GPS Installation Pictures

Started by engineer bill, May 30, 2014, 04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

engineer bill

It's important to try out the locations for the camera and wireless transmitter before you attach them permanently. I find "Gaffer's Tape" which is like duct tape except the adhesive is designed to make the tape easy to remove, very useful for this kind of project. I used a long 12V extension cord and cigarette lighter plug to temporarily power the camera/transmitter assembly.

I made sure to pair the GPS unit via bluetooth with my phone, and run the engine before checking it all out for a good signal. I really had no problem at all with the picture. However, many people seem to so be careful. Just check out your locations and signal. I placed a mailing tube on the ground just a foot behind the RV and I checked that I could see it on the GPS. The camera is a very wide angle and you can see very well behind you so long as you account for the lens distortion. In addition to the ground just behind the rig I was able to see cars behind me up to about 100' back. There is a picture of the unit with the guidelines turned on.

Then, I experimented with the location of the GPS unit to get it just where I wanted and I sketched out a bracket, to mount to mount it. I bent the aluminum in my vise as described previously and then mounted to the dash pad with very strong, outdoor rated, double-stick tape (the kind with the red backing strip). I then permanently wired the camera unit into my running lights (not my backup), so I can turn it on whenever I like, by turning my lights on. Be sure to use a grommet where the cable goes into the light assembly. I also aways use the plastic spilt conduit to protect my wiring. Fianally, I used wire-ties and sticky mounts to clean up the wiring. Later I parked in a level spot and put some traffic cones directly behind the rv and adjusted the lines to match up with them. Whew! I'm tired, time for a nap.
"on the road again, I just can't wait to get on the road again..."
thanks to Willie Nelson

engineer bill

thanks to Willie Nelson

engineer bill

last of the gps pictures ...
thanks to Willie Nelson

CCTVED

So is this a GPS and a camera kit that you purchased

engineer bill

This is a Garmin 760 LMT with the wireless backup camera.
thanks to Willie Nelson

pvoth1111

so your just gonna leave things taped to your motorhome....I fail to see how that is an "engineered" solution....I would buy seconds of those components cause your gonna loose them on the hiway
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Stripe

Those look more like Plasti-Anchors than tape..  They hold pretty well..  And Gaffers tape ain't goin' nowhere...  :D
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

eXodus

Looks nice but I would probably go higher with the camera. To see my own bumper I don't need to see the traffic behind.