LED work light or auxilary light

Started by circleD, March 06, 2014, 04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

I have mentioned before about the led work light that I made and here it is! I have some extra 3528 flexible led lights from eBay that I soldered on some wires for the + & - wires then added a 9 volt snap connection to the end that connects to an 8 AA battery holder. These connectors and battery holder can be purchased at radio shack for cheap and I've bought several of these lights for $7.00 a roll. You'll also need some magnets that aren't to strong and some velcro. When you peel the paper off the back of these lights there's a sticky material that isn't worth much so I used epoxy because the hot glue didn't hold up. I put a magnet every 2 inches so I could stick it to curves and there would still be enough surface contact to hold it. I used the rough side of the velcro between the magnets so I could stick it to other things. It's very important that there's no bare copper showing on the back because it'll short out. This has worked great for engine work, working on the chassis, and in confined areas. The magnets are weak and I can push the lights into places and pull them back out. If they're to strong you can't move them into position and they'll stick to everything.

Stripe

Wow, nice.  I have an idea for an improvement on that. Hope you dun mind.
Get a project box big enough to hold the battery (does not have to be a store bought box), a switch, magnetic tape(Maybe scrapped from an old refer) and a glue gun.
Put the battery in the box, mount the switch to the box and wire it into the system you made.  Use some glue to seal the holes made for wiring and switch if you want to.  Glue a couple of the magnetic strips to the box and now you can turn your light on and off and stick it to metal spots where your working on..  :D
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

circleD

I thought about that but I just wrapped the batteries with tape and just tuck them in somewhere. I learned that it will get dirty and oily. Also, I made it 2' long so it would cover a large area but not so long to use a lot of power.

Froggy1936

Why not alligator clips and use the starting/ house batterys ? Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

circleD

I do have some with clips that are in the compartments but this is so when your under the Rv you can keep it all compact and also portable.