Off to training

Started by Stripe, April 14, 2014, 12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

Well, going on first trip out since the end of summer trip to the Olympic Forest.
Heading north to a small (read VERY small) town called Custer, Wa. (about 106 miles) to do some more training with my new K9 partner, a chocolate Lab named Penny..  She's hyper and still a puppy but darned good at Explosives detection.

I will be gone for two days and not sure if I will be able to get internet while out so I thought I'd give you all a heads up.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

joanfenn

Good luck Fredric.  Have fun.

legomybago

Have a "bang up" time.... ???
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Old Man Powell

Good luck with your new partner. Very cool!

M & J

Stay in touch if you can amigo.
M & J

UK-Winnie

That does sound like fun.

We have a Lab who's very good at .......... food detection !
........nostalgia is not what it used to be

Stripe

Running Joykuspot from my old nokia phone, so not sure when I'll get pics to you all, I sent one off to OldRockandRoller so I'll let him post that.

Today's training went very well.  Ran the pups on vehicles (including an old front engine diesel Bluebird bus and a Camper trailer who's model escapes me right now), luggage and room interiors.  Penny was great! (once you get her to calm down).  Very focused once she knows it's time to go to work.  I am very happy with her and am glad she will be paired up with me for the season. 

The other handler Ryan who is new at this also did very well. I picked him up on my way up here. They gave him a more experienced(read slower paced) chocolate Lab named Chloe and she will make him into a good handler.  Just needs to not crowd her when working.

Tonight we had Ham rollups for dinner that Ryan had made and brought with us for the trip.  He and I will be two of the teams that will be working the Port Terminals in Seattle.

We'll be working for Disney, Carnival, Princess and Holland America Cruise lines..

Well, that's it for tonight's log entry. Will do another tomorrow..
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

Awesome man!  You have the ultimate dream job!  Working and training K9s...which is just another way of saying playing with dogs!  I do it because I love it...playing with dogs that is.  You do it because you love it, AND make a living off of it!  Awesome!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

M & J

Here's a couple pics Stripe sent me last night. First one is The Goose landing at K9 Training Camp.
The second is of the now famous Ham Rollups his handler training partner Ryan fixed up for them to eat while at the camp.
How about some of you and your new K9 partner Penny running through the paces Stripe? Unless it's a violation of national security.
M & J

Old Man Powell

Love the update... please keep them coming when you can. And pictures too if possible.

M & J

Ok. So I asked Stripe last night (or was it this morning) to send some action shots of him training with Penny. He sent the first one.... He's such a comedian....

Then he sent the rest:
M & J

M & J

Kevin: Fredric ask I post these pictures for your enjoyment. He said to make SURE you showed these to your kids. His name is Napolian:

M & J

M & J

And finally, Stripe sent these pictures of the new kid in class. This is Em, "a total puppy in training".  :)ThmbUp

M & J

UK-Winnie

........nostalgia is not what it used to be

TripleJ

That's some cool stuff. Detection dog are really amazing to watch :)ThmbUp
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

fleetmasterfred

Head up, ears at attention, body ready to spring into action!  The lab looks ready too! 

Well done Fredric, those of us out here appreciate your dedication to your craft. 

joanfenn

Beautiful dog but you should have saved our government some money and used your own dog. :)

Stripe

Lol, Thanks Oldrockandroller!
And thank all of you others for the kind remarks!
LOL FleetmasterFred!

Joan, no worries, she was paid for in Canadian money therefore a lot less expensive..  :angel:
Remember the Flag Project I posted?  I am hoping to get a hold of a Canadian Flag to put on my awning. I think it will look cool! I'm trying to convince my boss to bring one with him as I want one from Canada..  Here's hoping.. :D

Okay, now that's out of the way, time for the new update on the next post...  Queue cool space Music please...
Fredric,

Stripe

CWVRV Base this is The Ground Ship Aluminum Goose..  We have landed safely at Homebase...

Today's training was long and busy.  We did what we call "Problems" in a old Fire House in Custer. Ran two different times with the training aids planted in different locations each time. Then we did luggage outside in the parking lot.  Basically the trainer will put out a dozen pieces of luggage and hide an explosive in one of them.  THen we go along and have our partners search them. Penny is getting better focused on this task and will def be ready by season time. AS far as I am concerned I was a bit rusty at first what with being able to work a dog again and the nerves I got when my boss and a bunch of other folks I don't know are watching.  Today though I was a LOT smoother and my confidence is right back up there where it was when I was in Afghanistan..

I can't wait until Cruise Season..  :D

When we completed our rounds at the firehouse (two times each handler and then we got to watch two pups in training, Napolian and Em..  Cute, cuddly and hyper but very eager to learn and are progressing very well from what I can tell.

Penny will be living with me and I will be living in the 'Goose' hopefully parked right in the port terminal at the back where I can be out of sight out of mind from everyone else.

The 'Goose' did pretty darned good herself by the way.  Aside from an environmental glitch, that will be repaired now that we are in Dry Dock once again (Furnace Thermostat needs replacing), I can report no problems on the drive up or back. And towing wasn't a problem either. Although  I towed the Rover up with me in anticipation of needing it to drive to training, I ended up not needing her. I drove the company truck to training. With that being said, I will more than likely leave the Rover behind on my next trip up.

Also, Ryan, my co-worker will be coming again and he will be the chef once more..  I feel bad but he likes cooking so I'm not going to complain and I have told him that up front..  He gets a kick out riding in the RV and now he is bitten by the RV bug..  He wants one similar to the 'Goose' because he likes the fact it can turn tighter than the larger rigs. Plus he likes the idea of no rent and going on the road, possibly talking his brother into leveling a parking spot for him too, lol..

Again, thanks for all the posts!
Respectfully,
Fredric (The HAPPY and pleasantly TIRED K9 handler)
Fredric,

Stripe

Oh, I almost forgot to mention this..  My trainer had forgotten that he had planted an explosive aid in the rear right passenger seat in the firetruck and apologized for not getting a photo of what Penny does when she finds a training aid. Will get one next week and maybe a Video as well.. :D
Fredric,

M & J

M & J

legomybago

What is your gross weight all loaded up, rolling down the road with the Rover in tow?  Hm?

Stripe

Thanks Mike.. :D
Quote from: legomybago on April 16, 2014, 12:44 PM
What is your gross weight all loaded up, rolling down the road with the Rover in tow?  Hm?

Wow bago, you saying I'm Overweight? ???  I know I could stand to lose a few pounds but I like to think for my age I'm doing pretty good..   :)rotflmao

But seriously, lol..  I honestly dunno what the weight of the RV is at the moment, not weighed it yet.  The Rover is just over 5K lbs.  I'll have to find the weight certificate.  I want to say 5060 and that was with two dogs sitting in it at the time..
Fredric,

legomybago

Im pretty sure when Im loaded, I weigh more W%

Stripe

I totally hear ya, but I don't drink as much anymore.. :laugh:
Fredric,