Need proper filling procedure for air pressurized fresh water

Started by lylescott719, March 04, 2014, 06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lylescott719

Hey yall. I have been looking for the proper filling procedure to start checking my fresh water system. This 71 has been sitting for the last three or so years, and had many broken copper lines. I have repaired these breaks, and now that the weather seems to be warming up, I would like to start testing the system. I have added a couple of pics for some reference. Information on valves and what to do, what not to do is appreciated. Also when I picked up the Winnie, the air compressor to pressurize the tanks was running non stop, even after flipping the what I am led to believe is the on/off for the system. But with four burst pipes, I figured part of that was because it couldn't build pressure since it wasn't a closed system. Thanks ahead of time!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Refer to the 1973 Chieftain Operators Manual Plumbing section (page 48)

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/page,page300.html

Repair in formation is in the Eyebrow Winnebago Coach Service manual in the site store.

Dave
[move][/move]

lylescott719

Thanks Dave for your assistance. I finally figured out I have my hands full figuring this out, but the basic knowledge of water in, water out I got it. Looks like there are many valves that are either stock, or the PO must have put in to help drain the system. Found more broken pipes while trying to fill the system. Seems that the wiring has been messed with also for the compressor, as the switch is not even connected, and the wiring that is in place has it on all the time....not right. So I have to figure the wiring out, but after all lines fixed, water is puking out the door on the outside of the water heater, so maybe the tank has ruptured or rusted out? So now my question is, what would be a good recommendation of a new water heater? This particular one is a Bowen, but appears to have been made by Atwood. 6.2 gal, 7.4 recovery, model G6A2.

Oz

The water could be puking out because the drain valve or pressure relief valve may be open.

As for replacement units, take a look at this or start a new topic: 

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,6065.msg24231.html#msg24231
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

lylescott719

Drain valve seems to be intact and doesn't look like its leaking from there, and the pressure relief valve which is higher up on unit is dry also. Water seems to be coming out of under it.