Schmitti's '76 Winnebago

Started by Schmitti, July 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbinebronze

Check motorcycle oil for high ZDDP content, especially for engine break in (motorcycle = off road use).  Also we have Brad Penn racing oil that has high ZDDP levels.
(my 2 cents, Craig)

Schmitti

Legal bored it stands currently and can not do otherwise:

The round shape of the V8 in 350-400Kg missing here pretty - this emptiness do not really like ... is time that back what comes in:

Until the engine from the engine builder is back, other work is carried out. Thus, for example, the new water heater installed:

And a new (larger) toilet is now as well. The old would have been in a nursery school fits:

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Froggy1936

Thomas, wile it is open, I recommend replacing the Transmission Frt seal right behind the convertor, Check the bushing for wear also , Don't forget to  place a large pan under bell housing as you can get some ATF as you pull the convertor off, Before removal mark the Inside of the bell housing so you will be shure to reengage Frt pump drive lugs when the convertor goes all the way back in Refill trans after first start  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Schmitti

Hello Frank,
Thank you for your note :)ThmbUp . I had already considered and the seals on the gear already renewed ;)

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Schmitti

Wow, after an eternity the engine completely rebuilt arrived back today. Starting tomorrow is installed :) :)

Thomas

Rickf1985

WHOA!!!!!!

Edelbrock aluminum heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schmitti's going to be out in the lot smoking the tires on the Winnie!
I am guessing that since you went to the expense of the heads that you did not go with the stock cam?

Schmitti

Hi Rick,
I do not now believe that the tires will smoke during start driving :D :D

Help me please times with the phrase:
I am guessing you did since went to the expense of the heads did you did not go with the stock cam?
My English is not the best  :-[  What does "Stock Cam"? i??

Since there are on the front axle Mercedes-Benz wheels, no Dodge rims were here discoverable in Germany, which I imported from the USA:

They largely disappear under the hubcaps ... but I can not absolutely screws to the car. Therefore, they were summarily stripped with the Flex and a plastic hedgehog.
Before:

After the anti-corrosion primer:

... And with the top coat:

Thomas

Rickf1985

The "Stock" or "original" camshaft that came with the engine. Did you change to a to a higher performance camshaft?
Here are a couple of online translations. Let me know if either makes sense.

Die " Auf " oder "Original" Nockenwelle , die mit dem Motor kam . Haben Sie auf eine höhere Performance Nockenwelle auf eine Ã,,nderung ?

Das "Lager" oder "original" Nockenwelle, die mit dem Motor kam. Haben Sie geändert, um eine zu einer höheren Leistung Nockenwelle?

legomybago

QuoteDie " Auf " oder "Original" Nockenwelle , die mit dem Motor kam . Haben Sie auf eine höhere Performance Nockenwelle auf eine Ã,,nderung ?

Das "Lager" oder "original" Nockenwelle, die mit dem Motor kam. Haben Sie geändert, um eine zu einer höheren Leistung Nockenwelle?

Wow Rick....You've crossed over to another level :D
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

Schmitti

Ahh, I'm so stupid D:oH! - clear "cam" = camshaft - "Stock" = (in German) "Original" or "Lager" D:oH!
Yes, the engine everything was renewed. Whether pistons, oil pump, camshaft, etc. - regardless of everything. We have as far as possible the engine optimized. But not for a peak power (hp) but rather to torque (Nm) and consumption.

Thank for your help and translation  :)ThmbUp

Thomas

Rickf1985

NOT stupid! Just a language barrier. Been there, done that.  Quebec, Canada in the 60's on a motorcycle. I found out they hate Americans up there and I do NOT speak French. My experiences there were so bad I have never been back. Vietnam was no different.  French and Vietnamese were the two main languages. By the time I got there a lot of the Vietnamese people knew some basic English but usually chose not to use it unless they needed something. I would like to go back there though since the people as a whole were very friendly.

C&T2

Rick, you need to go west! Much friendlier Canucks out west!!!

TerryH

I agree. But, maybe a bit further west.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Schmitti

With "stupid" I meant only that I also own the solution could have ;)  That was actually not difficult - but you're right ... the language barrier :)ThmbUp :)

I have with other countries 'problems' Rick. So you're not alone. As a German I am unfortunately still not welcome everywhere - even though I'm only 44y.o., I have to play the heavy inheritance of our historical past. In southern France I'm starving years ago because no one wanted to use in a restaurant ??? .

Anyway, here is a false issue. Back to the actual Winni. The engine is almost finished in the engine compartment. On Monday I get finished him hopefully  :)

Thomas

Rickf1985

Thomas, I have said it before and I will say it again, I cannot believe the dedication you have put into this project.

And to the Canadians, I have been very well received everywhere else in Canada, no worries there.

Schmitti

Unfortunately, it is a very long time ago that I wrote what here. I was very professionally involved but it was of course "on the side" on Winni on. The engine is in its place and purring now as it should. After installing the engine, the annual audit by our traffic monitoring (German TÃœV) was due. Since we have had to make an extra special. Here in Germany there is a special authorization for classic cars. This must be at least thirty years old and are considered worthy of preservation. This test is not an easy, since various difficult conditions contains. But we have made it to the Winni. Now new plates could accordingly be made and it is apparent to everyone. Through the "H" at the end of the numbers, it is now a renowned classic car. This we can go anywhere in the city centers now and our vehicle tax decreases even from 590 â,¬ to 192 â,¬.
Old Plate:

New Plate:

Last Wednesday we went in the late afternoon. The goal "Palumpaland" (the name of the camp) has been entered into the navigation system, thus providing species participation of the autumn meeting of US Motorhome Forum was given. Late at night we arrived at the reserved parking space. The next morning we could only see how beautiful we stand there on the lake:

Open View from the bath:

The surrounding area was explored:

The memorial can be reached from the campsite but only if you go through this gate:

I translate the name of the street you sometimes do not - I do not know if your me then believes or it is modest ;) :D W% .

Small overview of the area:

Well 600km (372mls) have been driven without any problems with the new engine. The fuel consumption has been amazing, reduced to 25,6l / 100KM (9,18mpg). I am satisfied with the result.

Thomas

Rickf1985

Congratulations Thomas! It has been a VERY long journey to get here. Let us hope you have many more long, trouble free journeys to come.

TerryH

:)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp Congratulations!!!!! We've all been pulling for you.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

LJ-TJ

Holy Cow that's exciting. The rig turned out just beautiful. It's been a blast following your journey. Thanks for sharing. You have a lot to be proud of. Well done. CONGRATULATIONS.  :)ThmbUp :)clap :)rotflmao

Schmitti

I thank you all, for your positive feedback :)ThmbUp :) .

But do not think that the thread is now over here ;) . I have several different conversions before. Now I am happy, however, for the first time, that he drives almost problem-free.

Now I have to take care of the rear axle. I suspect the wheel bearing ??? . The noise started on the last 100KM and increased in volume. Now I must first find out which rear axle is installed exactly i?? to order the new bearings.

Thomas

Froggy1936

!-!Do not delay , If you have a noise that can be heard getting louder , You have a very bad problem , The bearing is disinigrateting  This can allow large enough pieces to get to the ring and pinion creating broken gears, The differential must also be drained and cleaned as well as possible If it has a removeable cover all the easier Installation of a permanent magnet (glued in out of the way ) will catch any remaining particles Running rags thru the axel tubes will clean them out Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

The bearings on the Dana 60/70 do not usually go bad that quickly. Was the differential full of oil? Was the noise louder turning to the left or right? That would tell you which side. If 5the same then it could be a bearing in the differential. A pinion bearing will get louder as you accelerate and quiet down as you let off the gas. Differential side bearings stay the same no matter what usually. It is easy to check the wheel bearings, just take the bolts out of the axle and pull the axle out just enough to clear the flange and then spin the wheels. If the bearings are bad you will hear it. If neither side is noisy then you will need to take the differential cover off. I always put a coffee filter under there to catch the oil so I can see what is in it after it filters through. You will see any metal flakes from bad bearings.

Schmitti

Thank you both, for your help. At the moment it is a "hum" that is audible on the left side. Curves have so far had no influence on this. On the straight line it is audible. So far, I have not done anything, since I have to look first and check which axis is accurate. With the data, I will simply re-order all bearings. Also the diff I will open, clean and fill with new oil - after 40 years such an overhaul can not be wrong.

Thomas

joev

I did the same thing changed all the bearings and seals in the rear axle before I started to drive our Winnie after sitting for 10 years not moving there was rust in the axle tubes. Had to dismantl the complete rear axle clean and replaced all bearings and seals for good measure  driven it 20000 miles in the past 3 years  with out and problems . You have done a great job on yours hope you will enjoy it for many years