1979 itasca 454 engine dying problems

Started by starrebel, March 30, 2014, 05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

This company treated me right the first time and I trust them.  The carb they sent me was pristine and PLUG AND PLAY ready to go, no tweaking OR adjusting. Guaranteed... 
In fact I believe our admin here used to drive by their shop every day at one time..
When I got my Carb, I thought they made a mistake and sent me a brand spanking new carburetor.

http://www.guaranteedcarburetors.com/category/CTMH/CHEVY--GMC-TRUCK-and-MOTORHOME-8Cylinder-4-Barrel-Carburetor/1.html
And you can't go wrong for US$178.00

THey even send you a postage paid return box and instructions on what they need back from you..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Rickf1985

For the price he is charging for the stage one and considering what he is putting in it I would just as soon send it to him and save myself the trouble. I said they were my favorites but I am not a glutton for punishment, it is still a lot of work. :)ThmbUp

Rick

starrebel

It appears to be fixed. This afternoon I got a gallon gas can. but about 2 oz if Berrymans B12 Chemtool and mixed it up. Hooked it directly to the fuel pump and she ran until it was gone. About 1/2 hour. I repeated the same for another gallon. and she drank all that too. I then replaced the filter under the frame rail and hooked it back up the way she is supposed to be. The filter had some resistance til I blew against the flow. Went and got another one. She ran for over an hour and never missed a beat. I also picked up some vacuum hose and tomorrow I will start replacing it all. Thank you guys for all your help. I am going to get the numbers off the carb and order a kit just incase. The fitting that goes from the pump to the carb is dripping a little gas. I did a little research on it and found out the older flared fittings were a little different. I compared the old pump to the new pump and they are. The newone has a flat on it and the old one was more of a radius so am going to go sown to the hardware store and see if I can by a fitting with a radius. Fun Times :)  Thanks again I appreciate the help.
Mike

starrebel

Wow Stripe. Thanks for the link to guaranteed carburetors. At that price it might be worth paying the 88 core charge and having a back up ready to go. Then I can try to rebuild the other one myself. Thanks again and I owe you one.

Mike 
Mike

Stripe

No worries, just hope it helps out..

Fredric,

ramit

awsome link ill be ordering a carb from them ... thanx  :)ThmbUp

Stripe

I didn't but fixed the problem that it caused so MAKE SURE YOU READ THE PAPERWORK they send!

They will ship you (like I said previously) a plug-n-play carb, just mount it (with all the proper gaskets of course) and reconnect everything like it was on the old carb.  Won't need to adjust a thing.
Fredric,

TheSportsmanDodger

TAKE IT TO THE "jets" man to the jets, check your choke too. sticky jets can junk off yoir idle.

starrebel

Update:  Took her down to the Pony express trail. She did great. About 50 miles down dirt roads and never skipped a beat. Only problem was refrigerator didn't work and found a couple more leaks in the roof. Fixed them last weekend but there is still one more. Filled the water tank. looks like water tank is holding but massive water leak in hot water heater. Seems like P/O might have lied about winterizing it so may have issues there. going to try to  bypass it and see what else is wrong. Fun times. I found someone in salt lake that had a 79 Itasca they were parting out so for $280 I got a new door, water heater, refrigerator, Entire dash with American speedo, doghouse cover cause mine is all bent up, The storage box above drivers compartment, Ignition switch, 7 brand new cabinet latches. I think that was a pretty good deal. Thanks guys for your help.

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on January 17, 2014, 05:46 PMI may have just answered my own question by typing in GM 15528707 on Google.This is from a Barth owner's website:"Those of you with late 80's Chev chassis will have a "hybrid" fuel system.  (Mechanical fuel pump and carb but also an electric pump in the tank.)  The pump is run by the fuel pump relay GM 15528707.  (see the 1996 Chev Motor Home guide Appendix 7-7 page 7-44 to 7-46)  The relay has 2 functions:  it supplies power to the fuel pump during cranking and while running but shuts off if oil pressure is lost. Also it supposedly has a delay timer to cycle the pump for 5 seconds prior to startup.  (This, and the color coding for the relay, from page 7-46)Bad news:  this  relay is required for engine operation, prone to failure, the part is not available anywhere I know of, and the relay diagram is vague about which wire does what inside the relay.Good news: it's just a standard single pole (5 wire) relay with a timer inside.  My Barth was slow to start after sitting due to dry carb bowl.  I have manual fan switches to run after shutdown to reduce heat soak but carb still needs priming.  Inspection of the relay (a tight fit under the forward left side of the doghouse near AC compressor and too tight for pics, sorry) revealed an empty relay case attached and another relay hanging from the wires.  My relay did not have the 5 second cycle working.  Search for replacement was dead end.To take care of both problems I replaced the relay with the generic 5 pole type (same as the headlight relays, fan switch relay, etc.)  I also added (dashed lines in drawing) a normally open switch to trigger the relay for manual priming.  After sitting for some time, I hit the prime button about 15 sec and the engine started promptly!If relay 15528707 fails, you'll need this info...The black and dk blue wires are interchangeable. I happen to have a spare 5 pole relay from my headlamp troubleshooting from a while back, so I might just go ahead and try this!If his wire colors are correct, it even looks like I could directly bypass this thing in a pinch where he added in a priming switch, and the priming switch isn't a bad idea either!I'm gonna try it!Kev
Mike

Stripe

Fredric,

HandyDan

What a coincidence.  I just visited the beginning of the Pony Express in St. Joseph, Missouri today.  Very interesting site.  I can't imagine sending the mail on a 1800 mile ride on horses.  It must have been very planned out with way stations out west.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Rickf1985

Quote from: cncsparky on April 01, 2014, 09:38 PM
Or you can do what I did, send it in to Sean Murphy induction.  They have the tools and expertise to do it right, quickly, and cheaper than an exchange carb at the auto parts store.  You send yours in and get your same carb back!

http://www.smicarburetor.com/products/sfID1/85/sfID2/86/sfID3/9
I called SMI to order a Quadrajet and the guy tells me there is a 6 week wait for one of their builds!!! I ordered it anyway but now I have to rebuild mine to get through emissions. I guess some people still know what carburetors are for huh?

cncsparky

Wow, springtime might be a busy time for them! They are well known amongst the GM musclecar groups.  I sent mine in the fall and had it back less than 2 weeks. 
-Tom

TheSportsmanDodger

If you recently replaced your batteries wrong look near your starter ground ive burned a alt ground in half before.

String her smoldering strands together and e tape.