Installing an oven thermostat

Started by HandyDan, March 06, 2013, 10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyDan

Has anyone installed an oven thermostat?  I have a new one to replace my ailing oven but the gas connections are different from the originals.  I'm not sure how to go about hooking up to the new one.  Here's a picture of the old and new thermostats.  The aluminum tubes connect with brass compressions fittings.  I've always heard you should use double flare copper connections with propane, but this doesn't give that option.  It is compression or nothing.  My question is the fittings that come with the new unit do not have the conventional compression ring.  In fact it doesn't have a ring at all.  Do I just cut off the end of the tube and stick it in the fitting and just tighten it down?  I can't find any installation instructions anywhere, and I've looked everywhere I can think of. 

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

HandyDan

Here's a picture of the fitting that comes with the new thermostat.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

I only trust flair fittings with propane, but if compression is what it comes with, just test the heck out of it with soapy water for leaks before using it.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

HandyDan

Gee, this goes back a whole year.  Yes it is working.   In fact I learned a whole lot about oven operation.  I wrote up a how-to article but I never posted it here.  I did post a neat oven site which is now in "Resources".  Once you figure it out, fixing the oven is quite easy.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star