Schmitti's '76 Winnebago

Started by Schmitti, July 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

That's correct, we do have these manuals in ebook format in the store.  :) :)ThmbUp 

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=209

Ordering also includes a free, one year membership upgrade which gives access to our huge library of other manuals as well as other member benefits!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

With the E-manuals you should be able to try out different translators to see if there are others that work better. The carburetor spacer will give you a problem in setting the idle mixture for one thing, it will be very touchy to set. And when you are driving down the road you will probably have a big flat spot when you hit the gas, this will be from the open spacer. Try to get the right one from Edelbrock when you can.

Schmitti

After a long break it was again today at the Winni. CO² a test was carried out and had a good result ...

.... Ever no Co² in the cooling water.

Then we went again with the oscilloscope to the engine in order to adjust it to clean. Since there is still no clear results and after a long search, we found a leak on the intake manifold, where secondary air is drawn in. In plain language - order again new seals, disassemble, inspect, reassemble ...

Positive, there are also reported. After a long search I found a fitting manual in the States. To select stand a used print version or digital CD. I opted for the used book, because I can go there also wonderful use, without first having to fire up a PC.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Oz

Gotta have a manual for sure, but you could have gotten our digital one and just printed off the pages you need as you need them.  That way, you don't have to be so careful as with an original manual tying not to get smudges on it, rip pages, etc.  With the digital version, you can also add all kinds of notes you'd want handy without having to write in the limited space on the pages of the hard copy.  Oh, and that hard copy doesn't get you a free, Full membership here with all its benefits like our digital version does.

Just some additional benefits of having a digital version from CWVRV.   :) :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Schmitti

@Oz ... I'll be later on you ;)

Since I am currently lancer really busy, now my little brother goes to the engine. The leaking intake manifold must down to seal and troubleshooting. We have ever shared removes the unnecessary vacuum hoses:
Here is a wild jumble recognizable:

Small parts, carburetor and intake manifold down and laboriously collected dirt of the last 39 years is now out of the interspace to light:

Also, the sealing plate must come down:

One might think here it might be a little leaky.

I'm pretty sure even there:

The V of the V8 is now completely open:

Now all parts are cleaned and waiting for the replacement. A complete sealing package and the sheet have been appointed since yesterday and tomorrow is expected to arrive here about it.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

FastGlassman69

You should be running much better after taking care of that set of leaks! :)ThmbUp You have done a fine job on that Winnie! Bobby :)clap

LJ-TJ

Amazing, absolutely amazing. :)ThmbUp

Schmitti

Today all the parts have arrived and were also installed directly again. Finally, we want to go tomorrow with the Winni and over the weekend on a mountain race - if tomorrow the motor can be adjusted.
The new sealing sheet:

... And once again completely assembled:

Thomas

M & J

M & J

Schmitti

With our small "rolling building site" we venture increasingly into Camping Feeling. Even if there is a "rolling building site" is still, we have the Winni visited a mountain race weekend. The water came out of the canister and the current from the battery - or the charge of the unit. Since the revision and adjustment of the engine of the Winni runs flawlessly and draws clean up the mountains. Only point of criticism is still the "fire up" the little ones - he likes so not ... if it runs but everything is fine.

Thomas

LJ-TJ

Sweet is the taste of Victory. :)clap Well done Mate.

Schmitti

Schmitti

The Winni fits but actually before my own workshop  :)clap :D 50cm air were still in the driveway  :laugh:
Once there, I have expanded the thermostat for testing. This I suspected that's wrong and partly responsible for the pressure.

Thomas

Schmitti

Wow, now the engine is running properly :)clap - up to the water system, which is still unchecked but now I care about the consumption something. Currently we are at 6.3 mls per gallon :-[ . As is likely to require action.

Thomas

Schmitti

As well known already in the blog "Travel", the Winni has a serious engine problem :-[ . Since I do not get it regulated time, he is now in a US Motor Home Workshop - from there came yesterday a call, with the diagnosis. The cylinder head of the right bank is corroded and must be replaced $@!#@! :'( . Now I'm curious to see how it goes. When I am gone my flu, I'm going to go to the workshop and to talk to the owners times.

Thomas

Rickf1985

That is interesting. I have not heard of that before unless they mean the head surface is gouged from the gasket being blown out. I doubt that because it does not sound like you were losing compression, just water. I would like to see a picture of it. It sounds like something that could be repaired y machining the head but the main problem there is twofold. You would have to do both heads to keep the engine power in balance because, and this is the second problem. It is going to raise the compression. If you raise the compression by much at all you will have problems finding fuel to run without preignition. In other words you would need high octane gas, at 6 MPG. OUCH! At German prices! Triple OUCH!! ??? ??? ???
454 heads are not very hard to find here and probably much cheaper than over there. A friend of mine who lives in Germany imports stuff all the time in his business in containers. If you need to get them from here I can get his number and I am sure he would help you out. I had mentioned him to you before, he is into rally cars also.

Schmitti

Yes, they are 6mpg not what I like - here is something else to do.
That I have to work on both heads / sides, I am aware and is also so happened. Pictures I can send to, how do I get out of bed here. The flu has me already under control $@!#@! .

Thomas

Rickf1985

Rest and fluids, That is all you can do. After following this thread since the beginning I doubt you are going to rest so at least drink the fluids, and that does not mean the German national drink, BEER! I sent an e-mail to my friend over there, I will let you know when I hear back from him.
Get well.

M & J

Beer? Someone say beer?

Get well soon Schmitti.
M & J

tiinytina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

M & J

M & J

Rickf1985

I said earlier that the 454 heads are not that hard to find here and now I realize you are working on a 440. D:oH! Probably still cheaper over here. My German friend got back to me and said no problem on shipping so if you need his contact info I have it.

Rick

TerryH

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Schmitti

The joke of the matter is, if you sit at the source of the beer, you drink it any more. As much as I drink one time - I've been drinking this year perhaps 10 x 0.33l it  :laugh: ;)
I have found so far several 440 heads here in Germany - but I still have no statement or comparison options, if there are differences from the car 440 to 440 trucks in the heads  i??
Thank you for your help  :)ThmbUp

Thomas

joev

yes there is a difference in the heads your engine is most likely a 440-3 motorhome engine it has extra cooling passages in the head  where a regular car 440 doesn't  the 440-3 uses a tapered spark plug RV12YC champion and car engine is RJ12YC with a gasket