onan genset removal

Started by minibagel84, June 14, 2014, 09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minibagel84

I've got an '84 Minnie Winnie with an Onan 3.0 AJ series. I need to remove it for repairs. Looks like it would be better to drop it straight down rather than through the side access door. Is that right? I'm thinking about using a transmission jack to support it and ease it down. does that sound right. I'm open to suggestions.

DaveVA78Chieftain

You have the same style of access hatch as my 78 Cheftain.  Yes, dropping down is the answer.  Generator is mounted to a large pan.  All this drops down as one assembly.   Weighs around 150 to 160lbs

Transmission jack will be fine however you will have to jack the rig up so the unit will clear after you drop it down.

Dave
[move][/move]

minibagel84

Thanks for the quick response. Looks like I can't put it off any more.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Assuming your generator access looks like this:

Then yes, you will have to drop it down.  The BF generator weighs 217lbs.  It will be mounted to a base plate (about 2" tall) which is bolted to the surrounding generator compartment.  You have to remove the exhaust, fuel lines, plus DC power and remote cables, and AC cables.  Then you can put some form of hydraulic lift under the base plate to lower the unit.  Not going to kid you, at 217lbs it will be a challenge.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

This is where a motorcycle lift might come in handy..  HF has 'em on the cheap..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

M & J

Dunt even give me that motorcycle jack Jack. LOL

Pallet jack was your game.
M & J

Stripe

Not on the terrain there..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

He will also have to have a 3/4" plywood surface on the ground to roll any jack around on.

Dave
[move][/move]

TerryH

Never lowered one like this myself, but from Dave's explanation a couple of suggestions come to mind:
Your floor jack has a lifting plate of what - 6" dia.? You may find it difficult to determine the centre point of weight of the genny for positioning your jack. Two or even better three jacks, lowered in small increments would be better/safer. Any chance you could borrow a couple?

You may want to cut a piece of your plywood for under the genny metal base plate. Wood on wood and metal on metal slide very easily. Metal on wood on metal less so.

You could also screw the cut plywood to the base plate and make a surround frame out of scrap wood fastened to the plywood around the jack lifting plates to help prevent sliding while lowering and lifting. Once you are set up with the jacks a few pieces of all-round strap could help secure the plywood et all to the jack plates.

I'm used to doing things I shouldn't by myself, so just some thoughts.

Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

kattkisson

I had had to remove my gen set several times and though it is a 4kw it is mounted the same.  One of the previous responders is right on.  I went to Harbor Freight and bought a ATV jack for around $100. lay plywood on the ground and let it down.  It is low enough that you can drive off.  Leaving the generator on the jack.  Having duel rail lifting it is stable and the generator can be run setting on the rig.  Most transmission jacks I have seen do not collapse down far enough to be practical and they have play built in.

Rickf1985

If the jack will fit under the wagon then jake the wagon up to the genny and strap the genny to the wagon. Jack it down and roll it away.

minibagel84

well... thanks to everyone that assisted me in the removal of my generator from my 84 Winnie. I wound up using a transmission jack and a good ole farm jack. Worked exactly like y'all (can you tell I'm from texas?) said it would. I cleaned it up, did the brushes, comutator and slip rings. Went back in easy too. Started like a dream! I am now onto a new post about running for 10-15 minutes and quitting.
Thankx again, onto the new topic...