Replacing 318 piston rings with engine still in rig

Started by class87, November 26, 2008, 12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

class87

Sent: 6/29/2006 10:40 PM

Has anyone replaced the rings in their 318 while it was still in the winney. Thanks.   T.J.

Sent: 6/30/2006 4:54 PM

Not to a 318. I did it to a flathead Ford V8, but only after removing the front fenders. That way I could sit on the tires to work comfortably on the motor, and at the end of a day I could lower the hood over the engine to keep the rain out.
My concern for the motor home engine would be that if the rings are worn out, you might want to redo many other things - including boring for oversize pistons due to cylinder taper, installing new camshaft bearings, and replacing all of the core plugs. I think that some of them can only be reached with the engine block disconnected from the transmsission. SOB and I know this is the case with the Chevy 350 engines, though I dont remember if its true for the mopar small blocks. With the engine block out you can have it cleaned out at a machine shop, and be assured that all coolant passages are free of sediment build up. Probably not a big deal though. It is possible your cylinders arent worn much - that is such a variable from engine to engine. 

Sent: 6/30/2006 12:53 AM

TJ,
Yes, only the rings and the Rod bearings though. Too much trouble to change the main bearings with the trans still in place. You have to take the heads off. You don't actually have to replace the Rod bearings, if they're in top shape.

Tom