Schmitti's '76 Winnebago

Started by Schmitti, July 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Schmitti

Sunny Saturday and a lot to do ... from the workshop:

This seemed so beautiful the sun, I decided to stay outside and to work there. All roof structures wait yes in the hall on their installation. Accordingly, it therefore went.
First Step - Clean and cut EPDM roof sheeting:

Skylight with 2 layers of source tape for sealing is provided:

EPDM sealant additionally inserted in between:

screwed:

... And the inner frame used:

So was working with all skylights and the air conditioning was not forgotten. Accordingly, the roof in the front section now looks like this:

.... At the rear of:

In the future it will be easier on the roof. Universal RV accessory makes it possible. It only needs to be slightly adapted and assembled:

Then the showpiece from the United States mounted. A simple chrome ring, I ordered a total of 4x but only 1x supplied from a US forum was reliable:

Thanks to JessEm !!

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

JessEm

Nice job, Schmitti! Well done!  :)clap

Schmitti

Thanks guys  :)

We went today and also in the most beautiful sunshine. Various little things were still being processed. First, the construction of air conditioning was reconnected inside and provided with her disguise. Then it was really important on ... but it just had to be lying ready Duck "Death Proof Duck" from the movie Convoy was adapted and assembled:

After that it was demanding. The Water supply / disposal is yet to be completed and tested. So I started with the waste water. Both slide naturally open and firmly. A wire brush, WD40 and gentle violence helped here pretty quickly to do everything to move again. With a watering can, it has now been tested. In all drains (toilet, sink and shower) the first tentative liters were poured. In Winni the lines and their connections are sealing - but unfortunately not slide. So again ran and they opened several times and closed. Apparently here was just a little old dirt "stuck" because using the simple half well here.
Now, the water supply was my turn. The water pump and a water filter were indeed in Winni ... however loosely and in a compartment. So, at first install and connect to the original place - with no cable was found. Cable laid and connected, this humming ever. Now back to fetch water with a watering can and pour in the fresh water tank. The first 15Liter splashing around, just have a look and sift everything. As far as drying and found to be OK. This stands the little obliquely, these liters collected of course, where she needs none. At the other end of the tank - opposite the pump connection. Next pot ... another ... and another - gives summa sumarum about 60 liters. Clean turn in the Winni and the pump. Behold, it happens sometimes nothing. No water is drawn. In return, showing a hole in the tank, which probably once sat a fastening screw. Frantically the laboriously contributed liter regarding the expiry drained, because the good broth wanted in the direction of the fuse box. Runs extremely natural and super fast ... from a 6-year boy can drain quickly and more. During draining, protecting, wipe and absorb with a cloth, looking for an idea to close the hole. Various screws I had tangible. M5 through, M6 also falls, M8 to Dick - aha, is indeed a Ami, accordingly inch is here announced. Sure, I've beige obsolete and made with an M8 taps only once the hole used as a mass-produced electric screwdriver in your pocket. A suitable M8 screw, including a rubber gasket for roofing profiles I had happened to have also in the van. I shot additionally provided with the roof sealant and pure. Now the construct may even dry and only then we start with the test all over again.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

ClydesdaleKevin

Love the duck!  Quack quack!

Kev

Schmitti

Last week I again can I steal time to make the Winni finish and bring home. That was at least the theoretical idea and plan $@!#@! .
Where the Winni is just, I wanted to bring him closer to tap the fresh water tank now to test and also to flush. Nope. He will not start. After several test's I found out that power arrives at the ignition ... but not get out. Ignition Coil I had then directly expanded as a pattern to the part search easier at my local US parts dealers. OK, then again run at the watering can and. ... I'm walking ... After the 5th jug disillusionment. My waterproofing works and is sealing. However, the joy was short-lived. A fitting of the tank also proves to be leaking and the soup is now running out under the seating group. Open faucet to drain, rags at and swabbed again. the problem is now parked and must wait. That's just what I have to complete the seating group to expand only once to get drann there. The time now I have not got the time being.
A 30-liter jerry cans I have now provided in order to have water for the toilet. The remaining water will be purchased in six-packs - that would be the solution for Lösnich (US Motorhome meeting) ... if the problem of the ignition coil is fixed and I also find the time, because my provider (which certainly in its huge storage has) is for shopping in the States.
Always the same. If I ever intend thing, it can not walk easily and smoothly

A new ignition coil I had found quickly. Then we went to Winni. Ignition coil pure, clamped and brought in a spark plug wire. A spark plug plugged in, fixed to the ground and turned the ignition key. What can I say ... spark not there, does not exist - not even rudimentary. Grmpfl. Once again all the cables tested, disassembled and examined the distribution ... everything is OK and approved. At twilight the phone seized, because I had something like a blackout, and a friend called to me to bring fresh ideas. After diveren go through all the sources of error, we agreed that it probably has to be the controlling part and I had already checked at this time - the weekend, and the Winni ... gas canisters idea that probably every had. After the phone call I got a spontaneous idea - Three well defined strokes with a ratchet on the crap thing and just do it again roll over the key ... the goat jumps to. Tool stowed quickly from the gas station and home - end and all is well  :)ThmbUp

Thomas

Rickf1985

That sounds like you had a bad ground from the distributor to the block and the banging moved it enough to make a ground. There should be a gasket under the distributor so the ground path is through the distributor clamp, Make sure it is clean and tight. It also will ground through the shaft and gear to the camshaft but that is not a good path due to oil and gear clearance. Not dependable. I don't think I have ever seen anyone with as bad luck as you are having with this and yet you keep a good outlook. Must be the wine, or have you moved up to Schnapps?

M & J

Schnapps?! Auf keinen Fall. Feine Bayern- Bier.

(Hell no, fine Bavarian beer)  YA!  Lol  :)
M & J

Schmitti

Even this ground connection I checked Rick :)ThmbUp :) . It was clear, the controller (Chrysler Electronic Ignition) D:oH!
I thought I could now and then become an alcoholic - but hey, that life is too beautiful, to make it even bad. Problems on RIG are more challenges and therefore nothing bad W% .

I like to drink plain a beer, a good wine or a whiskey ... but I can well live without :angel: . On weekends we have Motorhome meetings celebrated our debut in the circle of a US - that was fun and also Promille sustainably ;) :D

Thomas

Rickf1985

I keep forgetting you have a Dodge and not a Chevy. Those electronic units in the distributor were very troublesome. You might want to get a spare or two.

Schmitti

Rickf1985

You might also want to consider keeping a pick up coil as a spare too. These are probably not standard parts in the parts stores over there.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=942986&cc=1078297&jnid=471&jpid=2

Oh, And the ballast resistor

Schmitti

The pick-up coil and the ballast resistor is already new and readily available, since they are standard parts. For that I need to go only in one US parts store and they are on the shelf. For European conditions even very low. The ignition coil here costs 18 â,¬ (about 20.31 US dollars)

Schmitti

It continues with the rest of work. In the rear wheel houses I glued a sound. The thin plastic wheel arches were a bit noisy and rough tires are also not exactly quiet. To use I took rest material for sound-insulated blinds box with a small thermal protection.
Wheelhouses with acetone (for a lot of fresh air !!!) washed, cut plates "threaded" and pulled off the protective film of the adhesive layer, pressed and ready.

Power extremely positive effect :)ThmbUp :)

Now the problem of leaking fresh water tank was screwed. Go to work and expand the corner seat of the Winni. Then four holders came here to talk easily to the fore:

The actual origin of the leak:

Carpet ripped out, once again 500 staples pulled out and turned screws:

What my eyes see? Rusty holder and screws that were glued with silicone $@!#@!

Out with it and beige bring rubber seals:

What is on a timber, but that does not rot the screws can corrode so?

Holder rehabilitated, the threaded holes pumped full of sealant, all bolted to the screw even enough of it and again:

... And screwed to conclude the fiddly corner seat fittings ... fortunately there are now small but strong enough battery's and bit holders were also on hand:

Thomas

TripleJ

Does that picture show that the fresh water tank is secured by driving screws into the tank?? ???

I might have opted to remove those screw mounts altogether and opt for a strap over the tank
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

Schmitti

Yes, unfortunately the screws go into the tank in a pure art sleeves. Another attachment would also prefer me and I have to do is come up with something sensible.

Thomas

Schmitti

I had after 500Km serious problems with the spacer. The included paper seal was found unsuitable $@!#@! . The included paper seal was found unsuitable. The now directly ordered in the US carburetor socket base gasket  has arrived.

Contrary to the thin paper seal, I hope a greater tightness, since it is considerably thicker and more flexible. Accordingly, I ran directly and have expanded the carburetor. Freed all parts of the provisional sealants and directly stated that now the studs are too short.

Search again, order, wait time, and then hope for the hoped-for success.

Thomas

Schmitti

This is again an act that brings me to despair. I hate cable :-[ . However, I would indeed pull a trailer and accordingly the electrics to there must be installed on Winni.

Since I get my dear electrician to and leave it alone ;) .

Thomas

Schmitti

I have found matching studs and also get ...

... Thus could take place the reassembly of the carburetor today.
Time was something there and the weather was dry times. The old stud out rotated, who turned new, seal it, Spacer top, next top seal, carburettor it and bolted. Throttle cable, return spring and gearbox lever reassembled, beige brings key and possibly ignition. Nothing, Battery empty. After I connected the power cable and started up the generator, the charger has laid on the battery. Short waited a little and the key turned again ... the beast is back among the living WHILE the engine was running, I put away the cable back on and off the generator - motor from the battery has clearly too little electricity directly. I have now expanded and connected to the charger at home. There are probably tomorrow then retest.

Pleasing there anyway. The first part of the "draft horse" has the Winni already behind. The completely up to 3500kg tested and approved towbar is fitted.

Even if the towbar is free entry, I'll let you record in the papers. In Germany, something not easy. Everything needs registration papers and test numbers. Then I'll leave out the locksmith in me something, because I like the giant steel plate of the substructure not really. This is simply too low. It is not the question of whether we eventually put in order by the overhang, but rather when - because we put so be sure.

Thomas

LJ-TJ

Schmitti if the only thing holding that hitch on is the bumper! your going to peel that bumper right off the motorhome. If you look up under the back of the motorhome you'll see were the factory added an extension on to the back of the full frame of the motorhome. My suggestion is for you to go back to that part of the frame and bolt a piece of steel across the width of the frame inside to inside. Then run a bar from the center of that bar up to the bottom of the trailer hitch and weld it to the hitch. That would be my best guess. That bumper hitch might tow a little utility trailer........maybe. i??

Schmitti

Hi LJ-TJ
Look on the first or last image closely. The last image I have just edited, since the previous one has been shown twice. I know this is hard to read it. As you maybe can see the console, which is inserted in the original frame approach. So stable the bumper is also - as I hang anything on it.
I cling to the times an eBay link, so it is probably explainable.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Anhangerkupplung-FORD-F150-F250-F350-DODGE-RAM-1500-2500-HUMMER-H1-H2-H3-hitch-/262019549403

Thomas

Rickf1985

Schmitti, you were not taking the battery cable off and on while it was running were you? That is a good way to blow the diodes out in the alternator!

Schmitti

Yes, the risk was aware :-[ . Unfortunately, I had to work alone, so it had to go quickly - minimizing risk W%

Thomas

Schmitti

A "flying fuse" 20A that is hidden installed in the wiring harness of the control unit, was to blame, that the engine was not running $@!#@! . Following the renewal of 440cui also ran fine again and the carburetor has been tested for leaks, using brake cleaner. Sealing it is now back. Then it went off again to the engine tester.

Both cylinder banks were again set clean. Now it can go on tour again. :)clap

Thomas