onan generator only starts by holding the start button

Started by jeno, February 24, 2014, 10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeno

only will start if i hold the start button, was told it could be the board or the regulator. can anyone tell me i detail how to replace both and how to cheak to see witch is bad and where to get parts. greatful for any info.

Stripe

First off does your fuel gauge(s) work?
Before you go crazy replacing bit n bobs, make sure it's not as simple as just not having enough fuel in your tanks.  That was what I did. Thought my pump was bad, replaced with new pump, only to discover that the fuel gauge on my rig was wrong due to loose fuel sender wire connections on my fuel tank.  Try this, run a hose from your genny to a small(ish) gas can and see what happens.
If that doesn't do it, THEN look at your switch.

It's been my experience so far that simple problems are solved with simple solutions.  With the notable exception of the Rubics Cube. Not so simple problem with a simple solution. ;)
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

jeno

last summer hooked up a prtable fuel tank to gen it was getting fuel but still same prolem

Stripe

Check your switch then.  If Mad were here he'd know.. :D
Can you post your model number and any pics you may have?
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

Get your full model number then go to the Members Area; Diagrams, Manuals, & Tech Info Area.
Select Generators.  Scroll down the page to find your generator and download the service manual.  It should contain Troubleshooting procedures.  If you need to ask more questions then we have to know specifically what model generator you have first so the proper Service manual can be used to help you.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Mine had those symptoms with bad backfires on top of it.  Ended up being a bad circuit board.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.