Transmission lost reverse

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 25, 2008, 11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 10/3/2001 3:15 PM

Hi All
1974/5    Chieftan     Dodge N500       VIN M50DA5JO13973    Location France

I have lost reverse gear!   The rig has been layed up for 3 years. I spent a couple of days getting the old girl ready for a 50 mile trip to a new house we have moved to. Before leaving, all systems were working OK.  Reach home (50 miles) went for reverse nothing?!   Cheked oil level in the box, perfect, externaly selector arm is working fine.  Have to say reverse was always slow to come in, took a second or two. Any body out there any idears were to go next?    MALC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check in at ramcharger central.com. lots of "motorheads" there very knowledgeable about 727 transmissions.  chip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news but, loss of reverse is often one of the first signs of an automatic transmission failure. This is due to the fact that reverse requires more internal pressure. The culprit could be the front pump or clutch bands.
     While the 727 transmission is easy to service here in the states I have no conception of the situation in France. A rebuild here should be around $350 to $400. I you have the ability or facilities to install and adjust a 727 transmission the best bet may be to order a rebuilt unit and install it locally.  Cousin Eddie 

Sent: 12/9/2003 9:04 PM

Reply to archived post...

Someone said: <<Cheked oil level in the box, perfect, externaly selector arm
> is working fine. Have to say reverse was always slow to come in, took a second
> or two. Any body out there any idears were to go next? >>

A friend of mine had this happen to him. Reverse suddenly leaves with no warning. What he found was the pin had fallen out of the low/reverse band. This happens when the band is so too far out of adjustment. Adjust your low/reverse band every thime you change your fluid and filter!