Kool-O-Matic 12RV repair and PM

Started by Turbodime, March 24, 2014, 07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turbodime

Kool-O-Matic   RV-12 repair and lube.  I found that the rubber isolators on my exhaust fan were rotted and one of them came off its mounting stud.  I searched the net for a replacement part and I found out that Kool-o-matic is no longer in business.

I knew these were vibration isolators, so I did a quick search on McMaster-Carr and found a match.

www.mcmaster.com/#9376k29/=r8jknp

Due to the bug screen it’s best to have some help; one person up on top and one inside.  The isolator takes ¼”-20 nuts so you’ll need a 7/16” wrench.   To change out the three isolators  it took all of 15 minutes.

While I was in there I did a PM (preventive maintenance).  I decided to oil the motor sleeve bearings.  These are a sealed unit and to gain access to the wool wicks I drilled two small holes.  I liberally soaked the wick without over doing it.  I think it was around 15-20 drips from the 3 in one bottle.   You don’t want so much oil that it’s dripping into the motor at the top and out of the motor on the bottom.

I then ran it on a drill for 30 seconds to make sure everything sounded and felt fine.  You don’t want a lot of radial play. If you feel a lot of drag and radial slop, the bearing and or the shaft is toast.  If this is the case, a new motor is in store.   

I did this because my RV had sat for 7yrs and all the electric motors throughout had dry sleeve bearings.  I saved three motors by oiling them and replaced two due to corrosion.

Stripe

That's the same motor I have in my Ceiling vents..
???
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28