What tire pressures are you running?

Started by Rickf1985, May 04, 2014, 05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

I have looked at these cheaper TPMS systems many times and wondered about how well they work. Let us know.

EldoradoBill

There's a tire pressure discussion going on in a vintage vehicle forum. When deciding pressure, remember the door sticker is meant for whatver tire the vehicle originally came with. I wouldn't dare run my Cadillac on the highway for hours at 22psi as "recommended" when the sidewall calls for 44. Similarly, I doubt rigs still have 7.50-16D bias tires still on them, so ignore the 65lb pressure recommendation and go with what the new tires call for. It's going to take some experimentation; my van needs 50 front/80 rear, if I pump up the fronts the thing feels like a roller skate with similar handling.

Bill

Rickf1985

Fully agree! Mine calls for 65lbs. in the rears in the original bias ply 8-7.50 but if I run the radial 8R-750's at that pressure the sidewalls get way to hot from the excessive flexing. I am running 80 front and back and that keeps my sidewalls at around 135 degrees.

Froggy1936

I have a N Vision system by Hopkins I run 72 PSI in the frt and 78 in the rear on Firestone TransForce 8 70 16.5 radials The system needed the booster for the rears to transmit the signal on my 20 ft rig, They supplied the booster free I also had to replace 1 sensor that someone stole ! Got it on ebay Mfg only sells in sets of 6 !  The system warned me of a low tire when I was ready to resume my trip , Repair shop found tire leaking around the rim No rust ? tire was mounted 3 yrs ago ? Sensors are off about 3 lbs or gauge is More concerned with the duals being at the same pressure as their mate ! Very happy with system warning or ok lights Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.