GPS Recommendations?

Started by cncsparky, July 23, 2014, 11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cncsparky

This is definitely something I want to add to mine.  What model GPS did you get?  Had a backup camera on a Yukon and it was very handy when hooking up trailers, etc. 
-Tom

Lefty

The three main players are Garmin, TomTom and Magellan.
The Garmin Nuvi has a 5" screen and "lifetime map updates" for around $80. and up.
The Magellan Roadmate series comes in several models ranging from about $120.-$200, and also has "lifetime map updates".
TomTom offers a 3" model for about $80, and a 5" model for about $100. also with "lifetime map upgrades.

You just have to look and see which ones you prefer. They all are going to be pretty much the same as far as accuracy goes, but they do vary in features... Points of Interests, Lane Assist, Real Time Traffic Alerts, etc... And also in the way the screen looks.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 2525LMTHD 5" GPS unit. It has all the usual features, 5" touch screen, turn by turn, lane assist, points of intrest, but it also has built in voice recognition so you can just tell it where you want to go and it'll route it for you hands free, or you can say "Nuvi, re-route" and it'll find an alternate route if you run into a traffic jam or road blockage. It also has Bluetooth and can be used with a smart phone for hands free calling and answering too. For about $129.00
Best Buy has them for $129.00
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/garmin-nvi-2595lmt-5-gps-with-built-in-bluetooth-and-lifetime-map-updates-black/3054083.p?id=1218374935561&skuId=3054083&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=3054083&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!36365343879!g!!43604673159&kpid=3054083&k_clickid=2deeebab-5815-c388-934c-0000767dd4ef
I think the car 12v adapter was separate, so be sure to check... you'll want one for sure.

In my truck, I have an older Magellan Roadmate 2200TS. It also has the usual stuff, a bit smaller 3.5" touchscreen, turn by turn, etc.. but it doesn't have bluetooth or voice recognition... it does however have one very important feature I wanted. It has a SD Memory Card Slot, a headphone jack, and an excellent built in music player. Since my truck has it's original cassette AM/FM in it, I can put thousands of .mp3's on a 32Gb SD card from my PC, stick it in the card slot on the GPS, and run a 3.5mm headphone to cassette adapter from the GPS to my stereo, and then listen to the .mp3's with the stereo while driving (and still use the gps too...). And use the touchscreen to navigate thru the albums or songs as I wish. I love it... I think it was around $100 when I bought it a few years ago, it's older than my Garmin.
You can get one refurbished at Newegg for $79.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ1M69803&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-GPS+Navigation-_-9SIA0AJ1M69803&ef_id=Uze-jAAAAWa-ljDk:20140724045034:s
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

cncsparky

I have an older Nuvi 205W that works great, but the maps are now several years old and it would cost nearly as much to buy maps as a new GPS unit. 

Since I need a new radio for my rig, I have been thinking about something like this.  I need the pop up screen type since there isn't room for the newer style big screen models. 

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-X7500BT

Can download the MotionX GPS for my Iphone and connect it to the receiver to get GPS functions.  Also has a backup camera option. 
-Tom

MotorPro

I was told by an installer that they have problems with those in most class A motorhomes. With the straight windshields and dash (where the sensor is located) is so far back from the windshield they won't find the satellites.

cncsparky

MP, are you talking about the indash GPS for the radio receiver?
-Tom

Wbago

Ive got an old Sony Ericsson smart phone, with google maps for navigation, Ulysese Speedometer (cos my dash speedo isnt that accurate) and a couple of other apps like an LPG garage finder, satellite finder, weather alert, etc. ...

All this cost nothing, cos it was my old phone, didnt require fitting (just a cradle on the dash and a charge lead), isnt too big, and works fine for me ... handy for playing games on etc when parked too :D

i bought a 2 camera setup for reversing, but fitted one at the back, and one facing forward on passenger side, to assist when overtaking .. the rear one is wireless, stays on front view until i hit reverse, then the screen switches to rear, very handy.

DonD

I have 2 NUVI, one I got refurb and one used off Ebay. Both work well in the MH.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

eXodus

I'm using an old Nokia Lumia 800,
Nokia maps are very good working offline. It also can use my Wifi for searching.

Probably in the Future I will just get a used big Smartphone with android, like a galaxy tablet and install a navigation app. Smartphones are better then normal Navigation, because they also use the cellphone towers to get their position. And in case of emergency you got another phone to call for help. It will be always on power of the Rig so didn't even think about the batteries.

yvan

I use an I phone app called Navigon, constant updates, traffic updates, overs all of north America(but you can delete area's that you are not travelling in to save space, and reload as needed). It has all the usual features, location services, POI etc, cost was $60 5 years ago, has never let me down.
Yvan

Proud Eyebrow RV owner since 2014