Hello, and looking for advice

Started by TripleJ, February 12, 2014, 05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elandan2

It always amazes me that these "repairs" are always so sloppily done.  Almost like it was just a stop-gap to get it out of the driveway.  Especially when the correct repairs take hardly any more time.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

TripleJ

I'm just throwing out an update. First thing is dang it takes forever to accomplish anything when you only get an hour or to per day to work on stuff.....

The tank is fixed and painted and assembled, ready to go back in. The fuel lines are routed and the new pump installed. I'm working on the pump wiring.

I found that the PO's fuel pump wiring was not worth keeping, so I started tracing the original wiring. They used a tapcon to cut into the distributor power. It was corroded and the fuse holder was rusted to trash. I also found that the oil pressure switch wasn't functioning, so that's on order.  I'm removing any crimp connectors I find and soldering everything

While I was underneath I also swapped out the rear center brake hose. Unfortunately when I cut the old hose up I found that it was perfectly intact inside, so I'm hoping to find another remedy for the dragging rear brakes.  I haven't pulled the wheels off yet, way too many irons in the fire at the moment.

Hard to see, but this is the new fuel pump and hoses and the rear Ctr brake hose. Not much to see

Here is one of the many reasons I'm S-canning the fuel pump wiring. Yes that is power and ground laid across that metal edge, ready to be clamped down upon by the doghouse cover

This one here is just a really pretty solder joint ready for shrink tube

My helper gettin er done

The tank sending unit with some enamel to help slow corrosion.  Engine and generator supply are facing similar direction, the 3rd is the tank vent with the orifice jammed into the end. The odd brass fitting is the fuel return. Also new fuel level wiring

'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

M & J

M & J

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

circleD

TripleJ don't give up because when you fix one issue another one appears. I myself have the same issues and have to drive 10 minutes away to work on the camper but between work and babysitting my 4 year old triplets I don't get but maybe 3 hours a week in increments. Just make a list on what you want to get done then research what tools and how to do it then go at it hard in your short amount of time. HECK! I've spent 2 weeks trying to get an alternator installed but everytime something happens and have to cut it short until next time. There's nothing like getting in a weird position and ready to work on something then hear your name being called and trying to crawl out from under the RV  D:oH! . You are doing great so keep it up and keep us posted. This is good stuff man.

Stripe

Four??  Heck They that old?  Put 'em to work Man!

Muahahaha!!
Fredric,

M & J

3 youngins X 4 years old is 12 and that's old enough for sure.
M & J

circleD

Oh yes, if it were that simple  N:( . Try having them picking up a yard full of sticks and they just want enough to swing around and hit the other ones so the mechanical helpers they are not. I do try to explain and let them do some small things but they don't sit still long at all. AND THE QUESTIONS NEVER END!!! I'm ok with it though. If it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't be doing half of the updates that I am doing.

joev

kids are great have 4 daughter they are now 31,25,23 and 22  now also have 4 granddaughters and 1st grandson  love them  and love them but never get anything done when they come over  :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao  tring to get something done is like pulling your own teeth  :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

TripleJ

Well, I got it all back together and running today.  Fuel gauge works again and I have restored confidence in the fuel system.  I restored the original electric pump wiring properly fused and with the oil pressure safety switch working as it should.

Here is the last shot of the new pump setup before the tank went back in.  Im not sure why the suction side of the pump doesnt look straight... some kind of casting issue or it was threaded wrong? I installed it with my hands so its not crossthreaded, and I dont see any leaks yet

And heres just an idea of what it looks like with the tank it.  You can see its not in danger of being struck by anything going down the road... You can just barely see the little brass elbow sticking out to the right of the tank

Im pretty sure the oil safety switch was a Holley part, so I went to Oreillys and searched up an OEM style version of the same part. You can see its only slightly different.

The switch was bad... At least the normally closed part was bad.  Probably burnt out when the power wire shorted on the exhaust some time ago, leading to the PO "runnin them new wars".

It looks just fine installed

I also went for a cheap disconnect for the fuel level sender, which was the cause of this saga in the first place.  Just a $3 rubber sealed bullet connector setup from the trailer wiring section

I finished up the day ordering up some new wiper blades, picking up a new radiator cap, fluids, oil change and random stuff.  The wipers were a bit of a chore, but we found that TRICO HD series should be direct fit.

Stripe

Looks great!

No wonder you had an easy time of dropping the tank.  You have no cross bars under it.
Mine has the crossbars from the Mor-Ryde suspension.
Fredric,

Stripe

For an 83, I wouldn't waste the $$ on the premium..
That also reminds me, I need to find a source for a replacement blender on mine.  That or see if I can rebuild mine.. Hmm, Gonna try rebuild first. Just to see if I can do it..

JJJ Did you have a ground wire at the front of the tank that went to the frame crossmember?

Fredric,

TripleJ

I wouldn't use premium either. The compression is so low on these 70s and 80s engines that I doubt there's any benefit.

I have been meaning to ask whether you guys wight the 70s machines are using lead substitute tho, and if not whether you have had any top cylinder problems due to no lead fuel...

Stripe, no there's no ground strap on the tank. I didn't see any provision for one either. Only the ground from the sending unit screw, which goes to the frame and of course is threaded into the tank.

Oz

Can you please ask the technical questions and discuss technical topics on the appropriate message board rather than all in one, general post?  All this good info will never be found in the future by those who could benefit from it.

Please remember that this board is for general introductions rather than for questions & tech discussions.

Thank you.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TripleJ

Well Ive been meaning to update all my projects, but time has been short since Ive been trying to get this thing ready for a short trip to a nearby stat park this weekend.  I ended up putting everything on hold in order to get rid of the nasty old carpeting and replace it with wood laminate floor.  Rain and bad weather turned that into a 2+ week ordeal $@!#@! and its still not completely trimmed out, but its a lot better than dirty carpet...

It was a scramble to get a few mechanical things put together and I thought I was on the road, but the rambler had other plans.  Ive had a bit of an avalanche of problems pop up.  Everything from the gas gauge quit working again and going to over-full, a radiator leak, to the engine stalling out to the point that I cant even get to the end of the street and back.

My schedule aside ive put every spare minute into this thing for the past week and now Im pretty burnt on messing with it. 

/rant over

Oz

It happens.  One can only take so much of digging through stuff trying to repair it and finding more stuff in the process.  Well earned time for a break, I'd say.

circleD

Any updates about the fuel gauge? Mine still doesn't work.

Stripe

I dunno how I missed your comment on no ground strap on your tank. My tank has wires that are held in place by nuts(of the steel variety that is not the tree kind) that are on bolts sticking up from the top of the sending unit.

As you can see in this post only two wires are present..
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,9070.msg46107.html#msg46107

Dunno if it's a trick of the light but the darker wire looks brown.

Mayhaps one of your wires came loose agin'...
Fredric,

Oz

I posted this once, politely:

Quote from: Oz on April 20, 2014, 07:08 PMCan you please ask the technical questions and discuss technical topics on the appropriate message board rather than all in one, general post?  All this good info will never be found in the future by those who could benefit from it. Please remember that this board is for general introductions rather than for questions & tech discussions. Thank you.

It got ignored?
Okay, here it is again.  Directly to the point: Technical questions and discussions should be posted on the corresponding tech boards.  The General board is for...  Read the board description.

Do you have rules in your house?  Suppose I came in with some friends and just ignored them... and YOU when you reminded me about them... would you be a little ticked-off?

Ignore me one more time and the entire topic will be deleted.

TripleJ

Just here reminiscing, on how this all started... And that time I got scolded W%
Definitely no regrets choosing this RV  :) :)ThmbUp

Oz

Every HR owner so far say they really, REALLY love them!

TripleJ

Pics from my new favorite campsite this past weekend

M & J

M & J

ClydesdaleKevin

Sweet!  We sure do love our Holiday Rambler!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.