1984 HR generator compartment insulation

Started by circleD, April 25, 2014, 08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

The 30 year old insulation was coming off in chunks and dust so I figured that since I was going to take out the genny for servicing, why not go ahead and put in better insulation. The idea originally came from Stripes thread of Generator Compartment modification http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7889.msg37440.html#msg37440. In one of the pics you can see that I had to cut about 1 1/2 feet off of the right (rear) side and make some 90 degree cuts so the genny tray would come out.  I used my hand to wipe off the old stuff and the pieces that didn't wipe off I used a wire brush and a grinder with a wire wheel. I then cleaned off the frame with the grinder till the metal was shiny and then painted it all over even underneath including the battery box  ;) . The original plan was to put my roll out sliders on but there was going to be to much fabrication and I promised the wife I wouldn't do any "UPGRADING" to the camper. Once everything was cleaned and painted I used acetone to clean it more before I applied the new insulation in. I bought a DYNAMAT hood kit thinking that it would be plenty big but it wouldn't cover near 1/2 of the area so I sent it back. I found some stuff on Amazon called GTMAT and it's half the price so I could get all I needed for $58.00. It is only an 1/8 thick and has foil on one side and pressure adhesive on the other. No matter what you use you need 25 sq ft to cover the sides and ceiling and that gives you very little left over scrap. It took 2 of us to install this stuff and we it did by me sitting inside the genny frame work and my helper pushing it over my head from outside. You can use cardboard templates but we used one piece for the back wall and continuing up and over the ceiling until it reaches the door. Then use a separate piece for each side with overlapping the piece that goes up and over by 1 inch. When I had deal with the wires we left the plastic on the mat and just laid it into place and cut a slit so we could slide the wires into place. When you peel the plastic off, it will stick to what ever it touches but don't push down on it and you can pull it back off. It's not easy or fun but achievable. I used a hard rubber roller "same as I'll use on the roof seams because of the rivets" to press it down. The harder you push it and work on it the better it'll stick. Now that I have self tapping screws in place of rivets I will be able to reassemble quickly  :) . I'll have pics of the freshly painted Onan inside of this bake potato!! FYI don't do this out in the sun because it'll blind you and it gets HOT!!!

HandyDan

My concern would be the noise from the genny.  That old insulation was fairly thick and would reduce the sound inside the coach.  However, I love what you have done.  It sure cleans up the compartment!  I've got to reread your genny thread to see how you physically got the genny out.  It isn't light weight by any means. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

circleD

I haven't done a removal thread because we are suppose to install it tomorrow and I'll put it all together. The mat I'm using is suppose to be sound and heat. It's pretty heavy rubber but thin. I'm sure it's not as good as other brands but I didn't have but half of the factory stuff left on there so anything is better. I also forgot to mention that only the TOP half of the compartment is actually inside under the couch and the bottom half is under the chassis so you could probably just pull the carpet up from the inside and install this stuff down then put the carpet back over it since it's thin enough. Behind the factory insulation there is sheet metal for the fire resistance safety factor.

Stripe

Looking good!

Your going to love that GTMat, it's got superior sound deadening properties.  You'll hear the generator outside the window before you hear it coming from inside.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

circleD

Well, I fired it up inside the compartment with the GTMat and all I could hear is the exhaust because the window was open  ;)  so it's a success!!

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Jonbbrew

Need to do the same...Did you use it on the door as well? It has a much thicker space from the old stuff. How did you beef it up?
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

circleD

I didn't do anything to the door. It could probably use some new material on the inside but no need to insulate it.