Schmitti's '76 Winnebago

Started by Schmitti, July 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schmitti

Since the fuel gauge nothing indicating a defect in the fuel sender was suspected. For the tank under the Winni had to be dismantled. The mounting position of the encoder can be no other alternative. The fastening of the tank itself must have been designed by an engineer - no worker would solve it so bad.
The rusted tank:

The encoder when removed:

The source of error was not the donors themselves, but the installation position of the float. This is stuck on the outer wall of the tank and could therefore only "empty" view.

Since nothing is installed rusty and the situation permits it just wonderful, I have the tank ado sanded, primed and coated with black stone guard.

While the paint dried, it started with the roof. The rafters get a sealing tape for external connection to aluminum exterior wall:

Looks in detail like this:

And over the length, you can imagine it better:

The plate itself is again secured with clamps to the wood.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

LJ-TJ

Schmitti

Thank you LT-TJ  :)

The lath frame is calibrated, aligned, fitted and screwed:

Also, the first exchange for a roof hatch is ready:

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

LJ-TJ

I'm sure you already know this.But if you have a roof air conditioner or if you may put one on down the road you may want to beef up the roof framing were it will attache to the roof. I'm sure you have noticed that on all these old girls the roof sags where the roof air conditioner mounts because over time that's the week spot on the roof.

Schmitti

Yes, I even have noticed when buying Winni`s, the sagging roof in this area. It is hardly surprising, since the incorporated wood has no bearing on the support of the roof.
Here's a relief / or hopefully an improvement is incorporated.

Thomas

LJ-TJ

Good man. See I knew you new that. D:oH!

Schmitti

eXodus

looks nice, have you got any slope from the middle to the sides ?

You won't need an Air-conditioner in Germany for most times of the year. Maybe two or three weeks, it's never that hot :P

Schmitti

Yes, currently the roof depends slightly visible. However, it is not yet fully braced - but compared to the old roof, it is almost straight  ;) :)

How often do I get the A / C unit need to be seen, because the black roof will attract the sun already  Hm?

Thomas

eXodus

exterior color makes little to no difference how the temperature is inside. Where are you in Germany ? I was from Bavaria and we had little to no summer for the last 10 years.

You know that most new RVs are black or Dark colored ? Reflection is much more important ! Keep it shiny.

Windows are the main point of heat entry. Get some shade over the windows is much more efficient then painting the whole thing in white.

M & J

I beg to differ exodus. We have a shiney black coach and its gets hot as hell parked in the sun. We always try to camp where we have only morning sun so its shaded before noon and after. Even with an aluminum roof. The rooftop can barely keep up on the hottest days if we dont have shade.
I think the reason the newer ones can get away with it because of better, higher efficiency insulation these old girls dont have.
Shine has little to do with the heat absorbsion. A dirty white car will always be cooler than the shiniest black car. Shine may reflect the light but the color is what absorbs the thermal energy.
M & J

eXodus

I don't tell you it makes no difference, white is better then black. But if you would cover you windows from the sun the effect would be much bigger.

if you would have a shiney white one you would be also cooked.

The sun is producing a lot of energy in different wavelength and our Eye is only able to see a very small spectrum of it. Most of the heat comes from infrared radiation, and for infrared is the color of the coach principle not a big concern. You need something which is reflection the infrared, and this is the shine.

Zink or Silver are very good infrared reflectors. Newer coaches are painted in metallic paints, which reflect far more infrared then any uni lack every before.

Schmitti

Whatever. What color now receives more or less sun, I almost does not matter. I have to come to terms with the material, what I can get. I had a choice between the matt black or light gray rubber. I have now times chose the matte black - because to me the quality of the material was more important and therefore has a higher priority. With the light gray rubber sheet I would have to compromise and trade-offs that I would not.
Really hot it is here in the area of Mainz (Germany means) a maximum of 2-3 weeks a year. However, should the Winni yes standing around not only here on the doorstep. So I would like to transverse drive through Germany or sometimes to Italy or Spain to the beach. We will just have to see how warm it is inside.

In the future there will be less important, since I still intended to do with what the roof surface. Currently there is not yet ripe or important because I am plagued by other problems. Our laws have been changed :'( . Previously you could with special marks on lead or test drive a car - whether or not Streatlegal ... in 6 weeks, there are not any more  $@!#@! . This means in plain text, I have to be ready in 6 weeks to be able to make simple a decrease in traffic Agency (TÃœV). If I can not do it, it gets weird and complicated.

Thomas

Schmitti

Many small sites have been processed on weekends.
Two new (shared) tank tapes I made - so the tank can back to the car
Three wheel arches and painted rust from - because the new wheels can then upon receipt ran again
After that, I have dedicated myself to the problem of old paint. Since I now have the Winni, I racking my brain as I can abrade the sheet. The "mountains" are not an issue - the "valleys" are only 45mm wide and I can not find a machine that - so the approximately 40 square meters with a sanding block to sand by hand  $@!#@!

Thomas

Schmitti

The tank has migrated to the new tank straps back under the car and connected ready:

On the roof, it was with the last stiffeners and Go further:

The insulation is again added:

Then the roof panels come from 4mm plastic on it:

Then looks at the full as follows:

For the new EPDM liner does not rub against the screw and the shocks are first for yourself sealing, everything is taped with a Alutape:

Of course, beyond the outer corner:

The new tires for the rear axle are also already arrived:

Thomas

Schmitti

The edges of the side walls are lined with a plastic bracket. This is already glued with a sealant:

The angle was also glued to the Alutape.

Now the EPDM liner comes on to the roof. This was straightened out and repulsed:

The first half of the roof coated with the adhesive:

Also, the film itself:

Repulse iron out wrinkles and repeat the procedure with the rear half. Unfortunately, I have a photograph Forgot here.

Laterally, the film is also glued and riveted flat material with an aluminum:

Thomas

sasktrini

Good job!  Excellent progress!
Corey aka sasktrini

LJ-TJ

Schmitti

Thank you for your feedback positive  :)

Thomas

Rickf1985

That is a lot of work in a short time! I am impressed.

cosmic

you have done something here that most of us wish we could accomplish in a life time. cheers to you my friend. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)
thank you for publishing it all for the world to see... bravo. Schmitti.

Schmitti

@ Rick1985:
I now work at the Winni in the seventh month - but as I said, I must in March to our technical inspection ... therefore it must be done quickly and I will indeed on vacation.

@ Cosmic:
Who wants to implement the work that creates well. The will and some skill course help immensely, the back a little and functioning piece of jewelry is from an old camper.

I find this forum great  :)ThmbUp . Feedback, advice, assistance and expertise to help everyone. I was also already helped directly and I picked a lot of other - why should I publish my work then not ... it's just fair to all ;) :) .

Today we went a bit further. The roof is now completely enclosed laterally and dried. Unfortunately, it has thrown a few unsightly bubbles - but what should have no impact tightness ... and that's the most important thing to me:

The new pads have been received and tentatively inserted times.
One of the two Couch:

In the dining room:

Also, the bed - including a short practice test.

Thomas

Schmitti

The new tires are mounted directly times.
The tires on the rear axle, which also require grip for wet meadow:

... And what to keep for the front axle track:

When fitting the hubcaps, I unfortunately have to find the missing me 10 retaining clips. If anyone has or knows what a shopping resource, he can feel free to contact me.
Descriptive Images:

Because these are mounted on the passenger side of the wheels, I could dismantle the last wheels on the rear axle / driver side.
What I had to discover it? Inconspicuously lost his inner wheel and the outer air, decrepit wheel was on:

Horror !!

But there was also a delight. On the soles own standing, the Winni looks much better now from:

Thomas

Schmitti

Schmitti

The miserable grinding of the outer sheet metal dress has begun. But to the eye it was before the first color accents:

Thomas