Schmitti's '76 Winnebago

Started by Schmitti, July 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schmitti

Yes, it was hard work. Thank you for your words. Currently there is the weather somewhat slower continue but there is still a little way to my imaginary consummation of Winnis ahead.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Schmitti

There's actually done a "hook" on the still long ToDo list. Our cushions are made ready and wait now that the dirty residual work in Winni end :-[ .

The seats in Brown and backs in gray. Everything was provided on the rear side with buttons, so the covers can be sometimes removed and washed. Even curtains there now. The patchwork design is the future "close" the sleeping compartments a little.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Schmitti

Many items for a new electrical system and ignition are ever arrived:

Even some "Bling Bling" will soon be available. New stainless steel Hub Cap's:

Today I had a little time "left" and could ever insulate the doghouse.
At first clean well:

Because I do not trust the self-adhesive sound absorbing mats, there was a good amount of liquid adhesive to:

Mat to warm it and with the heat gun. So already you can adjust the curves:

Since the heavy foil contained no heat, there was direct or thermal protector, which is combined with more sound insulation:

Of course, the 19mm thick mat can not be happy in the narrow curves process and was therefore recognized.

Although it is a closed cell mat but I would like to avoid in any case, the moisture penetrates. Therefore everything was still tightly bonded with aluminum foil:

Ultimately, it looks like this:

In the front wheel arches will soon do the same.

Thomas

Schmitti

In the short term, we have devoted ourselves today of the ignition system. The original "controller" and the new series resistor and other components have been removed. The harness was shut down and left as BackUp system in the engine wiring harness. The Bosch ignition module mounted, 4 new cable recovered and BMW High Voltage coil mounted:

The Winni jumped without problems directly, was already in the state very clean and quiet. Various gas shocks, he also very greedy and directly. Hood strikes, tool off and onto the road. From the beginning, a clean swipe and known Sustained power. After around 10KM a small tour there was only a summary - runs absolutely clean and without problems ... as if it had never been different. The hood insulation for markedly noticeable. A distinguished engine noise of the V8 is still there but without unpleasant to be sound. Without further insulation measures conversations are already possible and relaxed driving is quite possible in the future.

Thomas

87Itasca

I'm thinking I will need to do the same thing to my '87. The 454 is loud enough to me that having the radio on in the dash is pointless. A little sound deadening might just do the trick.

Schmitti

I highly recommend it :)ThmbUp . Although I have been insulated only the Dog House, which has already become very noticeably quieter :) ;) .

Thomas

Schmitti

Holiday in Germany. Thus, I have finally a little longer time and agree to the Winni from the workshop.
First, the new coffee maker has been tested:

Giant Cool thing that. We Works desired. Without electricity and purely on gas. I can not understand why there such a thing does not exist here in Europe.

The new hubcaps were installed quickly and look really good.
Rear:

And of course Front:

Then it was real. The refrigerator comes to Winni. Fit to only the new base plate. Besides a double socket was still in the partition integrated:

Since the New is slightly smaller than the old refrigerator, I have fitted out 40x60mm square timber a substructure. The sealing strips were cut and reassembled:

The upper end was identical procedures and a plywood panel closes the gap:

Refrigerator provided in, aligned, attached and started the terminals. Gas re-drafted, 230V + 12V were also reconnected Wired and:

Current front view until I fill material suitable for gaps have found:

Thomas

demully

great job thomas   grts René

LJ-TJ

Geeeeess Next time you put something shinny on the rig pre warn us. I near went blind when I saw the hub caps. WOW! They look fantastic. Well done. The rig is really looking great. :)ThmbUp

Schmitti

Thank you  :) but I need more in the future not to warn, because that was the only thing that will shine like that. Everything else what is to come, although changed again the optics a bit but it no longer shines so bad ;)

Thomas

Schmitti

Another day is coming to an end and this was completely "sacrificed" with the fresh water supply. After we had already resealed the fitting of the tank in the last year, the water was now filled today for the 6th time. During assembly of the refrigerator, this has been intended but more leaks were discovered on the tank. These were closed with a soldering iron. Now it was again today to the water supply, as this is still a completely untested system. The really last major construction site at Winni. During filling, a small crack was again on the tank. Almost below the middle and not at the weld itself:

Meanwhile I have exercise it, and it was also quite fast with the welding. Filled we have 75% of the entire volume. As far as the tank was ever close. The pump was connected to the mains in order now to check the water pipes. No water somewhere ... anywhere. Pump runs audible and also turns off after a certain period. Mmm ... what now? The upstream water filter already not filled and remained empty. By chance I saw air bubbles in the tank to rise. Grrrrrr - who has the pump is connected the wrong way round? unscrewed pump cable is disconnected, turned off water pipes and the whole rotated remounted. Next try. Sure, had to go wrong yes. The direct water supply connection even spits the cool water out again:

Do we only times not. Line was unscrewed and closed with a blind fastener. Pump set into operation again ... next leak:

The gray hose was improperly inserted into the system and should serve for the external connection. Had already found that that is not only time required. The closure at the other end unscrewed again and placed directly on the tee - the gray is now completely out of the game. Pump back on and it goes on with leaks:

Now the hot water boiler was on the course. The edge in the picture is no edge, but a crack. OK, hot water will now also turn out only once. Luckily I still have such a boiler in new. As is to swap currently no time. Hoses screwed from the boiler and joined together by connectors. back to the pump and goes on the test ... clearly, it was not that, would be too great if the rest of the system would now be working:

Now there was a leak from the toilet flushing. The copper closure is the cause. Unscrewed, hemp removed and found that no thread is on the plastic - great. Times strained whether and where I get for replacement. The pump has been put into operation again. WOW no further leaks. In the shower opened the faucet and the water ran clean through the faucet, the sink, as well ... it should now have been? Of course not ... would be too early happy after 10 hours of water games. In the sink namely was so well received no water. even tested waterworks. Before the kitchen are located in the pipes flows that pass through the ground to as to drain the system and accordingly to prevent frost damage. This would have the previous owner should probably do times. There the water arrived yet. OK, under the sink I have installed angle valves. This I then rotated and separated the water tap by the system - water did not come this far but with the new flush amatur. Funny, I do not believe that that is not working in the new state. Suddenly I had an Inspiration - in Germany we are in saving delusion. In head but a pass is limiter and the bubbling unit:

Nu yes, now no longer really. After several small sieve and the limiters have been completely removed, I have the coarse filter still introduced a few holes and screwed back into the head - water is there. Site Check "water supply" is now not really finished but a big step we have come anyway. Now at least the last works are placed clearly and openly. Also, the water tank will need to be well renewed. Let's see how I get solved that little problem.

Thomas

Schmitti

Yes, for 2 years, it is an uphill battle with the Winni  D:oH! ... but I think I'll win W% ;)
After all, what have I done anything surprises me nothing ??? :)

Thomas

Schmitti

The night was thoroughly considered how to proceed and decided that the tank must be replaced. At various points I have now already patched him up and it seems to have no end. Way he must anyway - so I went today directly ran begun to work with the electrical system:

Water connections were unscrewed quickly and then the front bench seat was unscrewed again:

Slowly I should think this thing - hinges or clips.
Of course, he did not just went forward to pull out - the bracket for the belts is in the way and simply by unscrewing the bottom is not. The screws rotate through, because they have no support in the interior. Adherence was there no longer:
Helps nothing. The bracket must go. So sharper guns ascended:

The locking latch was time - I need to? Nope! From the camp so:

Of course, the partition is about 15mm deep drawn to that the tank can not come out from under the wood. Accordingly, another use for the saw:

Then attached to the glass suction again and pulled out with the handle of the fall of the craftsman. Dirt the last 40 years and a large cave is to come to the fore:

In the cave was only cleaned once, the last carpet remnants, another 1000 brackets and the mineral wool away.
The tank in all its glory:

Examples, which is why I decided to get a new tank:

After almost exactly 2 years of torment with the Winni, it today still also something positive - at least to the eye. After I built the corner seat back together, moved the cushion into the Winni.
Living room and guest rooms with curtain:

Kitchen view with the furniture:

Hard to believe that here an hour had some chaos before:

Thomas

M & J

Stay the course sir. Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead!
M & J

Rickf1985

I am thinking you may have to go with a rectangular tank and eliminate some of the fancy angles of the original. You may still be able to get that very tank from Winnebago but the price might be exorbitant!

Schmitti

Do not worry, I'll stay on course and will continue, as before ;) :)

A new tank is not supplied by Winnebago. The cost would be extremely high W% . Alone the freight and customs are enormous tax D:oH! . Even the method of construction I do not like. I'll get him rebuild himself. However, some in a modified form and in stainless steel.

Thomas

joev

I replaced my fresh water tank with a used one out of a trailer paid only $50 Canadian  worked just fine just need to look around a little

Schmitti

I'm sure, in the US or Canada, the tanks are very common. Here to look at rather than rare in Germany. The local RV manufacturer to build a just small tanks where 100 liters already a very rare matter is - what should I do with such a small tank? I decided consciously for a US RV and partly because of the large tanks.
That's why I need not great for a used look out for and will recreate a new stainless steel.

Thomas

Schmitti

Extremely setback $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@!

The good 440 engine it behind :'( . The camshaft is run around, two pistons run without significant performance with only the eight cylinders see generally inside not so good - end $@!#@! $@!#@! .

Next week, the engine comes out and is re-bored and honed. Once everything clean again in New. Thus, I should finally after two years sometimes have a usable Winnebago and can go on vacation.

Thomas

joev

sorry to hear that but I am glad that you are pushing forward with an engine rebuild

Schmitti

It must go on yes and no Motor is a Motorhome just a Home :D

Thomas

Elandan2

Are you going to change to roller tappets?  The reason I ask is that is the reason the cam rounds out.  The new motor oils for gasoline engines do not have enough sulphur additives to protect the camshaft and they wear.  If you are using a flat tappet cam, a good idea is to use diesel engine oil.  There is much more sulphur additive in that type of oil.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Schmitti

Thank you for this advice :)ThmbUp . I'll only once removed and dismantled the engine next week. Then I'll discuss with my engine builder, what we are doing and change it if necessary ???

Thomas

Rickf1985

Roller tappets would be the way to go but that is a fairly expensive conversion. I am not sure about the 440 but I do know the GM engines need the heads machined for screw in rocker studs to hold the push rod guide plates. Does the 440 have pressed in or threaded rocker studs? It has been too long since I worked on one. As Rick said, at least over here in the USA  the oils have reduced sulfur to the point of not enough to lubricate flat tappet cams and everyone with older cars has gone to diesel oils which, while still having reduced sulfur, they still have at least enough for lubrication. Most 15W-40 oils here are diesel oils. You could also add a sulfur additive to the oil.

Schmitti

Another Winnebago is us "running up" ... in the form of a Parfumflacon. Something there were times of Avon (Avon Are there also in the US and is known ?:

The "real" Winni slowly recovers from his engine failure. The motor is by the engine manufacturer, in recent operations.

Thomas