Onan 4.0 bge 1r/26101a. Won't start

Started by Weblamer, March 02, 2014, 01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

BGE weighs 216lbs so be careful.

Dave
[move][/move]

Weblamer

Apparently it just folds down on a hinge?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Some do, some, like my original setup, do not.  Check your setup closely to determine how yours is done.

Dave
[move][/move]

Weblamer

FINAL UPDATE.

Dropped the generator. it did indeed lower down on a sort of hing. Lowered it with a jack and then put a board under it so i could lower it further and then lever it back up on to the jack when i was done.

Found the points and sanded them with a little sand paper and electrical cleaner. Got some new sparkplug wires at discount auto, which at 16 bucks each was a ripoff. However they had a universal connector set, and I did not feel like waiting to order an onan one.

Jacked it back up and bolted it in. Few squirts of starting fluid and it fired right up. Fiddled with the screw on the bottom of the carb for a bit because it kept shutting down when the choke kicked in, but soon I got it running smoothly.

Thank you for the help, everyone!

cosmic

rollers. Makes oil changes and working on the genny so much easier. I got the idea from tj. thank you sir.

Oz

No kidding, I agree... Cosmic.  That tilt down design just doesn't look appealing in any way at all!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tiinytina

Mine tilts too but putting in on a pan on rollers won't work as its inside of the frame, under the rig.. ah well.... which reminds me.. I need to change it's oil and filter too this spring...
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Froggy1936

I also will have to do an oil change as I had to run it 15 hrs a day for two and a half days wile the power was out Here to keep 3 refrigerators and the furnace and some lights on It never missed a beat  I have a jumper with 2 male ends i just plug into an outlet in the garage and the genny , I am going to make up a 220V jumper so i can supply both sides of the breaker panel and have all the outlets working instead of just 1/2 of them The genny has 220 capability  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

cosmic

back feeding the panel. W% don't get a topic on that started. shoot it will never end. saw I guy on youtube showing how its done in emergency situations. they wanted to skin him alive and hang him on the power lines. saying he was going to be responsible for killing lineman.  D:oH!
something about the power making back out to the line if the main isn't turned off. or if some accidently turns it on.
I thought I read it to be illegal in some states. easy to burn the house down too.

Oz

Yup.  I believe this topic is solved so, another happy CWVRVer crosses an item off the honey-do list!

:)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Froggy1936

Opps i should have mentioned you have to turn off the main breakers FIRST ! And it is not illeagle As there are thousands of generators sold every time there is a power outage Now for an automatic syestem that starts if the power goes out they have an automatic switch that shuts off the main line in. Its the same one as i have on my RV that sense,s the generator being turned on and it switches off the land line automaticly ! Today all linemen know to check for live wires in an outage . Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.