P30 Front Mount Receiver?

Started by Hahn007, April 10, 2014, 04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hahn007

Anybody know if there is a bolt on front receiver available for an 85 P30 chassis? 

I have searched the internet without any luck.   Looked at all the big names I could think of,  Reese,  Draw Tight,  Valley,  etc.

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

legomybago

They do make steel "receiver stock". My uncle used to build his own hitches...You could call around to some fabrication shops and ask if they have any? It's a special sized steel.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Hahn007

Stripe,  I too had found both of those hitches in my searching.   The first one is a universal fit that I had assumed was intended for the rear of the rv.   The second one looks like a real nice setup,  only problem is they only offer it for jeep when I search 1985 in their application guide.

Was hoping for a direct bolt in with  little to no fabrication required.

Will keep looking and see what turns up.

Stripe

Hahn, I just got off the phone with E-Trailer Support (1145 hrs Pacific Time).  The tech (Brandon) says it can be front mounted as well as rear mounted.  In fact he also said "You can mount the thirteen seven oh three anywhere it will fit on an RV or a Trailer."  ;)

Hopefully that alleviates any doubts as to what options you now have. :D

Also, if you have a look at this link,  http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Specialty_Trailer_Hitches-sf-RV_Hitch.aspx
There are several options available to simply bolt the hitch to the bumper support frame.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Depends on what you are going to use it for.  If its just to hold a bike rack, you can use a universal bolt on model.  Did that on our 72 Futura, then took it off when we got the 77 Itasca with a P30 chassis and bolted it to the front crossmember behind the bumper...had to drill 4 holes.  Later, when I had a welder weld up the scissor type leveling jacks to the front, I had him lay a bead on both sides of the receiver.  Which by the way should have been more than strong enough to launch a boat, even though we only used it for bikes.

If its to launch boats, then the above is a cheap alternative and super strong.

I believe it was a Reese universal bolt on deally, and worked on both models...and as noted the 77 was a P30.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Hahn007

Thanks guys I can now move forward with this modification.   I really appreciate the tips.

circleD

Hahn, I have made these for my pick up trucks for winches and fishing baskets. Having a 2'' tube welded to a cross member that's bolted to the frame using holes already there or the tow hooks. My advise depending on how strong you want this, is to buy the metal and have some one weld it up for you. On average it's $30 for metal and $30-$50 to get someone to weld it and drill the holes. If you already cut the lengths and mark the holes it's cheaper so they don't have to do as much work. Honestly though, I've made a front mounting system that uses the tow hooks mounting position and done away with the hooks by welding a piece of angle to a 2" tube and bolting those to the tow hooks mounting spots. This isn't a single hitch coming out of the front but there's no more rattling or bouncing going down the road because the pivot point is not there with 2 spots. I don't have a pic of that truck but if you just want something quick and easy with a small load on it then a center mount hitch would be great, but if you want 100 lbs or more with out any worries then just make 2 hitches utilizing the piece of angle and a tube on the inside of each frame rail. You never know if or when you need an anchor point and it's already there  :)