Towing two horses through the country

Started by eXodus, August 20, 2014, 10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eXodus

Small improvements:

- replaced the rear sway bar bushings with energy suspension Polyurethane parts
- replaced the front outer sway bar bushings with moog parts.

the front pieces had been badly worn,swollen and cracked, the rear ones had been made out of black rubber and I could compress them with my bare fingers.
The red poly ones doesn't compress at all.

Next week is trail riding again, 500 miles round-trip. We will see how this change in setup will affect the handling.
I found a thicker front Hellwig sway bar at amazon, maybe this would reduce the stability while driving from passing semis.

Rickf1985

I think you mean "increase" stability.

eXodus

lol  :D  yes, reduce stability would be bad

eXodus

yesterday I replaced the grad 5 hitch bolts with grad 8 and torqued them (120ft-nm)

this should give me about 16.000lbs more capacity before the connection from the hitch to the frame fails. A total of 107.000lbs of shear capacity:P

I wasn't too much concerned about the connection, more about the age of the bolts. They are all more then 20 years old, kinda rusty and a grad 5 bolt tends to fail after 1 Million cycles.
If you count every braking/ acceleration event as cycle, I think I would still have left a couple of hundred thousand cycles, but you never know.

The Grad 8 are good for 2 Million cycles and that I shouldn't get that in my ownership time of the MH.

eXodus

they sway got better. More easy to drive, not perfect but better.

I did install a new one handle level faucet for the bathroom. The old one was leaking.
Looks nice and works like a champ.
No more water temperature mixing with two knobs anymore. Just open and go.

Started to work on the TV-Antenna setup. I got a used HD-receiver which I can use my old 24 Inch TFT Computer Screen as a TV.
Now I kneed to built something to attach it to the wall and the replace the amplifier outlet. The one in mine is dead.
But a new one is only $17...  I also ordered the Wingman attachment for the old Wingard Batwing antenna.

Maybe I get some better signals.

10 more weeks to before the summer trip.

eXodus

one more week to go. horses are registered, travel documents are nearly complete. Trailer axles fresh greased and brakes are all good.

The motorhome got a new hydroboost and main brake cylinder.
first weight was nearly perfect with all water tanks full and hay for 14 days only a couple of pounds under the gcwr. This state will not be normal since we are normally travel with water max 1/3 and the horses eat about 30 -40 pounds of hay a day.