Launching Boat With RV

Started by Hahn007, April 03, 2014, 11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hahn007

Probably gonna sound crazy, but just wondering how many people have launched boats with 30' RV's.

Would really like to take boat camping with family but don't want to bring extra vehicle for use at boat ramp.
Kind of defeats purpose of traveling together, not to mention fuel for two vehicles instead of just one thirsty motor home.

Concerns:

* Long overhang of coach causing boat to tilt at extreme angle while cresting boat ramp.
* Long wheel base of coach causing high centering of motor home under carriage at apex of ramp.
* Navigating often very crowded boat launch areas.
* Leaving motor home and boat trailer parked on sloped boat ramp while launching boat.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, personal experience, etc.

Chris

legomybago

People do it...Our P30 has a hitch receiver welded under the front bumper, could either be for launching boat, or just for a bike/motorcycle carrier?? My Great Grandfather used to launch his boat from the front of his rig...maybe he wasn't a good backer upper  :P
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Oz

Look at the red, underlined word by lego... front.. bumper.

Even with a shorter RV (like the 24' I used to sink... er... launch my boat with), launching can be a real PITA.  I got to watch someone with a longer, older Coachmen (30') launch his with a hitch on the front, which he put on just for that purpose.  I talked to him afterward.  IMO, that was definitely the way to go.

You can see every move you make.
It takes a lot less steering and maneuvering to get the trailer aligned, both launching and more importantly, when loading.
You can see when your trailer is at the correct depth.
You don't need a second person to ground guide you.
Your drive wheels are well up on the ramp... this is extremely important if the ramp has algae on it from recent high water levels!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cosmic

I have a hitch on my front bumper and yes its a breeze to launch my boat. depending on the size of the boat you don't need much of a hitch on the front. My boat is a 16 ft aluminium fishing boat with 60 hp on it. my reese hitch is bolted to the bottom of my chrome bumper and welded to the rad frame behind it. there is no way possible to mount a scooter on this receiver. but works great for pulling the boat out.

moonlitcoyote

When I manage to get my boat into the same state as us that is the way I planned on launching it. I have a 20ft fiberglass boat with a chevy 454 engine we use for water skiing and fishing. Putting it on the front of the RV is the only way to go.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Gee MJ, is that sking or skimming?
[move][/move]

Sprdtyf350

moonlitcoyote

well I have skimmed on the water a few times when I tried slalom skiing, but I do usually ski

Hahn007

Thank you for the replies so far.   I too had considered a front mounted hitch.  I was concerned with having traction problems backing up the ramp due to weight transfer to front axle.   Was also concerned about navigating campground and boat launch area with trailer connected to front hitch.

Chris

Neil Carrick

Not to mention the freeways!!   D:oH! 
:laugh: :)rotflmao
Neil and Shelley

HandyDan

My HR came with a front hitch when I bought it.  The PO said his nephew used to launch their fishing boat with the Motorhome.  Personally, I can't see it.  Trying to maneuver a 33ft motorhome on a boat ramp is more than I want to undertake.  I pull a boat to the campsite, but usually there is someone with a pickup that takes the boat to the ramp.  On Labor day we have a small Redneck Yacht Club formed. 
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Front hitch is the only way to go really if launching a good size boat from an RV.  You tow it behind you, get where you are going, then unhitch it from the back, hitch it to the front, and put it in the water.

Either that, or just get a canoe...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

cosmic

keep in mind. I have a 21 foot stubby. I have launched that boat with the winnie in some bad places. some bad gravel ones too. I agree that in a 30 footer. you would need a state run perfect ramp boat launch before I would risk it.

Chief Crazy Canoe

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on April 03, 2014, 10:57 PM
Either that, or just get a canoe...lol!

Kev

I second the 'get a canoe"

Its more like launching a FedEx 727 back in the day with the push-back!  It does get kinda hairy when you're backing up the RV and the boat...to get it turned around in the boat ramp area.  Just be super cautious about the 35' Baja that you almost bumped-in to!

Froggy1936

I use my 21 ft RV have had no problems but do not have a large overhang , I also carry a large steel wedge for a tire block to use wile launching , If God forbid the RV would break free wile there is no one in it that would create a terrible loss or at least a big mess.  You do have to be carefull that you dont let the coach body get submerged at all because they are far from waterproof ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

M & J

The Mighty Oz might share some of his rv/boat launching experiences.............. :)clap :laugh:
M & J

Hahn007

Sound advice.
Thank you for all of the replies.

Oz

Quote from: oldrockandroller on February 13, 2015, 12:46 PM
The Mighty Oz might share some of his rv/boat launching experiences.............. :)clap :laugh:

Oh boy... the only thing better than describing them would be videos.  They'd go viral.

:)rotflmao
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

M & J

At least you finally answered the long standing question of if a Winnie would float.
M & J