fuel pump pushrod stuck

Started by wreckless17, February 22, 2014, 12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wreckless17

Have a 78 chieftan with dodge 440 the fuel pump quit on me.  So I pulled it out but there was no push rod that came out with pump..so I felt for it with my finger and could feel it under the camshaft how do I get it out

Stripe

Got an inspection mirror?? ???
Providing the end that is still in the engine isn't mushroomed this should be pretty straight forward.

Turning the engine over by hand (socket on crank pulley) should bump it lower, then use needle nosed vise grips. Rare earth magnets which are very powerful may help as well.
Loosen the plugs to keep from fighting compression to do this..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

There's a topic that warns about that little bugger. 

When taking off the pump, get a magenet or needle-nose plier on it and put some grease or something around it to keep it from falling in.  Mine went in a little way and I was able to pull it back up with a telescoping magnet.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

wreckless17

I should not have been working with minimal light there's an Allen screw right under fuel pump mounting location take Allan out and ta da out comes pushrod I thought out would cone oil or coolant but it was just push rod thanks for your advice guys I greatly appreciate it

DaveVA78Chieftain

Remove Da Plug below pump so shaft will drop out :)

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

Better late than never eh?? Lol..  :D
Fredric,

DaveVA78Chieftain

I was putting the post together (processing pic) at the same time he posted.   ;)
[move][/move]

wreckless17

Ahhhhhh then when I was putting in new pump rod fell in and I hear it drop at bottom of oil pan nightmare continues

wreckless17

Liv42day did yours fall that far

Lefty

Ouch.. well, you could look at it this way... Now you get to learn how to remove and replace the oil pan on a 440! :D

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

ClydesdaleKevin

Never had a problem with one sticking.  Problem I always had was getting it to stay in place while putting in the new fuel pump!  Those suckers usually fall right out.  The trick to keep them in while installing the pump is to slather them in LOTS of wheel bearing grease.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

You should have no problems dropping the oil pan. But in all honesty you shouldn't have to. After draining the oil into a nice big and clean drain pan just go to AZ or AA or NAPA or O'REILLY's and get a magnet on a bendy rod and fish for it.
Fredric,

wreckless17

I tried sticking the magnet through the oil level sensor could touch it with the magnet but couldn't hold on to it so I dropped the pan and got it out now Im cleaning and scrapeing and degreasing the oil pan

Stripe

Fredric,

DaveVA78Chieftain

Suggestion:  Put pump back in before putting pan back on.    ;)
[move][/move]

Oz

Quote from: wreckless17 on February 22, 2014, 08:36 PM
Liv42day did yours fall that far

No, it didn't.  I was lucky.  It was a little grimey in there and it only went a little way down.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

wreckless17

Yes that was my plan to put pump on first.  Yet I still have a lot more scrapeing to do and I guess this oil pan has a double gasket so I need to go buy one more gasket.  Thank you for all of your advice

Stripe

Double Gasket??? Hm?  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-40700/overview/make/dodge
But double layered? I dunno, that dun sound right..

EDIT: Used wrong engine size
Fredric,

PwrWgnWalt

Maybe has a windage tray?  That takes two gaskets...
Walt & Tina

burt6666

I just use a hacksaw blade to hold it in while installing pump.

wreckless17

It uses two oil pan gaskets one on pan then there's a sheet metal tray and a gasket on top of that

legomybago

The windage tray keeps the oil down in the pan when you are revving 5 grand, and rolling through a 35 m.p.h corner at 70.....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Stripe

Fredric,

wreckless17

Yes thats what it is a windage tray