to eliminate that problem. In vehicles where I've had a problem with air stuck behind the thermostat, I drill a small 1/16" hole in the flange and that lets the air out but doesn't affect performance.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

cosmic

I too use that trick.. 1/16 hole just off to the side.
TJ I had to start mine run it until it got hot turn it off let it cool repeat 3 times till I finally got that damn air lock out.