Where are the Timing Marks '74 - 440?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 26, 2008, 11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 9/14/2003 7:40 PM

Getting ready to do a tune up on my 74 Winnie, 440 CID.  Can anyone tell me where the timing marks are on this engine?  I've looked on the crankshaft pulley, but I can't seem to locate them.  Also, does anyone know what the timing specs are supposed to be for this beast?

Sent: 9/14/2003 10:39 PM

Hi Wendell,
I assume your 74- 440 is much like my 73- 440. The timing marks on mine were very hard to find, because of the placement of the engine in the M/H doghouse. However if you crawl under the right front wheel well, looking between the alternator and the radiator overflow bottle; you can just make out the pointer for timing, on the timing chain cover. (I could not see mine from above at all)  Paint the line on the flywheel white first.

As to the specs: for my 73 the timing is set 7.5 deg BTDC +or- 2.5 deg.

Seems to work best if you have a timing light that you can set the advance into.

Good luck
Chuck

Sent: 9/15/2003 9:24 AM

On some models there is a hole in the torque converter housing to see the timing marks that are located on the converter. The corresponding timing marks are located on the housing. timing light hook up is the same. Timing is 8 degrees BTDC.
Joe

Sent: 9/15/2003 5:04 PM

Wendell: Mine has the 413 engine, the timing scale is on a sheet metal tab on the timing cover, tucked under the water pump housing. I can just see it and the mark on the vibration damper if I am holding a mirror next to the fan shroud with one hand, the timing light in the other hand, and leaning over the motor precariously. I have to look, then move the distributor, then look again - and repeat. Besides the hot breeze, it doesn't make my back feel great. I take the passengers seat for this procedure. I do this about each 5,000 miles, about once a year or less, cause mine has points that wear. And I make sure I lube the centrifgual advance too. I carry the timing light with me on trips, just in case. I believe the 440 has a different water pump housing, which may make it harder. Another way to check timing is to see if your spark plugs are a light brown or tan color - in which case I would not change the ignition timing. denison

Sent: 9/23/2003 10:13 AM

Wendal - I just Timmed my 76  D23C  - 440 3 engine  - the marks are on the right (passenger side)under the water pump , it looks like a horse shoe with the degree scale reading down BeforeTDC  same as denison stated for his 413 in previos reply . I tried a mirror but coudn't see it and kept hitting the light on fan blades . I did it from under the wheel well . it's a pain going back up to ajust it . Mine has a Spec sticker on the right valve cover . 440 3  8 degrees Before TDC @ 700 RPM  with Vacume advance disconnected and hose pluged  it also said in nutral  but I did mine in park .   - Seahag