Throttle cable broken, 77 Elandan

Started by class87, November 25, 2008, 11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

class87

Sent: 11/18/2003 6:14 PM

Im hopping someone can help me with a couple problems.  I broke the throttle cable on my camper last week andam having a heck of a tme tring to find one.  I have a 440 with a 4 barrel.  Second before that broke it just didnt seem like it wanted to turn over.  Battries are fine and charges.   Someone please help me.  I have owned this only a couple weeks and am still waiting for my manuals to get here.

Thanks
Gene

Sent: 11/18/2003 7:32 PM

My throttle cable broke too. Other owners have had to replace it, and I think it is about $70. The Dodge Motorhome Chassis Parts Catalog shows a Throttle Control Cable mopar number 3820840 for all 440s up through 1977, and the return spring p.n. of 3751540, but a hardware store spring could be found to fit too.
It is Hard to reach the pedal end of it. I got a cable from a late model dodge minivan for $2 and made new end brackets for it, mostly to save money. The radiator was out making access easy, or I would have bought the original part. If you cant get the part from a dealer, or NAPA, I use dartman67@aol.com, who sells OEM parts much cheaper than the dealers, and specializes in older mopar items. He works best from part numbers, but I think he does have the parts catalogs.
For the not-wanting-to-turn-over problem, I will presume it at least begins to turn. Can you measure the voltage at the starter while it cranks. Put a voltmeter between a bolt on the tranny that isnt right at the starter, and to the fat terminal on the starter. When cranking the voltage there should be over 9 volts, preferrably 11 or higher. If it is that high, I would suspect the armature in the starter is dragging on the field coils or the brushes are slicked with hardened grease - meaning a rebuilt starter. If your voltage is low, start cleaning contacts and renewing the battery cable system, and pay as much attention to the frame to engine ground connections as you do to the -positive- side of the circuit. With the age of our winnys, it’s a wonder they start at all with the original cables and connectors. 440s should be pretty easy to turn over - low compression. And if there isnt a heat shield between the starter and the exhaust manifold, you need to install one.
denison

Sent: 11/18/2003 9:04 PM

I have to agree with Denison, he worked me through my exact same problem and it turned out to be the starter on my 79 Brave w/ 440-3 engine.  It was a very difficult job to replace it with the headers in the way and zero clearance to boot.  Mine had burnt up due to being extremely close to the header.  A heatshield took care of that problem.  Rebuilt starter at Advanced auto was only $39 and now she spins like a top.

Mark
BonneauBago
Bonneau, SC