My P30 project

Started by cncsparky, March 17, 2014, 08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonD

Speaking of belts.. I have inspected mine and they look good but... I feel a replacement is due for peace of mind.

I have not installed them yet but I have Gates:

Alt/a.i.r./wp=K060560
PS=3L410
A.I.R. (the lone one)=7450
A/C/ps/wp=3L610

Sound right? I did a x ref from GM PN.

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

cncsparky

Don, the only belt I can vouch for is the power steering 3L410 sounds like my 15410.  My other belt, alternator, will be different from yours.
-Tom

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

cncsparky

Air bags came in today.  About an hour had one in  W%   LOL.  Not looking forward to doing the other side.

As I looked at the instructions that came with the bag, it said to twist the bag to slide up into the hole.  It sure doesn't look small enough to me.  Thought for a moment, if I could get a vacuum drawn on the bag to suck the air out, maybe it would make it small enough.  I have an AC vacuum pump from Harbor Freight that was used last about 9-10 years ago when I replaced a compressor in my work car.  After taking it partially apart and finding a standard air hose fitting for it, I hooked it up to the bag and WOW it sucked it flat!

Once the bag was in the coil cavity, had some trouble getting it to untwist enough to get the air connection to where I could get some air in it.  Also, I did not lube it like the instructions said, it seems like it would be too slippery to get a good grip on it to twist it up into that small hole.
-Tom

cncsparky

Also, picked up the radiator today.  They again commented on how good of shape it is in, guessed about 30K miles, told them to double that  :)rotflmao ! 
They said it definitely had some trash in it.  He explained that they remove one side of the radiator to 'rod' it out then put back together. 
Something I know very little about  Hm?    Cost was $95 + tax

-Tom

Stripe

Have you seen my post on the airbag / spring job I did?  You had dryer weather..  $@!#@!

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7759.msg36431.html#msg36431
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

cncsparky

Hey Stripe, yea I remember seeing that one!  Really kicking around dropping the lower a-arm, like you did, on the other side.  A side benefit is to be able to check out the ball joints at the same time.
-Tom

cncsparky

Took the alternator in to have new bearings installed.  They sounded dry when spinning by hand. 
The shop spun it up and found out it had a bad rectifier also.  Good catch!  Cost $60 + tax. 
The alternator is called a CS130 and rated at 105 amps.  We saw 118 out of it. 

-Tom

DonD

Quote from: DonD on March 20, 2014, 02:05 PM
Speaking of belts.. I have inspected mine and they look good but... I feel a replacement is due for peace of mind.

I have not installed them yet but I have Gates:

Alt/a.i.r./wp=K060560
PS=3L410
A.I.R. (the lone one)=7450
A/C/ps/wp=3L610<---Should be 7612, the 3L is too narrow.<------

Sound right? I did a x ref from GM PN.
Don and Mary

circleD

Did you get a new alternator or rebuild the old one?

cncsparky

He rebuilt the original right there as I waited. 
-Tom

cncsparky

Still going together  :)ThmbUp .  Got a new AC fuel pump installed.  Got the alternator bracket back on and alternator bolted enough to see if my new belt size fits.  I used a Gates K060529 serpentine belt.  Looks like a great fit and plenty of adjustment left.  Built a 3.8" spacer to place where the unneccessary pulley was and keep the bracket as secure as possible. 

The electric fan switch was spliced into the upper radiator hose (see previous pictures).  I moved it to the thermostat housing to help simplify things.  Also didn't want to cut into my new upper hose  :'(

Edit - 1/2" X 3/8" adapter Edelmann pt# 210860 available at most parts stores, got mine at O'reilly.
-Tom

Stripe

Fredric,

cncsparky

OK, I need some opinions, advice  Hm? .  Notice on my new belt configuration that the water pump-alternator belt only contacts the WP pulley a small amount.  This doesn't look like a good setup to me  i?? .  Potential for a lot of belt slippage it would seem?

I'm currently trying to find a belt size that will go over the wp pulley, crank, and ps pulley.  Instead of the two identical ps belts, one would wrap around the wp pulley.  This will be a custom size I am chasing down.  What do you think?
-Tom

DonD

Yes, belt the wp to ps to crank.

Your pics and fitting pn have been a big help, thanks Tom!
Don and Mary

cncsparky

Ok, found a 15460 (Gates 7460) belt fits over the crank to WP to PS and tightens about the same as the crank to PS belt (15410).
This should be a better setup.

-Tom

DonD

Don and Mary

cncsparky

Made another change to my belt setup  D:oH! .  I remembered that I had another alternator bracket from a previous project and decided to mock it up and see how it looks.  Wasn't real happy with the stock setup after removing the unneccessary pulleys, the alternator belt seems excessively long. 

The new alternator bracket is a mid mount from alan grove components, part number 225R.  Bought it for a V-belt setup and wasn't sure if it would work with a serpentine belt.  After fitting it and getting a new belt, gates K060448, I've decided to run this setup. 

This gets rid of 2 large brackets and cleans up the top of the engine.  Should make servicing that much easier.  Luckily, the alternator wiring was long enough to reach the new location.  I bent some aluminum strap material to connect the solenoid bracket where the stock alternator bracket was at.  Barely see part of it at the top of this photo. 

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/Big_Block_Long_Pump.htm
-Tom

cncsparky

Two days of reassembly, its back together for the most part  :)clap    Still need to add coolant, fire it up, and check for leaks. 

In the mean time I did get some shocks in and installed.  Monroe's front, back and stabilizer. 

-Tom

cncsparky

Forgot to post this.  I did attempt to flush old fluid out of the PS system.  Pictured is the return hose I opened and ran a temporary hose to a drain.  When I rotated the pump by hand, it seems to push out the old fluid.  I also dumped out the reservoir and filled with fresh. 

A fair amount of old fluid came out this way but then stopped.  I refilled the reservoir but could not get new fluid to pump through again.  I Ended up putting the drain hose to my mouth and sucking a bit  :-[ , the fluid then started to come out.  Did this until I felt like new fluid was in this part of the system then put back together.  Not an official flush, but feel better that there is newer fluid in the system. 

-Tom

Stripe

Fredric,

legomybago

I got a mouth full of gasoline from the genny this weekend.... W%
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

cncsparky

My engine oil cooler lines are failing, one is wet and the other appears to be cracking  D:oH! .  After searching for replacements and not finding any, I decided to pull them out and see if a hydraulic shop can repair them.  A coworker suggested a place my employer uses, I will post info on the repair when its done. 

Couldn't get a wrench on the cooler line fitting at the filter adapter, so pulled the adapter out of the block.  After removing the filter, there are two 1/4" allen head bolts holding the adapter to the block.  Had to use a prybar slightly to break it loose. 

A 3/4" wrench removed the fittings at the cooler.  I pulled the hoses/adapter toward the back of the engine to remove. 

Here are the lines out.  There are four o-rings, one at each end of the tubes that will need replaced.  Also will have to track down new gaskets for the filter adapter.  The fittings at the adapter end are 7/8". 

-Tom

cncsparky

Got my lines back.  Cost to repair both was $95.  Not too bad considering if new was available, they would be around $70 ea. 

Other parts needed, a gasket kit for the oil filter adapter and two additional o-rings.  Felpro # ES72671 and 7/16" ID o-rings.  However, I stumbled upon a Doorman kit that looks like it has all the o-rings needed.  Would need to verify.  Doorman pt# 82560 and is half price of the Felpro.  $@!#@!

Hyspeco did the line repair.  http://www.hyspeco.com/

-Tom

ClydesdaleKevin

I had NAPA make me a high pressure line for our power steering on our old 72 Futura, The Ark.  A lot of NAPAs make custom hydrolic lines.  As I recall, they were pretty cheap.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.