What tire pressures are you running?

Started by Rickf1985, May 04, 2014, 05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

I am wondering what tire pressures you are running. When I got my tires back from the tire store (Another adventure in itself!) The pressure were between 90 and 110 in all tires. I set them to 75 front and 65 rear per the door sticker. I just wanted to get opinions on whether that sounds reasonable or to low. I am thinking that might be a little low fully loaded. It certainly smoothed out the ride! It was like riding on wooden wheels at the higher pressures.

M & J

We run ours 80 front 75 rear on a 27' 12500 gvw.
M & J

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Froggy1936

On my class C 11200 lb i run 70 Lb all tires  8.75 R 16.5 LT 10 ply Firestones On my air bags i run different pressures to level rig against weak springs and heavy generator sitting on top of R/R & weak frt coil spring on R/F   L/S Frt runs 30 lb  R/S Frt runs 45 lb L/S Rear runs 30 lb & R/S Rear runs 60 lbs Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

legomybago

We run 70 in all tires and air bags! keeps the numbers simple..

But if you want to be real good, with your rig fully loaded (water,food,dogs etc) and weigh your axles. You can see what you are running on each end of the rig, and you more than likely be able to run a lower tire pressure (depending on tire rating of course) and get a smoother ride. People do this with F rated tires for sure.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Mr. T

I run 80 on all six.  By the time I reach my destination, they have leaked down to about 70.  :angel:

Don

ClydesdaleKevin

90 on the tires, front and rear.  And 70 in the front air bags.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on May 07, 2014, 10:48 PM
90 on the tires, front and rear.  And 70 in the front air bags.

Kev

Same..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

legomybago

All this depends on if you are running 19.5's or 16's too...not sure whats on yours Rick Hm?

Rickf1985

Quote from: legomybago on May 08, 2014, 10:15 AM
All this depends on if you are running 19.5's or 16's too...not sure whats on yours Rick Hm?
Sorry, this was pointed out in another post I made. I am running 19.5's. I was at 70 all around and the rear sidewalls were getting to hot for my liking so I upped the rears to 80. It did wander quite a bit so I may go up to 90 all around and see what it feels like. They had it at 105 to 115 when I got it back from the tire store and it was like riding on wooden tires! Now that my immediete first trip is out of the way I have some time to play with the settings (Yea, right!). I need to fill all of the tanks and get it scaled and see what I have weight wise and then I can work off of a weight /pressure chart for a good idea where to start.

tiinytina

19.5's 90 in all 6 and 60-65 in the airbags.  Rims are stamped 110 max. 
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Lefty

Be careful running less than the recommended pressure on rear dual tire setups. If the sidewalls ever touch each other while driving, they will quickly overheat and blow. Make sure that the rear duals have ample clearance between them at the bottom where the tire sidewalls bulge.

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

cncsparky

Speaking of tire pressures, what kind of pressure gauges are you guys/gals using?  Do I need to get one with an extension to reach in the duals, something like that?  My RV will be moving soon, need to check all the pressures. 
-Tom

Elandan2

I just have a standard dual chuck tire gauge like this:
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

I have one like that and a dial indicator type. Plus I have extensions on my inner duals and I am going to put them on the outers, that way all the checking is right there in front of you.

M & J

I put extensions on my inner duals also. Makes it much easier to check and fill the inner duals.
M & J

Elandan2

I had extensions on mine until the added weight broke one of my valve stems and I had a flat.  After that, I took the rest of them off and take the rear wheel covers off to check the tire pressure.  No problems since then.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

legomybago

Heres what you want for putting air in your tires....you need to thread it on to your own air chuck.
http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S693-Dual-Straight-Chuck/dp/B000COS0PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400514524&sr=8-1&keywords=straight+end+air+chuck+gauge

And heres what you want for checking pressures...I've been using these for years with duals..
http://www.zoro.com/g/00043946/k-G1059703?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA

DonD

I have the whole enchilada version.....Mmm, hungry now.

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

legomybago

For some reason growing up, I always had an "untrustworthy" view on the "all in one" air chuck and them reading accurate pressure?  I think it's because so many of them I used growing up were so beat!! All our air pumps at the gas stations had them....But now Don, I think buying one brand new would be a good idea Hm? 

dickcarl

My tire guys refused to put extensions on my inside duals, as they often leak. (I've seen it.)  They put "big truck" valve stems on for me, and I can reach them easily with my dual-head gauge.  I run about 80# all the way around, unless I want a more comfy ride.

And whenever I check tires, I crouch down in back to see some daylight between the duals.
Mechanically challenged but willing to break, cross-thread or totally bugger up nearly ANY expensive component in the guise of repair.

bluebird

I had a good set of braided extensions on my Itasca for a few years then changed them to my Challenger for 8 years. Never had a problem loosing air in either coach. Going to put some on when I change tires next week. There are different brands, some better than others. 

ClydesdaleKevin

We have the braided extensions on ours, and they have never leaked.  They are nearly 30 years old at this point, and still going strong.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

If the braided extensions ever come loose from the holder on the outer tire they can fall between the tires and wear through the tire in real short order. I had them on mine until one of them did start leaking right at the end of the hose where it flexes. I think as long as they are not too old then they should be good. You might want to look into newer ones Kev. I am going to put new ones back on mine, I would rather use the solids but I just can't bend and twist to get to them like I used to. I have found that the tire pressures listed on the door are far too low for today's tires. I ran mine at the 65 lbs. recommended and they got very hot very fast! I now run them at 90 all around and check the temps on them regularly when I stop with an IR temp gun.

HandyDan

According to my door plaque, I should be running 65 lbs in all tires.  It says load range D.  I am running F on DynaTrac ST 990 tires.  65 just doesn't seem high enough for the load so I put 80 in.  Seems to be a good compromise between ride and load.  I've never weighed the coach, but I don't think I am running heavy. I'm not fond of the DynaTracs since they are made for truck trailers and have a very stiff sidewall.  I get a vibration at 65 that I can't seem to get rid of no matter how many times I have them balanced.  I'm going to replace most of them this spring with Samson or Westlake tires. 

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star