440 lacks power

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 26, 2008, 10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 8/3/2001 12:06 AM

I have a problem with my 1979 Chieftain 29' Dodge 440 with Holley
four barrel carb. I took it out the other day and, to my suprise, it has no giddy- up as I expected it should.  I'm sure there can be many things I need to inspect, check, jiggle, wiggle, etc,etc.  Chik

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it sat for long time, fresh gas is a good thing to have before you start changin' stuff!   Cousin Eddie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The top speed that I can get is 65 and I know this big gal wants to do more.  It
has been stored for two years.  I know, not good.  I did fill her up with good fuel hoping, as you mentioned, this may work.  But, not so!   Chik

This past weekend I went through my 440-4 and found that split fire spark plugs were used.  From that point on I pretty much knew what needed to be done and it was not going to be as difficult as thought.   Finding the correct seated spark plugs was rather easy.  After installing them, I rested my hand on the distributor
cap and guess what, it was loose.  Another simple fix.  Started tightening it up while the engine was running checking for accurate vacuum then put the
tachometer on and began to dial in the carb. Timing was off, so adjustments
were done.  Took her for a test run and, we were off to the races. The big girl has guts and much more.  Here's the clincher, I pulled her into a gas station during my test run and wanted to see what  mileage per gallon I had got when I drove her home from my sister prior to the tune up. Well folks, she got 9.5 miles to the gallon. I can't wait to see what she'll get now.  Chik

Yeah, getting rid of those split-fire plugs is ALWAYS a great idea. Ray (Rat)

UPDATE: Some time has past since this post and I have resolved the problem. As I figured, my coach was starving for fuel. She now roars down the freeway easly 75 plus. Here's my findings and remedy. Three in line filters were found, one at the carb was eliminated. Fuel line leak, replaced two feet of hose. Changed timing from 20 degrees BTC to 8 1/2 degrees BTC. Opps, the compression was the first thing that I checked which was perfect 105lb-115lbs.
chik