California Smog Legal Engine Modifications for a 1989 P30 Chevy 454 (carb)

Started by engineer bill, May 18, 2014, 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

engineer bill

- Does anyone know what the California smog requirements are for this 25 year old RV? (The seller did give me a smog certificate for registration when I bought it recently.)

- How often does it have to be smog certified. How strict are the requirements for this older vehicle?

I guess what I'm asking is, from a practical point of view:
What can be modified on the engine/transmission without making it unable to pass smog in the future?

I'm interested in reducing heat, more power & torque, better MPG (currently 5-6 at 55 mph). I've read a number of posts recomending better distributors & timing, adding ram air and also perhaps a new intake and exhause system from "Banks Power." I don't want to make a bunch of mods that will have to be removed regularly when it is tested, if it is tested.

Engineer Bill
"on the road again, I just can't wait to get on the road again..."
thanks to Willie Nelson

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

rar

Hey, i have a 85 and put on a banks power system and it did say it is legal in calif. i live in oregon so it diden,t really matter, but thats what they said , As far as ,does it work? I like it . It has a cold air intake, new air cleaner cover, with cold air hook up, nice headers, with 5/8 plates. they call them power exhaust or something , new shift springs, banks super muffler , 2 into 1 exhaust , large pipe.  So it helped the milage some , maybe 1-1.5 mpg . but the power is great . 2nd gear 30-35 mph with a 33' pulling a trailer with a jeep on it. i also went new high heat plug wires.  it runs good.

enigma960080

I have an 89 SuperChief 31  on P30 454 carb IN California....   Mine is a  california vehicle  with Federal  smog. ( No  Cat Converters)   If  does have a  check engine light  that comes on  when you first  turn the ignition on.  It  checks  the  Air Injection system.  If then light  does not  come on for 3 seconds  or so  then  go off  you have a problem. also  if it stays on....   It must  have the  Canister    forward the  Right front  tire,  Smog Pump,  Cold air  intake  tube, EGR valve and a thermo vacuum valve in the air cleaner. IF you make ANY changes  to the  factory intake , emissions or Exhaust,  make  sure  whatever  you put on  has the C.A.R.B. (California Air Resources Board) number.  (Yes you have to smog it every 2 years)
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332