Long distance traveling

Started by Odss91b, March 21, 2014, 07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odss91b

We just bought our 89 Winnebago chieftain and have dreams of driving off into the sunset during the summer to go camping. What are things I need to have checked before the vacation attacks? I am in the process of getting the fridge fixed and fixing or buying a new generator and getting new tires. But want to make sure that the family is safe and happy throughout our journey. 

tiinytina

on the right of the screen. click on resource list and start opening files.  Also purchase the coach and chassis  manual if your rig didn't come with one as well as repair manuals for all appliances. With full membership here many manuals are free, and some you can purchase.  don't 100% trust anything the previous owner told you about the rig until you check it yourself....
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Oz

Good ideas, Tina!  Also, on the main board, download a copy of the "Used RV Buying Checklist."  This will give you a very good way to go over your RV thoroughly and identify if things are working.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cosmic

I agree with Tina. Lots of great stuff in those manuals. spend a good day going over everything with your own eyes. or pay a trusted mechanic to go over it. first and most important is your families safety. check the brakes,  propane system and the overall condition of the engine and drive train. You can survive out on the road with a broken ac unit if need be, but with a blown engine or bad breaks, your playing with fire so to say.

ClydesdaleKevin

Belts and hoses and brakes.  Did I mention belts and hoses and brakes?

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Odss91b

Thanks for the input guys! Do I have the p30 chassis? If not what.

Stripe

If you have a Chevy chassis and the 454 engine, then odds are good you have the P30..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Froggy1936

Unless it has two tails Then its a P38  W% Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Stripe

Ohh, Love the "Lightning"...
Fredric,

HandyDan

There is a lot of rhetoric about whether it is a P30 or a P32 or even a P37.  Take your choice when you go to NAPA. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

moonlitcoyote

Quote from: Froggy1936 on March 22, 2014, 01:19 PM
Then its a P38  W% Frank

I miss my P-38, the greatest Army invention

HandyDan

You are referring to the p38 can opener, aren't you?  I was in the Navy, we always had somebody else open our cans. 
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Odss91b

I still carry my P38 in my wallet!

Oz

But the P39 was better.  One per case of C rats.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteThanks for the input guys! Do I have the p30 chassis? If not what.

I will answer this question this way:

If you look in the Chevy Light Truck Service Manual for the year of your chassis, it says the P32 is for the motorhome chassis and P42 for the Commercial Delivery Truck Chassis

When you go to a Chevy parts site the Motorhome Chassis is listed as P32 however the Commercial Delivery Truck Chassis is listed as P31.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

Quote from: HandyDan on March 22, 2014, 06:06 PM
You are referring to the p38 can opener, aren't you?  I was in the Navy, we always had somebody else open our cans. 
Dan

Hehe, I always opened my own..  :D  I was issued a lot of knives one for everytime I was deployed, lol..
Fredric,

Thundercloud

Before riding off in the sunset you may want to drive it around locally some until it proves itself. If your home try putting the battery or batteries to the test by turning on all the lights and radio for an hour. Then try to start it. You want good battery power for facing the elements. Check all fluids. Such as  differential (rearend) transmission, powersteering fluid, brake fluid, engine oil. Do a check on your blinkers and emergency flashers if you have them. And make sure you have a spare tire, jack, and lug wrench and flashlight. Flats don't always. happen in the daytime. Just a few ideas for you. And its good to carry a few simple tools with you like a adjustable wrench, needle nose pliers, phillips and flathead screwdrivers, and a socket wrench kit with standard and metric sizes and jumper cables.
Independence, freedom and determination!!!