Installing intermittent wipers

Started by Elandan2, July 06, 2014, 03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elandan2

Last spring we were travelling through the Carolinas and were in a constant drizzle for hours.  We all know the type; wipers on, one swipe, wipers off.  That got me to thinking about finding an easy way to put intermittent wipers on the motorhome. 

I found this module at Qkits, Ltd.  http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/MXA041 

Ordered one, they are just over $10 but the company has a $15 minimum order.  I got a small project box as well, to use for something else.  Got the order in two days.

It comes with a simple wiring diagram, the wipers are a "common negative" setup.  It is simply a matter of cutting into the "low" speed wire at the switch (green on our motorhome) and providing the module with power and a ground. I made up a small wiring harness to simplify the installation, I attached a picture of the module with the wiring attached and a picture of the final location of the switch.
The wipers now work on "intermittent" when the wiper switch is off and the module is turned on.  The delay can be adjusted between about 3 and 30 seconds.  If you turn on the wiper switch to low or high, the wipers work as normal.
Actually, a simple job that only took a couple of hours with a minimum of "Winnebago Yoga"  (bending to get under the dash!!)  Now we have intermittent wipers like all the new ones :D  Rick   
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

moonlitcoyote

that looks a lot like my setup, I have a wiper toggle switch for on/high and lo then I have a turn dial for intermittent. It is confusing to use though because if the intermittent is turned all the way one way the wipers dont work. So after Mikey munchkin has been playing in the drivers area I will go to turn the wipers on and they dont work until I remember to check the intermittent switch.