I'm so tired of things not working

Started by HandyDan, May 08, 2014, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyDan

This is just a rant or a chance to vent.  You don't need to reply, I just need to let off steam.  I went out to mow the yard yesterday with my 3 year old Snapper Riding lawn mower.  All through the process the engine was backfiring.  I think it is a clogged up fuel filter.  The point is I have to work on it.  I have a zero turn mower that I prefer to mow with but the electric clutch has gone out.  I have to work on it.  My Ford tractor that has served me well for many years, won't start.  I'm suspecting a bad solenoid.  I have to work on it.  My 1999 Suburban has run well all winter, but I took it on a small trip and developed a high speed vibration.  I'm suspecting a U joint.  I have to have it worked on.  My push mower has always started with one pull.  I pulled till I suspected I was on the verge of a heart attack and no luck.  I have no idea why.  I have to work on it.  I just bought a used boat that the owner swears it was working well last summer.  I can't get any electrical power to the ignition.  I have to work on it.  I won't even bring up the Holiday Rambler.  The bottom line is:  Even though I am retired and supposedly have lots of time, I don't have time to keep all these things running.  I'm going to start on the Ford Tractor and work down.  No, I've got to get the Suburban running right first.  But, the grass is growing.  If only I had a large stockpile of money, I'd dump all this stuff and just get new.  But, that would require shopping and set up and almost as much work as repairing the old.  Okay, I feel better now.  Off to the mechanic.  Hope it doesn't take much time or money.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

M & J

Amen Brother.

You speak for the masses.

:)clap $@!#@!
M & J

Stripe

Woof...

God you have any idea how maddening it is NOT to reply with possible fixes for a couple of those items? ???

The list never ends huh?
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Rambunctious

I've never before had so much grease under my nails until I purchased my RV. I'm learning on the fly how to fix things. Can't afford to have a shop to do everything. I feel for ya though, it's amazing how fast things pile up.

legomybago

There's always tomorrow.....It's not going anywhere till you deal with it.

Sometimes it's hard to get started on projects that nag at your soul. I grew up in a family who had sand and gravel trucks....I know ALL about doing jobs that suck!! On every weekend!! Rain or shine!! Not getting paid!! Taught me how to buck up...I sometimes feel just like HandyDan though. That is what happens when you are a perfectionist...EVERYTHING has to work :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

HandyDan

Well, a follow-up.  The Ford Tractor is back in operation.  It turned out to be nothing more than the ground cable on the battery.  It was too corroded to do the job.  A new cable, and everything works. Got the Suburban back from the mechanic.  $132 and two new sets of U joints and it runs smooth as ever.  I then turned to the zero-turn mower, but before I could do much I ran out of time. I have a meeting to attend.  I got the big bolt out of the middle of the clutch, but the clutch didn't just fall off like it was supposed to.  I'll try some alternate ways of forcing it off tomorrow. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

legomybago

Now your going to run out of things to do!!!! :)rotflmao

joev

the push mower that used to start on one pull and wont start now all you need to do is pull off the float bowl  and clean out the main jet with a needle its clogged guarantied  its the gas with ethonal that does this I get 15 to 20 neibours and friends with this problem every year lol

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao Oh brother do I feel your pain. I farm for a living and as you can suspect I have lots of equipment Tractors etc. All which work when I put them away and none of which works when I pull it out. I spend more time fixing than I do farming. That's before I get to our 75 Winnebago. IT DOES GET BETTER. REALLY. But we do feel your pain.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thus the reason I'm fulltiming it and only have to worry about two machines...the RV and the truck.  Glad you are getting it all sorted out, Dan!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

TripleJ

Every once in a while I get tired of fixing stuff and go out and buy or lease new stuff instead. Then after a while i ask myelf why the hell I'm paying out so much money every month, so I sell it all and turn in the lease and go and buy a bunch of junk again.

Currently I'm in the junk acquisition phase N:(
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

legomybago

For the first time in my life, everything I own is paid for, but that also means I have to work on it!!! I miss my brand new diesel pick up, but not 600 a month payments! To each there own ???

Stripe

I hear you there. The newest vehicle I have is a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II. I paid off the 4 year loan in two years by using my weekends off going to Angeles National Forest to the East fork of the San Gabriel for rec panning and sluicing and some leave time by going up to Weaverville, CA where my father and I have some gold claims and worked them.
Now I own all my big toys free and clear.  But yeah, I work on them when needed..  But TO be honest, I love working on my own stuff. Gives me a sense of ownership and pride in knowing I CAN get it done.. Sure it gets frustrating but that's why we have this wonderful site, to rant because we know our friends here can relate.. :D

Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

Same here Frederic!  I love working on my own stuff...because its a challenge, I know its done right, and I'm a cheap arse Scotsman!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

HandyDan

Further follow up:  I spent most of the day working on the zero-turn mower.  The bearings in the electric clutch have gone out.  You are supposed to remove the 5/8" bolt in the center of it and it is supposed to just slide off.  Didn't happen.  I went and got a cheap gear puller from the new Advanced Auto in town and set it up to pull the clutch.  I managed to pull the clutch apart, but the top part, where the bearing lives, would not budge.  I went and got a heavier puller and set about trying to pull it down.  I managed to completely bend the pulley all to hell, but the bearing would not move.  When the bad weather moved in I gave up.  We had a town hit hard by a tornado just a few miles north of us.  I don't know what my next move is.  I'm thinking at this point to junk the whole thing and go get a new mower.  I've had this one for 10 years and it has served me well, but maybe it's trying to tell me it's tired and wants to rest.  I'm certainly tired of IT.  LOL

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Stripe

Ouch..  Can't win all the battles.. Sometimes it's going to happen yeah?
Fredric,

TripleJ

When all else fails, use heat. Carefully applied oxy acetylene can make magic happen
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

M & J

The problem is the head of the bolt you removed tightens against a flange up in side the hole. You puller rod is pushing against the flange on the clutch and not against the shaft  of the engine. All your effort is being used to bend the clutch in half.
Either thread the bolt back in about half way then try pulling (that risks thread damage so dont muscle down if it doesnt move easily) or find a puller that has a center post or adapter that drops into the threaded hole of the shaft to pull against.
M & J

pvoth1111

Simple solution......so simple..........Drink...............lots W%
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Lefty

I'm in the same boat, and often get frustrated too. My 26yr old John Deere mower has always been a good mower, but it seems to always need a new bearing on the deck, or blades sharpened, or a host of other small things... I love my '94 F-350 diesel dually, but I've had to rebuild the entire front suspension and steering, replace all 6 tires, and do several small underhood fixes to it since I bought it. We haven't taken our new 5th wheel out camping since we bought it back in January... but I've had to totally replace all 4 brake assemblies, repack all the wheel bearings, re-paint all the rims, replace one roof vent, re-rubberize the front section of the roof, fix the right turn signal, install a new spare tire holder and spare, repaint the frame and hitch, and then clean everything inside (shampooing carpets with a scrub brush and bucket of soapy water is not fun)... all so we can leave out on it's first camping trip this June 5th.
Not to even mention that I completely gutted our kitchen in the house to studs and joists and rebuilt it with all new cabinets and appliances (I got unfinished cabinets and had to stain & seal everything as well ) since Jan.
My To Do list never seems to get empty.. as soon as I finish one item, theres always two more added to it.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Wbago

Quote from: Lefty on May 11, 2014, 04:05 PM
My To Do list never seems to get empty.. as soon as I finish one item, theres always two more added to it.

I'm hearing that one in FM :P
“Each thing I do, I rush through so I can do something else. In such a way do the days pass" - Stephen Dobyns

HandyDan

Well, wouldn't you know it, got up this morning and the refrigerator wasn't cold.  This is the refrigerator in our house kitchen, not the motorhome.  I cranked up the motorhome fridge so we could use it while we find a replacement.  At least IT works. (for now)
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao MAN you guys are making me feel better by the minute.. :laugh:

M & J

Our house fridge went out on a Sunday. Planned obsolecense.
M & J

tiinytina

Most likely defrost timer is bad... $30 part maybe to replace.. easy to do... been there replaced that.. ok then again I blew up the last one.. thus again why I don't play with electricity.. was being talked through a "test" by my ace HVAC guy over the phone... 2 hrs on the phone there was black puff of smoke jumpering connectors.. we called it quits.. I went to Sears.... LOL....
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!