Is This Holley Carburator the Right One for My 413?

Started by class87, November 26, 2008, 01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

class87

Sent: 8/23/2004 7:07 PM

New to this great site.

Just purchased a 1972 Indian with a 413.

Found that it has a Holley Carburetor on it. On the air horn is LIST 6231. I can not find a reference for this carburetor. Trying to determine if this is a good carburetor for my motorhome.

Thanks

Norman

Sent: 8/23/2004 8:45 PM

I suspect that is a fine carburetor. Coincidentally I have what might be the same kind on my 72 indian with a 413!
If you go to the holley.com website, and click on the "tech support" link near the bottom of the page, then from the next page choose the "carb numerical listing" link, you should be able to get a .pdf file of carb numbers. Unfortunately it isnt all the carbs that Holley has made, and some numbers they consider obsolete have been dropped off the listing. The holley web site is very large, somewhere on it are instructions where to find the "list" numbers for different carb series. That is the most important number on it.
I have a Holley on my 413 with the number 6231 on it, though its list number is 4779-2 I think. Its not the original carb, but its been running fine for over a decade - Twice I have put new gaskets into it and cleaned it, just from the effects of it sitting idle for most of 11 months of the year. I have put 46k happy miles on it with that carburetor. As far as I know it is a model 4150, 750cfm, a double pumper, and square bore - meaning all 4 throats are the same size. Mine was converted to mechanical choke, which I like. Let me know if you want to get rid of yours cheaply….
You can see my Holley: go to the pictures link, and on pix page 10 - in the album "denisons d22t" there is a picture of the top of my engine when it was clean one day.
There are probably other Holley related websites, the carbs are very popular. Last time I wanted to get a gasket/rebuild set for it, the store didn't have a listing for mine so I got a kit for another 4150 Holley with two accelerator pumps (the double pumper). The kit might have been for a 6709, I cant recall. Everything fit anyway
. Poking around the holley site you can find more info. http://holley.com/HiOctn/TechServ/TechInfo/4150-60.html shows an exploded view of the 4150 carbs. Its confusing to have model numbers, different from part numbers and "list" numbers. Another site with Holley info is http://www.mortec.com/carbs.htm. To get a rebuild kit, which you WILL need someday, one possible site is http://www.proactionspares.com.au/reconCarbs.htm. www.carbs.net/index.htm is another place to poke around.

Sent: 8/25/2004 10:25 AM

I have a 73 440 and I replaceled my carb with a holly 650cfm, the model # is 4175

Sent: 1/10/2005 4:48 PM

When I got My 1971 from my brother, he also had another spare carburetor from another Winnebago. Neither of the carburetors were listed on Holley's web site. However, a quick call to Holley with the numbers cleared up everything. They can tell you what it was originally designed for and every part that's in them.

The one on the Winnie, was the original, the spare came off a 72 Winnebago. I can't remember the numbers right off, but I'm thinking 4150 for 1971, and 4165 for the 1972. Both 413 engines, and 600 cfm. I had to buy the ReNew kit from JC Whitney. It was about $40, shipping included. And not hard to do.

Sent: 2/6/2005 9:58 PM

Just F.Y.I. , my 413 has a Holley that is a LIST 6231. Can't seem to find much info on that particular number Holley, even at Holley's website, but the unit is 33 yrs old now.

I plan to call Holley soon to get more info on a rebuild kit.

Sent: 2/15/2005 9:05 AM

SeaRay,

I would definitly go to Holley, The Tech line number is 270-781-9741. They are extremely helpful and polite. 8 AM to 6 PM Central time.

I have a spare carb for my 413 and gave them the numbers for a Re-New kit. It's also a LIST 6231. They told me it is a 600 CFM from a 1972 Winnebago W/413 engine. rebuild kit # 3-119. You can get the kit from J.C. Whitney with those numbers. Holley doesn't deal directly with the consumer.

These were the numbers that they gave me, but, I would suggest you make a call, they'll give you everything you need and real fast too!

Sent: 2/21/2005 8:21 AM

Thanx for the info Olivereaman. Sure do appreciate. JC Whitney is good for a price conscious guy like myself(read that cheap).

Best Regards,

Robert Donley
Jenison, MI

Sent: 2/16/2006 11:44 PM

I  couldn't believe my ears ...when I called the Holley tech line for a rebuild kit #.I am re-calling them tomorrow because they
said the list # 1849 carb. on my 72 413 is originally for a '58 edsel !!  Anyways it seemed to work o.k. before the gas came out like something
at Yellowstone park. NAPA ordered me a kit which comes in tomorrow This may or maynot solve the gas pouring out problem.I am waiting for the kit before disassembling the thing.And decide whether its worth rebuilding?  The tech did say the original Holley would have been a list # 4160 carb kit or part 0-80457-5 with 600cfm.  I see some w/413 have the 750 cfm is this advantagous for towing or something else, like higher top speed, or gas mileage ? I am worried about the danger of gas pouring down the block and am also considering having a back -up carburetor for Boondocking Adventures ,.Thanks Erik C

Sent: 2/17/2006 11:09 AM

I had the fuel overflowing from the top of the carb, and the engine about drowning in fuel. It was due to bits of rubber that clogged the seat of the needle valve in the float bowl. The diaphram of the fuel pump was the source of the rubber pieces. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel line, cleaned the Holley and put in new gaskets, and it worked fine for about ten years. By that time the carb would lose its fuel in a couple of days, due to the shirivelled gaskets on the Holley float bowls. So I took the carb apart again, cleaned out the fine silt, and put it back together with new gaskets. I expect it to need the same thing in a few more years.
I doubt you would notice any difference with a larger CFM rating carburetor; unless you are in the habit of running the engine at higher rpm, like above 3600, and even then not much of a difference. The torque peak of the 413-1 is about 2600 rpm.
I think that people sometimes judge how their RV runs with a new carburetor, compared with the previous carb. that had been neglected on the engine for a decade or two and which needed cleaning, new gaskets, and adjustment. No carb. will last forever without some work.

Sent: 2/19/2006 1:05 AM

Yes that is exactly what my carburetor was doing,too.It like everything else In my rig has been neglected.I cleaned out some of the gunk,and it worked o.k.  for a while but now it's getting deep cleaned.I have a gallon jug of carb cleaner, I'll soak the carb -parts in a bucket.and rinse in mineral spirits.until they shine again.The worn out gaskets and rubber pieces will get discarded and replaced with new ones ,included in the rebuild kit,which cost 36.00 $.the kit conains 97 pieces.  I  wonder if my fuel pump is sending rubber pieces into the
carb,too?maybey I can put in an extra filter /to catch that stuff/ My 413 my 413w/600cfm was a good runner although have not been on any steep hills with it yet.  I am still amazed a 58 mercury edsel carb. works with a  72  dodge  413 !!