Recommendations on choices of vehicles to tow (Toads)

Started by Clyde9, November 09, 2008, 10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 6/13/2002 5:47 PM

Looking for a tow vehicle to tow behind my 69 D22. I want a vehicle that is unique and would fit the vintage of my Wimmie. How about a retored Willys Jeep, or better yet a Willys Jeep built into a hot rod? AC-Craig

Sent: 6/14/2002 1:53 AM

Carmen Ghia, Nash Metro or Studubaker Advanti,  just a few of my faves!
Mike dK

Sent: 6/14/2002 1:22 PM

Am I embarrassed, my spelling was terrible on my message. By the way, what is a Carmen Ghia? AC-Craig

Sent: 6/14/2002 9:28 PM

A Carmen Ghia was a V-W sports car that was built on a beetle chassis with an Italian body.  BTW   Iy `dednt` knotis, enie

Sent: 6/14/2002 9:53 PM

I guese I spelled Karmann-Ghia wrong.  Check out www.karmann-ghias.co.uk/

Sent: 6/15/2002 11:21 AM

It is the cute little two seat VW from the Mid to late 60's, Not a Beetle, but none the less, same simple engines etc.
Matt

Sent: 6/15/2002 11:33 AM

HI AK Gal,

Just a quick note, the Gia was a VW sports car on a Beetle chassie, but italian styling.  Very cute, the convertibles are highly sought after in CA.

Matt

Sent: 3/14/2006 7:39 AM

I had a '75 Karmann convertible, fresh from Germany; I still have the window sticker:  $4,075... very pricey back in the day, but a most fun and fabulous car.

For towing, you'd need a low dolly as the Karmann had low ground clearance.

- Sob

Sent: 6/22/2002 3:00 PM

I just completed my first trip with a "Toad". After giving up on finding a suitable, (cheap) Chrysler product to pull behind my Brand X coach I purchased a 95 Geo Tracker 4x4, 5 speed, rag top. I chose the Tracker for the weight , about 2200 lbs., ease of towing and the cost of the tow bracket. After getting the Tracker I was able to begin towing for just over $400 which is pretty cheap. I used Demco stuff, $135 for the well designed bracket, $180 for the Kwik -Tow Bar which came complete with safety cables. I also added a Rock Solid splash guard and auxillary lights.

The first trip was to Assateague Island State Park, Maryland and was 800 miles round trip. Since I made the same trip last year under the same wheather condtions it was an ideal time to compare fuel costs.

Last year I averaged 7.9 mpg running the onan generator while driving. With the Tracker in tow I averaged 7.5 mpg, again with the onan running. My coach is powered by a Ford 460 FI and has a 3 speed automatic. I was surprised by the results and noted similiar differences in the particular legs between fuel stops.

I would expect similar results with a big block powered Classic Winnie.

Having the Toad opened up a new dimension to our trip by providing easy transportation to area attractions.

Just thought the mileage figures were interesting and wanted to share them. Also if any of you are near Maryland and like ocean front camping, Assateague Island is a wonderful place. I met a retired couple there in a Classic Winnie and passed on the name of this group to them. I hope they join as they have an interesting history with these rigs.

Sent: 1/9/2005 6:09 PM

Thanks for the help.

I was given the below site for a list of 2004 toads. I don't remember who gave me the link ...

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/04dinghytowing.pdf

And here is more Toad info:

http://www.towingworld.com/towables.html

My Classic D19 1975 is not on the list of Toads.

Dave Beatty

Sent: 3/14/2006 8:26 AM

info on towing a dinghy.... it's in PDF you'll need acrobat reader
www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/04dinghytowing.pdf

I do believe the Geo Metro is a good toad...can't find the info....but some (I have a 1997 Geo Tracker 4 x 4 (auto trans) It can be towed...but, max speed is 60 mph and you have to stop every 200 miles, start it up for about a minute or so, and move the transmission from N to D and R and back to N... I guess this lets the tranny fluid flow and mix up some...so it won't over heat....
Timmy

Sent: 4/12/2005 12:57 PM

I did further checking and have learned that it can be towed fine flat four! Thanks for all input!! I bought the car for $100, and put an engine in it yesterday which had only 38K miles from a local wrecking yard. I should finish it up tonite and get it running. I put a new clutch kit in it for another $100, so I have about $650 in it so far...not bad for a 1997 which Blue Books for around $2200 or so...