Transmission isn't shifting properly

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 25, 2008, 11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 10/12/2002 7:46 PM

I have a question in regards to the transmission in my 73 brave with the 318 and 727 transmission. After taking our rig on several trips I was not happy with the way the transmission would shift. I very rarely ever felt it shift and it never would kick down even with the pedal to the floor. I changed the filter and adjusted the bands ) with no difference. From a dead stop accelerating at about 1/4 throttle the tranmission will shift into high by 15mph. The shifts are rapid and light, with the first shift at about 12mph or so and the second at 15mph. I can barely even notice the shifts even while looking at the tach. The engine appears to only drop about 100 rpm. When I manually shift the transmission it seems to shift OK. Should I be concerned?   
                                                           Derrek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think my 73 D22 (with the 413) shifts at speeds a little higher - with about 1/4 throttle, going into 2nd about 15, and into 3rd about 20. If I use about 1/2 throttle it goes into 3rd between 25 and 30 I think. I have never had it downshift from 3rd (high) going faster than about 5 mph, not even when I floored it. My engine doesn't seem to drop more than 100 rpm at shift points either, but then there is plenty of converter slip at 2200 rpm or so. Those up shifts are nearly imperceptible, and the downshifts seem to happen just before I stop at a traffic light. Been this way from 49k to 89k miles. denison

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adjust the linkage so that at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) the linkage is as far back as it will go without bottoming out. An 8th inch of play is good.  I just adjusted mine and it works much better now.  KEVsws6