Leaky Vent Soft FLoor

Started by Peterbylt, May 01, 2014, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterbylt

New to us MH, 1985 SPortsCoach (Coachman) just finished putting in a new engine and rebuilding the transmission.
Repaired an inherited leak in the roof vent (EternaBond Tape).
The rear floor where it had been leaking was Very spongy to walk on, pulled the upper boards back until the particle board was solid.
This is what the deteriorated particle board floor looked like after being wet many times.
I also pulled out the framing for the bed.

Removed all the deteriorated particle board, it just crumbled.

The floor is made up of the upper flooring, particle board, 3 inches of foam and finally a sheet of steel on the bottom.

This is the floor stripped down to the foam layer.

I also put a 2 inch piece of aluminum under the back edge of the floor to allow me to attach to the front edge of the new floor.

The new floor, ¾ pressure treated plywood.

1 ½ inch wide 3/8 deep groove needed to be routed across the bottom of the middle to straddle the metal support so the Ply would sit level and be even with the original floor.

Unfortunately the router bit came loose and cut a hole where we did not want it.

The ply sat nice and flat and lined up nicely, I used self drilling and tapping screws to attach the ply to the metal supports and the aluminum strip.

Then I filled in the router hole and the gap between the old and new floors with bondo.

After a little sanding we were ready to lay down some tiles.

When the tiles were out past the rear area I reassembled the bed/sofa frame.

We will be tiling the entire floor of the RV.

Peter

M & J

Wow that looks nice. Good write up and gotta love the pics.
M & J

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

TripleJ

Nice-looking repair. And props to you for seeing it through.  As backwards as it sounds, I think I would rather work on the chassis all day long then rebuild some of the interior like that

I may change my mind in the future though. W%
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

LJ-TJ

Afraid I have to jump on the band wagon. Nicely done the pic's and write up were great.  :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.