timbren rubber springs for the P30?

Started by TripleJ, February 27, 2014, 06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleJ

has anyone looked into timbrens for the front of the Chevy P30?

http://www.truckspring.com/suspension-parts/leveling-kits/timbren-kit/GMFP30W.aspx

I put them in the rear of my pickup when I was rolling with a truck camper and they worked pretty well. basically like an airbag without the adjustability... and without the maintenance.

'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

circleD

They say they only hold 1800 pound and I don't know how those will fit on the A arms. For that price its just as cheap to get the air bags and coil springs together. But those rubber pieces would last longer as long as you didn't have a bad oil leak.

Stripe

these all depend on how you plan to use airbag springs.  Are they to minimize bounce/assist front coils? Like I did on the "Goose" or are they for the aft spring system, be they coil or leaf?
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

TripleJ

this particular set is to assist the front coils. they mount in place of the bump stops and act to prevent sway and keep the front at a minimum height, and they do it without aitr pressure

my front end is pretty bouncy, I expect the airbags to be unable to hold the pressure, along with blown out shocks. since I had used them before, and hadn't read anything about them on the boards I figured I'd ask first...

Stripe

Have a look at this post..

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7759.msg36431.html#msg36431

Those bags are awesome.  My front end was already sagging when I bought it so I replaced the springs AND the airbag at same time.  Was actually relatively easy as long as you have everything all set to go.  From tools to parts.
Before I put pressure in the bags, with just the new springs, I achieved a 4" facelift.  With the bags inflated my front end does not nose dive as much as it used to.  How much pressure you put in is dependent on how stiff a ride you want.
Fredric,

legomybago

When you replaced your front coils Stripe, did it lift your rig? We have a low front end on ours...I replaced the air bags and shocks, but not springs.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Stripe

It certainly did!  I realized a 4 inch increase after the install..  My freezer bullseye bubble level was a happy camper..  The great thing also is that when it comes time to level the RV, the levels swing down and out without jamming at an angle on the ground. No more digging a hole to get them to extend vertically..
Fredric,

legomybago

Our jacks ALMOST hit the ground in front, doesn't take much to interfear with them....New coils.. Hm?
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

TripleJ

stripe after looking at your post again, I'm trying to figure out if my front end is low as it sits.  I recall that the rubber jounce bumpers were about 1 inch a way from the frame. maybe my air bags are still good after all.

Stripe

Best way to test your Airbags is fill 'em and then test them with an air gauge. Put ~60Psi in each then test them after an hour..
Fredric,

Stripe

TripleJ, you get a chance to test your airbags?

Fredric,

TripleJ

I have not. The rv is at a storage lot a few blocks from my house and is currently SNOWED IN. I've only made a couple visits since I bought it. Some light cleaning, and planning repairs.

TripleJ

Airbags were definitely NOT good. I poked under there to check them out and they started removing themselves in little crispy pieces D:oH!

Stripe

yipe. ???
Replacements are relatively inexpensive.

I just realized I did not post the url of the replacement bags I bought for mine. 
Here it is:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-wheel-covers/air-lift-springs-air-bag.htm

Do what I did, inspect the connector lines for dry rot or for oil eating away at the lines. I was surprised when the bags got here that they had new lines included.
Fredric,