Schmitti's '76 Winnebago

Started by Schmitti, July 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Great job so far!!!  Have a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!!!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Schmitti

Thanks ClydesdaleKevin  :)ThmbUp

Ordered 24h ago and already arrived today. The new 160 liter Dometic should solve our food cooling problem. :)

Between the holidays there is probably something to do here, there will be little boredom. D:oH! :D

Have all a happy and beautiful, merry Christmas :)ThmbUp

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

M & J

M & J

Schmitti

Had enough Christmas. Eaten enough and celebrated, and also done nothing times. Today we went to my workshop. What falls directly out again? Right, for the Winni there is "something" too small. :-[

The engine crane hanging too low ...

... And the columns of the lifting platform are too close.

No matter. 2 ° C external room temperatures are still fully OK. At least it is here sheltered and dry.

The electrician began his work. He built a one switch, which I can now choose my Generators as "input" or "shore power outlet". For in the car I have already laid a cable. This I do not need more cable, which I must lay outside "to the Winni". Laziness has triumphed here. He also stuck to the wall socket for the trailer with the universal electric harness. Say: He connected the cables to the rear lights and I pulled 2 Plus Cable a '2,5² of the battery backwards. 10 meters below the Winni seals and the cable to the existing wiring harness failed in it ... great job.

By the way I have ever managed to expand the old refrigerator.
At first the doors off, so he ever pass through the "front door":

After that completely out:

What a battle. The entire bottom plate of the refrigerator was glued with silicone.
Now I have only times as far as measured everything and can refresh everything back with a wooden tray.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Schmitti

Today I wanted to realize the installation of my refrigerator. From the Winni and the first start attempts are made. The Winni is already a long time "because stupid". Of course, he refused direct his ministry. Battery performance went down very quickly and I took my transporters to give it a jump start. Nope, he does not even so. The starter turns but the engine does not sounds like ignition. The sounds told quite clearly: No fuel or spark. Missing fuel I could exclude. The mech. Gasoline pump had enough time to convey and the tank is likely to be nearly full. So rather lack of spark in my thoughts suspicion. Since I had the problem already times and it was the loose connector from the controller at that time, I checked the times then. What do I have to see? The series resistor is on vaping!

Grmpfl. Start cable disconnected, extended battery and spent in the workshop for charging. If the juice is in full again, I have with a few new cable lugs back to the Winni - seems to be here the contact and the plug "in need of renovation".

Thomas

Rickf1985

Granted, That will have to be repaired. I hate ballast resistors Here is the problem I see, during cranking the ballast resistor is supposed to be bypassed so the engine should have started no matter whether those wires were burnt or not. It should start and die in this case but it should at least start. The reason for this is so the coil gets a full 12 volts during cranking to offset any drop in voltage from the draw of the starter. You may want to go over all of the wiring to make sure your starting circuit is all in order.

Schmitti

In any case, I will renew the connector before the next time you start and ensure a good contact. If he then starts and I can go to my workshop, I check the complete ignition / wiring to the most accurate. I do not want that burns the penultimate eyebrow Winni in Germany.

Thomas

sasktrini

With the key in start position, resistor should have zero volts input normally, or bypassed in Rick's words.  Would not prevent starting, but as soon as key goes to run position, engine would stop... So I agree with Rick that there could be a problem with wiring in the starting circuit.  Possibly the ignition switch, if you have not already replaced it.

With the burned ballast resister / wiring:  "Start" should work, "Run" should not work.
Corey aka sasktrini

Rickf1985

Corey, You may still be getting voltage to the resistor during cranking but the resistor would not be active since there would also be 12 volts coming to the other side of it from the coil being fed from the starting circuit. This way as soon as the key is let off you have instant power with no lag. I would have to see the diagram for this particular vehicle since I have seen it both ways. That burned plug was common on Dodge ballast resistors. I never replaced it with a factory plug, I always soldered on new dedicated connectors. Not original but they never burned either.

Rickf1985

You are getting better at this Schmitti, now you know right where to go to find the problem. I just wish you could get out for a trip with no problems. I have never seen anyone persevere through as much as you have with this vehicle. Most people would have burned it by now!

Schmitti

Thanks for your nice words Rick  :)
I may have not given up, because I have a "pig-headed" D:oH! . Maybe it's just a legacy of my grandfather, who always said: This is to repair - can re-buy any. The work is indeed a certain extent hobby and fun. However, I must admit, that is a little less work on Winni would also be nice  ???

Thomas

DaveVA78Chieftain

2 red wires are power to resistor (from ignition switch)
black is coil +
green is feed back to ignition module
pink is the start bypass (comes from ignition switch)

http://dave78chieftain.com/Dodge_Electron02.html
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

You could always go with a MSD ignition and that would eliminate the failure prone ballast resistor, Chrysler ECM  and the failure prone coil. All you would be using from the original system is the pickup in the distributor. Not really all that expensive when you consider towing and associated costs with breakdowns.

Schmitti

Thanks for your ideas, tips and suggestions :)ThmbUp .
I've already thought about whether I should not rebuild the complete ignition. Bosch is there a variety of high-volume products that are to be acquired for little money and have proven themselves anyway. It will probably result in a different coil and such a module:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/390914832079?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thomas

Schmitti

Fortunately, it is currently a little warmer and I could at least sometimes to expand the defective parts.
In particular, both plug out

... Since both plugs were totally "welded", also the Dual Ballast Resistor is broken

Fortunately I can get all the parts simply and shortly in Germany. The will arrive the days and before I retrofits ignition may, I go only on an in-depth troubleshooting.

Thomas

Nhageman812

This thing is a huge inspiration for my project! Definitely will be watching this one!

-Nick

Schmitti

Thank you. I am glad that may be my blog for other inspiration or even a help.

Auto electrical ... infinite, unfathomable expanses ... the devil's son ... $@!#@!

The sun is shining, 14 ° C, dry parking. Again the cabling checked - nothing. Launch attempt - nothing connected battery times with building battery - nothing- the result remains. As indeed may adopt a new starter, I have the expanded Y-pipe from, heat shield from, cable, the 2 bolts out ... for the action, of course, everything marvelously accessible directly via the front sitting must be ran from 3 different positions for. From above through the wheel well, from the bottom front of the axle and of course also from behind the axle. Then get rotated the strand and examined. All apparent gears OK ... again examined under the Winni and the teeth of the flywheel ... also OK. Cigarette break. Beige brings jumper cables and connected the battery to the starter - perfect functioning as it should .... CRAP. The complete work again and all range screwed backwards again ... Result: It is what it is. 3h work to know that the starter is in order - to know something is already times good W%

It must accordingly does not agree with the + power supply. All grounds are where they belong, and OK. To test, I even created an additional degree line directly - without success :-[ $@!#@!
... There is a case for the electrician and I will join from.

Thomas

Schmitti

joanfenn

Great job Thomas, everything looks great :)clap :)ThmbUp

Schmitti

M & J

M & J

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Check power wiring at floorboard of steering wheel.   The halfmoon connector for the ignition switch is a known trouble spot.
[move][/move]

Schmitti

Great. I thank you for this tip and it will report to the electrician :)ThmbUp :) :)clap

Thomas

cosmic

Nice work. made it look like it happened so fast. when we know how much blood sweat and tears must have went into all your hard work.
you encourage me!