HR under cabinet led upgrade and outlets

Started by circleD, July 15, 2014, 11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

I had a 120 AC light mounted to the under side of my cabinets that was plugged into the wall near the stove. Even though it didn't take up much room I wanted to open up the view I had and also have a 12v light there so I could run off of batteries with no invertors or have to rely on a AC power supply. When I took the light down I noticed a 1'' hole on the underside of the cabinet and so curious me went poking around and found a white and black wire. I checked to see what voltage it was and it was 12v then was told by other HR owners that they had a 12v florescent light there but I wanted something less power consuming. I have a variety of led strip lights and since the wife will be in the kitchen more than me (NOT) I let her decide what shade of white to use and she chose the warm white like a halogen. I have also removed my space maker coffee maker to make more room since we don't use the stove, we utilize crock pots and hot plates. So I'm going to try and explain the HASSLE this simple project actually was.

First, there is a double floor on the cabinets which means that the bottom of the interior cabinet is 1" from the underside piece that the light screws to so it gives you a cavity to run wires  :)ThmbUp . I decided to put my switch against the back wall and close to the stove so it wouldn't be seen easily and went ahead and drilled a hole from the BOTTOM side then CUT with a razor the INterior bottom part of the cabinet because I knew the switch would be to thick to fit in between the 1" gap. Now with the switch were I wanted it I just needed to pull that 12v wire through the 1" cavity and all wires will be hidden with a clean install and done. WRONG  $@!#@! . After trying to fish for the wires from the square I cut on the INterior for the switch and trying to go from the 1" factory hole nothing was happening so I pulled out my bore scope camera. Then I saw that there is a divider where the cabinets make the turn and the wire stays on the side facing the front of the RV with no way of getting them through the divider so I had to adapt. I saw where the divider was and cut another access hole with a razor and pulled the 12v wire up through that and ran over to the switch. When I pulled the " black and white" 12v wire up through the hole I made, it went to a connector that had RED and WHITE wires so the black wire is the POSITIVE. I left the wires hooked to the factory connector so if I need to disconnect it for some reason I can. NOW THAT MY CLEAN WIRING JOB LOOKS LIKE A SNAKE IN THE CABINET  N:( and I'm using a 2 way switch I decided to add some old 12v outlets with a usb charger on the other side of the switch and to hide some of the crappy wiring I did. YES, I could have moved my switch to the other side of the divider but I didn't want it there. I made the lights go in a semi circle and they pull roughly .2 amps and lights up the entire kitchen and area around it with a soft light. I will eventually make the wires look better but right now there's wire loom on it and looks like a snake and since this pic I have replaced it with RED wire loom. I can't put my pics in the post like I want so there at the bottom. The lesson to learn here is to look at other people mess ups and improve.

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28