Schmitti's '76 Winnebago

Started by Schmitti, July 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elandan2

Congratulations.  It certainly is a relief to get through a safety check.  When we moved from BC to Ontario, we needed an inspection.  Well, I was out of town when the garage called and said that there were some things wrong but they couldn't get any of the parts so they wouldn't be able fix it and it could not pass.  Of course my wife was almost in tears when she called me.  I don't know why it was so difficult though; after a few minutes of searching on the internet, I had ordered all the parts necessary and the next week the motorhome was back home with new plates.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

Can you imagine doing all of this before the internet? And I was restoring cars back then. You found parts the old fashioned way, yard sales, flea markets, classifieds in newspapers. (remember newspapers?) Thomas would have been out of luck back then.

cosmic

Great work Thomas..  :)ThmbUp  you have inspired me to paint my rig this summer..

Froggy1936

Rick you forgot, There were junkyards everywhere , Till they made them clean up and fence in the unsightly ! A lot just vanished !
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

True, for some reason I did not put in the obvious. I used to love to wander the yards just to look around, even when I did not need anything in particular. I always came out with something. The U-Pull it yards were the best. I am not a small guy so the yards that had the sales where if you could drag it out it would cost 50 or 100 bucks I was all over them. I also had a buddy who was 350 lbs. of muscle, We would harness him to an old hood and drop a big block Chevy on it and head for the gate. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao That yard hated to see us two coming! Ahhh, The good old days. probably why I am two steps from a wheelchair due to my back. Hm? W%

Schmitti

I thank you all that you share my joy so  :) :) .

Sure, I am very pleased and relieved that the Winni at least allowed on the road. For a real motor home I have to work a variety of hours of it - but that will not end well.

I have 20years ago started to screw as a hobby in the car and at work - without internet and remember well how it was :)rotflmao .

Cosmic:
I have inspired you to make your Winni new ??? :-) That makes me a little pride and publishing to the same, because I know that you've got it like the original :-[ .

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Schmitti

An eventful weekend. It started on Saturday in a US car repair shop to adjust the ignition and carburetor.
Using a Bosch tester succeeded quite well so far:

It was found that the carburetor base gasket leaking slightly and therefore false air is drawn.
Crap thing:

This creates a clean setting was impossible and the engine was set at about 30% too rich. This allowed us to 14.30 (2.30pm) by the Winni wipe short, purely throw some clothes and various other bits and pieces and go on a camping Oldie meeting. Here we obtained through a friend an invitation. The accessibility of 112mls / 180,3KM went so far is pretty straightforward - if the Navi would not have chased by extreme roads in the Hunsrück us. The steep inclines and hairpin bends mastered the Winni pretty confident - but it dragged on pure gasoline also 38,5l to 100KM.
Arrival at the 5 star campsite in Oberweis at the Prüm, at sunset:

After that I went to the Winni levelers to align and connect the power. Since this weekend's meant to be a test and also as our reward for the last 10 months, of course, the "cups up" went directly:

The next morning was perfect to make a special picture for us. The proud owner of the pretty Winni, the new Plate and the Champus, which was emptied following

We were very nearly the largest motorhome on the spot and our (welcoming) Major had be the smallest team - realized that something must also be noted:

The home turned out to be quite problematic. I ignored the Navi and I focused on using my mental map, we drove mostly highway. In quite uniform 80-90KM / h (50-55mls / h) "satisfied" with the Winni 35l to 100KM.

Conclusion from the weekend:
In the electric is still the typo, the fridge has apparently given up the ghost, the Winni consumes too much water (ca.7l to 150KM) ... but the two nights were beautiful and very relaxing.
Soon it is so back to the workshop to fix the error and make the expansion completed.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Rickf1985

I am glad to see you got your first trip in. hat picture of yours next to the Smart and mini camper is funny. I think this is also the first time we have seen you in a picture!!! The loss of water is troublesome if it is in the engine, I really hope it is just a leak somewhere and not a head gasket. You have had enough problems. You have earned the good old fashioned American drink on the table.

Oz

Awesome RV.  It's just begging for that final touch... the Winnebago "W", stripe, and model name on the side, and the flying Winnebago shields on the eyebrow and the back.

:)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Schmitti

@Rick:
Thanks  :) , but I'm afraid just the head gasket and have them in the narrow suspicion  $@!#@!

@Oz:
Also you I thank you for the encouragement :) . The lateral labeling of the model name is already used by Tina in work  ;) but with the "flying W", I can not quite make friends W% .

Thomas

Rickf1985

If you suspect the head gaskets and if you have someone with an emissions tester just check for hydrocarbons at the radiator cap. They also sell a chemical that you add to a sample of the antifreeze and if there are hydrocarbons in it then it will change color.

Schmitti

Yes, I know the systems in order to check the CO content in the cooling water. However, I will start very soon a pressure test on the cooling circuit. Even the cover of the radiator is sometimes replaced, because that is something suspicious.

Thomas

Schmitti

The new carburetor base for the Edelbrock carburetor with new seals ever arrived. Now the pressure test and possibly a new vote can be done on the engine.

Thomas

Oz

FYI for all members:  We have antifreeze/coolant and cooling system pressure test documents in the Member Area.

:)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Schmitti

@Oz: ... that's class - if I could read them  :-[ $@!#@! - do you think the fact that I am using Goggle by propose here? :)rotflmao $@!#@!
I'm just learning 10 months "on the side" to re-read in English :-[ - since I have the Winni ;)

Thomas

cosmic

Schmitti your doing just fine.. :)ThmbUp we all speak Winnebago on this site... :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

TripleJ

Schmitti, I noticed that you are using an Edelbrock #1806 carb and the RPC brand carburetor base?  Be aware that in many Edelbrock carburetor installation manuals, they state do not use "open type" carb base adapters when installing to a quadrajet or a thermoquad intake manifold.  Edelbrock wants you to use their 4 hole type carb adapter kit.

Im not sure how this will affect your setup, but just something to be aware of.

Also, Edelbrock states to ensure to no more than 6.5 p.s.i. at the carb fuel inlet. This is important with an edelbrock.  I have regulated my fuel to 5p.s.i. and it runs much better than before

Perhaps these two things will help you pass the testing :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

Schmitti

Thanks for the hint. On the fast no other socket was available. If there are problems with the set, I've ever seen a possible source of error. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

Thomas

LJ-TJ

;) Hey Schmitti, I would have never guessed that you didn't speak English.  :laugh: Your doing a fine job. Seems everyone is understanding you just fine. Keep up the good work. As Vic says we all speak Winnebago here. :)ThmbUp

Schmitti

Hmmm, now I have a big problem  :D - the translator of Google has no "Winnebago" in his attitude  :)rotflmao i?? :)rotflmao

Thomas

Schmitti

I must urgently improve my English :) . Today I get here in Germany a manual :)clap .
While it is not for 1976 but it seems to be pretty equal to me. Unfortunately, it is only borrowed, and I am now looking further, if I get a suitable copy for me.

Thomas

LJ-TJ

Hey Schmitti, I think you can down load these manuals from the members site right onto you computer. If not if you have E-bay where your at these are the manuals you might want to get.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Dodge+Motor+Home+Chassis+Service+Manual&_sacat=0

For sure you want the Dodge Motor Home Chassis Service Manual Models M-300,M-375,RM-300,RM-350,RM-400
That one covers all the Chassis stuff you'll need to know.

Schmitti

Yes, no matter whether I possess here downloade or as a book - I can not read it (yet) completely :)rotflmao :angel: $@!#@! :-[ . The pictures help very much W% .
Advantage of the book but is also, I can take it in Winni and maybe help me in case of any mishap. Even if I had a workshop, I can provide the data directly in paper form. ;) :)

Thomas

LJ-TJ

Ok Schmitti in my opinion along with the manual I just suggested here are the others I believe are a must have. Really there worth the money and you won't regret buying them.
Motor Home Chassis Parts Catalog
Models 1969-73 M-300,M-375
            1973-74 RM-300, RM-350,RM-400
            1975      M-300, M-400, M-500
            1976      M-300, M-400, M-500, M-600

Motor Home Chassis Parts Catalog
Models  M-300, M-375
             RM-300, RM-350, RM-400

Dodge Motor Home Chassis
1974-75 Service Manual Supplement
Models RM-300, RM-350, RM-400
            M-300, M-400, M-500
Now I have a 1975 21' Brave and I know nothing about Winnebago's until I found this bunch of hooligans. They helped me get started and once I found these manuals life got a hole lot easier. I think you may be able to down load these off this site if not hunt them down on E-bay you won't be sorry.

M & J

Hooligan........

I resemble that statement...
M & J