Repainting the Winnie.

Started by chip2lane, June 15, 2014, 09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wbago

Looks brand New :D .... very nice job, i hope mine comes this good but i doubt it lol :D ... personally, i'd want the W back lol :D

LJ-TJ

• The problem is you now have a blank canvas that looks beautiful. Now the questions that begs to be asked is what are you going to do to make it pop Hm? . You'll only going to get one kick at the cat ??? . You could screw up all that hard work D:oH! .>GRIN< No pressure.

Lefty

My suggestion?
First, look up a guy named Mike Lavalee on Google. He owns a place called Killer Paint. He's famous for doing ultra-realistic flame jobs. There is your 'Inspiration"...lol

Paint the Winne Your favorite color (Black,Blue,Burgundy,etc...) Paint the flames a contrasting color, then go over them with a coat of the main color to "ghost" them into the paint job.
Wait 24hrs after final base coat.
Wet sand with 1,000 grit to remove the orange peel,trash, and flaws.
Follow with 5-6 coats of clear.
Wait 24hrs to 48hrs for clear to harden.
Wet sand that with 1,500 grit to remove the orange peel, progressing up to 2,000 grit, then 4,000 grit... be careful to not cut thru the clear to the base coat. (If you do, you will have to respray the clear and start over)

Finally, cut,buff and polish with a foam pad and buffer at low speed with 3M polishes and swirl mark removers until finish is like a mirror.

Wait 30 days for paint to fully cure, then apply 2-3 coats of Mother's Pure Carnauba wax.

Congratulations! You now have the coolest RV in the campground!
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

eXodus

i love the simple plain white color. i wouldnt add too much it looks just great as it is. maybe a stripe in the middle,

chip2lane

Finished putting some stripes on last night about 11pm.
Will be putting all the pieces back on and getting some pictures on here in the next day or two.

pvoth1111

Blackout the windows more and just leave er white
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

chip2lane

chip2lane

All of the rest of the pictures are in my gallery.

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

M & J

M & J

TerryH

Wow. I am jealous.
Pull up to any RV Site in that, I would defy them to tell you "it's too old".
They're never too old, but when they look like yours................
Excellent work.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Elandan2

One sharp paint job!!  Enjoy.  In fact, I would purposely pull up to one of those places that insists that rigs can't be older than 10 years and see what they say!!  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

eXodus

Love it, just the one stripe I imagined !

Man is the stripe on the side going down from the front to the back or I'm already too drunk today ?
I think I got a winter project: painting the Itasca :P

LJ-TJ

WOW! That turned out to be one CLASSY looking rig. No doubt all your attention to  detail payed off. Geeessss nice job. :)ThmbUp I can't help but think you have just inspired an awful lot of guys here who weren't sure if it was possible for them to take on a job of that size. Yep! if you can do it they can do it. :)ThmbUp Well Done!

Lefty

Exodus,
I looked at the pics too and agree. The side stripe seems to be on a downward slant as it goes from front to rear. I don't know if that is actually the case, or if it's because of an optical illusion. But the stripe starts ABOVE the headlights in the front, and ends BELOW the tail lights at the rear.
I find that odd, and I would have made the stripe level.. either above the lights front and back, or below them, or split the difference and have it centered between. But it is the owners rig and their tastes that matter.

I still think they did an overall outstanding job.... especially when considering that this was his first time ever using a spray gun (still find that hard to believe from the results), and the fact that he did all the work outside. The rig looks ten or more years newer... and I'd be thrilled if mine looked half as good.

chip2lane

The stripes do slope downward from front to back just wanted to be a little different.
The pictures don't do the colors in the stripes justice.
The colors really pop out there, they are house of candy colors.
Thank for all the kind words on the coach.
We were able to get the coach for a good price and do all the work ourselves.
With the purchase price and all parts, and materials we are still under the 5k total investment.

Lefty

"With the purchase price and all parts, and materials we are still under the 5k total investment."

You could come close to doubling your money... I think your doing great!

Froggy1936

Really nice work. I like the stripe (hated the W stripes and the 1970 colors) The slight angle is a break from the boxy look of the original stripes I think you have exellent taste , And a fantastic looking rig ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Odss91b

Man that is awesome! I would love to do that to my 31' 89 chieftain.