Front coil and rear leaf spring replacement?

Started by jeno, February 24, 2014, 10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeno

89 winnebago 23 foot is it possible to replace the front coil springs and rear leaf springs myself? if so can anyone tell me the correct way to do it? thanks to all.

Stripe

Here is a link to my blog on replacing, not only the front coils but also the air ride assist bags.
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7759.msg36431.html#msg36431

Did the job myself. Takes less than an hour per side if there isn't a torrential downpour from out of nowhere. $@!#@!  And as you can see in the pics, it started out sunny.. The tools listed SHOULD be about the same too.
Also, watch this youtube vid, this, and the encouragement of all the great folks here gave me the confidence to do the job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMQG1II-XK8
As to the rear leaf springs, I'll defer that to someone else who may have done theirs.. :D
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

The front springs can certainly be done and it's not too difficult for the average RVer to do with the proper tips and tools.

The rear ones can be done as well.   The question is... do you really need to and do you really want to?  The latter half of the question being the most important.  If you have a good place to do it and good tools and some help, like everything else on a vintage RV... yes, you can!

However... this is a very lengthy, heavy duty task.  A few brave souls have removed theirs and had them re-arched for between $300 - $500.  Although doing so does restore the ride and stability, it doesn't last anywhere near as long as a complete replacement.  And I have no idea how much a truly new set of rear leaf springs would cost.

What have most people done in this situation?  Added rear air bag suspension add-ons.  The results have been excellent and... a typical installation only takes about 2 hours, at most... if it's your first shot at it.  It's really and easy mod.  If I can do it, anyone can.

It's something to think about as you get more info on the direct replacement option.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

legomybago

Air bags are the bomb!! Great investment, easy install, excellent results..

If your rear leafs are cracked, then you have no choice but to remove, not a hard job, good air tools, crow bars, and alot of blocks for cribbage under the frame. If you have hydralic levelers, you may be able to lift the rear of the rig high enough to take the load of the suspension?? Then use jacks to manuever the rear end assembly up and down so you can remove the leafs. The 'hard' part is dealing with BIG parts, and rolling around on the ground....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy