An introduction

Started by Doug B., March 15, 2014, 01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug B.

Hi all! I have been a member for a few months, and owned my 1974 Fleetwood Southwind about the same amount of time. I have used Dave's site and purchased several e-books through this site and I can't express enough how much I appreciate the information I've gained from here.

I'm in Columbus Ohio and intend to begin full timing in this rig in about 6 to 8 weeks. I have found a nice affordable park close to work that appears will be a good fit at least for this summer.

This coach is a barn find that I rehabbed enough last fall to drive the 200 miles home, fairly uneventfully. Since then I have cleaned it out and assessed my situation, I have already purchased 3 new vent assemblies and some vent covers. Its tarped and safe till it is warm enough to install them, at that point I will also decide what to do with the AC unit. I may replace it with a new one, but Im more prone to install a nice powered vent and be done with it. The little freestanding AC units are pretty affordable and would work fine for what I want.

I also have a slew of engine related parts like the fuel pump, water pump and thermostat to replace, and I need to match up belts and hoses once I get them off. I would also like to replace the tank valve sooner rather than later... but everything pretty much hinges on getting some good weather when I have time off to work on the RV.

I hope after a summer I will have an idea of whether or not full timing in an RV is something I really want to do, and if this RV will work as a long term solution with the right upgrades. Ultimately I'm all about setting an RV up with solar and a battery bank big enough for extended dry camping in relative comfort, and I'm also interested in going all electric in the coach in terms of hot water, at least basic cooking, refrigeration, and as close to 3 season climate control as I can get.. but budget dictates baby steps, so using what came with as much as possible as long as its safe to use is the name of the game.

This picture is on the ride home, still has a lifetime of barn dust on it.. it will clean up nice and I bet I never see another one like it at a campground :)

Stripe

Welcome!

That's a sweet ride...  Front coils could use a looking at. That list will never end, lol...
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

Ahh, a good project. 
Hmm Fredrick.  It has a straight axle front end so no coil thingies.

RM400 was redefined to M500.  Parts can be posted either way.

In case you need it: 1974 Southwind Owners Manual

Mark is redoing the 69-75 Dodge Service Manual.  Will be more complete and easier to use.  Should be in the store real soon.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

Duhh :-[ , I'm an idiot, I had an M500 Chassis, I should have remembered it's a leaf spring setup..  :-[
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

LJ-TJ

That's alright Strips. We make exception for you. :)rotflmao
By the way mate welcome aboard. Nice looking ride. :)ThmbUp

M & J

Strips. Lol . Good one TJ. :)
M & J

circleD

Now that's an original looking piece of machinery. Hose it off and get the drive train reliable then call it even. I think it's SWEET  :)clap .  Welcome to the group friend.

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome to the Loony Bin!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

If you ever need the fleetwood owner manual link, it's on our list of free owner manuals in the block on the upper right side of the page. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Doug B.

Quote from: circleD on March 15, 2014, 10:29 PM
Now that's an original looking piece of machinery. Hose it off and get the drive train reliable then call it even. I think it's SWEET  :)clap .  Welcome to the group friend.

That's definitely the plan for now, and yes, it will never end. I would like to bring it up to a point Id feel comfortable taking longish road trips in it though, without having to worry too much.

I'll be moving it to a park before too long, there is a small one about 14 miles from work and about 8 miles from where the RV sits right now, fairly affordable and more rural, I have a couple better parks available a little further from work, if I decide I need more activities or what have you.

I will just drive it back to its current location every once in a while for work weekends, I figure small interior type stuff I can do sitting in the park and no one will be the wiser.

I think the real challenge will be making it a viable option in the winter, if there is another as bad as the last. I like my job, so relocating warmer isn't an option anytime soon.

I have the owners manual, and all the service stuff, once I get settled I did get all the original paperwork for this coach, if there is any that need added to the library here.

legomybago

Air bag the front axle if it's saglicious i??
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy