Anyone using Electric Waste tank Valve?

Started by Schwarzkopf9, September 26, 2014, 12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schwarzkopf9

Hey guys,  has anybody used those electric gate valves for their waste tanks? Im thinking of installing them on my rig but would like to get some opinions on them first because their not cheap...

DaveVA78Chieftain

Not me.  Besides, unless you are on a permanent site, you have to hook up the hose anyway so pulling the valve handle open is no big deal.

Dave
[move][/move]

pvoth1111

I cant see spending the money on the electrics ( till I get my bus ) but I think the cable operated ones may serve a purpose.....maybe.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

ClydesdaleKevin

I can see a purpose!  Since we only carry grey water and no black, how awesome would it be to be all alone on a dark road, nobody behind you, and just hit a dash switch to evacuate your grey water tank?  Not that I would ever do such a thing...lol!  :angel:

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

pvoth1111

circleD

It'd be like a cousin Eddie on the road  :)rotflmao . "Crapper is full". I think it'd be a great idea but what if the gears get jammed or motor stops. Digging in there to replace it  D:oH!

eXodus

just connect your tanks to your exhaust pipe and burn all the stuff.

dont see the purpose

Elandan2

The problem with the electric valves is when they fail.  There are problem areas such as the plastic worm drive gears.  When there is a problem, you have to open them with a screwdriver to turn the worm gear shaft by hand.  A slow process and not too conducive to getting rid of the waste from the tank.  We tried to adapt our valves to an electric system, but found that the air powered version we currently have is much more reliable, operates faster (opens in less than 1 second), and can be easily opened if there is no source of air.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

I remember many years ago when I was driving OTR rigs I heard a commotion on the CB about a trucker trying to kill a guy in an RV in a truck stop up ahead.It was pouring down rain and I was due to stop anyway so I rolled in and sure enough this guy was at the front of the RV with his tire beater and he wanted to use it on the guy in the RV. The cops were just getting there so people were scattering but I hung around since I had to fill out my log book anyway. Turns out that the guy in the RV had cable operated valves and figured since it was pouring he would just dump on the run. Well he did not realize that the stuff in the tank was not all liquid, (new to RV's) and also did not pay attention to the fact that there was a truck behind him. Well, the poo hit the fan! Literately, the radiator fan, and the entire front of the truck. The trucker got next to him and forced him into the rest stop. I don't think I have to describe what it looked like. The rain washed off a lot of the stuff on the outside but the radiator was clogged with it. At the time I left there were a couple more cops there because the truckers in the stop were getting rowdy. I decided that even though I was one of them I did not want to go to jail so I left. Don't know what the outcome was but I am sure it was quite expensive for the RV guy.
It sounds kind of funny now and it was then, at least to another trucker but looking back that had all the makings of a disaster. The truck could have crashed, the truck could have caused the camper to crash, the trucker could very well have hurt the the driver and his family at the truck stop.
If you were the truck driver what would you have done?
Even if nobody is behind you, it is on the road and somebody is going to have to drive through it.

ClydesdaleKevin

Greywater only here (composting toilet), and phosphate free eco friendly soaps are all we use.  Not saying we would do it...since its illegal to dump grey water according to the EPA...but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything if you were the only one on the road.  You'd be traveling at 45mph and more, so you wouldn't be dumping a pool of water in one spot that someone might hydroplane through.  Just a line of water to trailing behind you for a bit.  Again, not advocating or condoning dumping greywater via an electric valve...but also again saying it sure would be convenient and wouldn't hurt anything.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

eXodus

if its only graywater you could just dump it in any ditch on a back road.

Schwarzkopf9

Air operated? I didn't know there was such a thing. I assume you need an onboard compressor like airbrakes or horn or something. I do like the dark road idea! Also, if you get an annoying tailgater.... :)

Elandan2

Yes, Air operated.  In fact, we supply many valves to Mexican manufacturers who put the switch controlling the valve at the driver's location.  If any of you are traveling in Mexico, do not follow any buses too close!! W% Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

pvoth1111

Yes I have seen many bus conversions with pneumatic operated valves.....as they have onboard air already it makes sense to use it if you got it.