Hello, and looking for advice

Started by TripleJ, February 12, 2014, 05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleJ

When it comes to the pull down bed, the problem isn't who will sleep in it, but who won't be able to. They're already arguing about who gets to sleep up there (6 and a 3 yr old). I showed it to them and it blew their minds :)

I'm not sure about the antenna yet. We're not much for TV in general, and we control what the kids see pretty closely. I'll consider its overall condition before I make a final decision

One of my first tasks is going to be to get close to the roof and freshen th seams and screw holes. It seems to me that somebody had overloaded the roof storage at some point and the roof sags a bit at the points under where the storage boxes were. I'll have to verify this  with a straight edge
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

Stripe

See? What'd I say about the Cool Factor??  :D
Also, see my post about redoing the roof seams...

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7677.msg35534.html#msg35534
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7682.msg35601.html#msg35601

Hopefully there won't be much sag if any. Didn't look like it from the pic. If there is a significant amount of sag, repairing it will be a challenge and possibly a bit messy.. :) Especially seeing how that looks to be over the rear bed area.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

HandyDan

This will give you an idea of what is under the roof.  It isn't as solid as you might expect.  When you walk on it there will be some give.

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

TripleJ

We'll to be honest, I wasn't even considering doing a tear down type repair... If anything I was thinking I could brace the ceiling from beneath and apply some pressure, hopefully causing the roof to deflect upward a bit, only in an effort to lessen the amount of water pooling on top, IF that's even a problem.  This is just an idea tho...

There is absolutely no water marks or staining on the ceiling tho, so it's not really a huge priority

TripleJ

Dang Stripe, that roof seam thread was awesome. What a great looking repair!

TripleJ

the under couch contents. left, middle, then right side

Stripe

jeez Dan, what'd you do to your Rig? ??? Harsh way to make a point...   W%

I hope you have the combination to that safe..  :D
Fredric,

DaveVA78Chieftain

I did that 10 years ago.  My how time flies

It is time to do the interior all over again  D:oH!
[move][/move]

Stripe

Fredric,

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

HandyDan

$29.95 and a Notary Public and you can have a replacement combination.  What a deal! :)rotflmao
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Oz

Looks like he got it.  That's really not something to hold onto here forever.  A link to it would be just fine or attach in an email.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TripleJ

are you saying there's a way to get the combination to that safe? because I haven't found it yet, and it looks like someone has already tried to pry their way into it.

HandyDan

Google Fire Fyter and click on customer service. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Stripe

OOh, I am going to follow this like I followed Heraldo when he broke into what was believed to be Al Capones  Vault!!!

Who knows, maybe it will pay off the restore work?  Or it could be empty, who knows?

My Uncle Donald owns Fradon Lock in Upstate NY, if Fire Fyter can't help, maybe he can..
Fredric,

Froggy1936

You Tube has video,s on how to crack safes , combination locks etc Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Stripe

What would you be doing watching that kind o stuff Frank?? Hm?

Fredric,

M & J

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7518.0.html

Thats my thread. The roof sagged and the seams leaked. The PO, an RV dealer resealed thee roof but did nothing to the celing where it delaminated. I tore everything down on the inside, installed steel bracing and new insulation. I have the materials to finish the job when the weather breaks.And yes, Allegros and HRs appear to be similiar in design.
M & J

TripleJ

Awesome! I wish I would have found this forum when I was trying to do some repairs on my old pickup camper... Sadly tho, that thing has become a permanent farmyard decoration

I STILL have not even started any if the impending repairs I have planned. The HR is stored in a lot near my house that is a working lot for an auto repair shop. Meaning the use the lot for vehicles under repair AND for their uhaul business. MEANING they need to keep the lot plowed. And since here's been so much snow they've had to plow in the rvs that are stored in the back of the lot  ??? They said they have no problem clearing me out if I give hen a heads up, but that still wouldn't help the single digit temps I would need to be working in even if I did bring it home

TripleJ

I finally was able to bring the beast home today.  I basically just had the daylight to crawl around and under her and lay there for a while contemplating what I was looking at.

Couple things right away. 

1. Brakes were good on the way home, but were definitely dragging by the time i pulled into the driveway.  New brake hoses/flush/etc. just got moved up on the schedule.

2. There is a holley fuel pump back near the tank looking like it was installed by somebody who just didnt give a hoot  N:( . That and some damp fuel lines will be reworked.

3. I didnt yet locate the gas gauge wire to start that repair.  Tomorrow maybe, but we're going to focus on cleaning the interior first.

Heres to good weather :beer:

Stripe

Lookin' forward to the updates and pic..

Fredric,

TripleJ

Today was the first time I actually felt tlike I made some progress, even tho none of the jobs I started are complete...

The thing I made my first priority was to get the fuel gauge working.  If'n you cant even get to 'go', theres no sense in worryin about gettin to 'stop'.  To make a long story short, the ground wire running from the fuel level sender had been cut at some point, and was flapping in the breeze. I verified thiis was indeed the problem by disconnecting and manually grounding the wire to the fuel gauge while mi esposa sat in the driver seat and hollered that the gauge went to empty.  I did have to drop the fuel tank, and I will include pics, etc. in my thread started in the Chassis section... When the job is complete...

TripleJ

The second bit of what I call progress, was all the amazing things I found that I needed to do in the process of investigating the gauge problem... as you will see in these photos

The pictures are taken facing the front of the fuel tank, looking over the top of the rear differential.  As you can see there has been some "reworkin" of the fuel lines and wiring.  The first thing you might notice is the fuel filter and one of the rubber lines resting directly on the exhaust pipe. Also the fuel pump wires resting on the other pipe. 

The power to the fuel pump is actually not original, as the original wires were hanging nearby with evidence of being burned through DUE TO RESTING ON THE EXHAUST PIPE.  :laugh:   I suppose that would also mean that the new wiring is probably hooked directly to key-on power with no provision for either oil pressure or engine rpm as a pump kill.

At this point I have the tank out of the vehicle - which I should say was FAR easier than I was expecting.... Literally disconnected the fill/vent hoses, three straps and it was on the ground - and with the tank out I will be replacing and rerouting all the fuel lines, and correcting the fuel level sender wiring and fuel pump wiring.

TripleJ

Another of the tangle of nonsense

Also a shot from underneath after I cut the tailpipes off.  I will be installing 90 degree turn-downs in front of the rear axle for the time being, as the tailpipes were rotten and one had rusted off immediately behind the rear axle.  The exhaust will stay this was until the time comes for either headers or new manifolds and new pipe.

The hanging wires are the old fuel pump power wires.

Stripe

Fredric,