Hello, and looking for advice

Started by TripleJ, February 12, 2014, 05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleJ

Hello, I'm here looking for advice on an 85 holiday rambler aluma-lite presidential 28.

I'm in southeast michigan and the price on the unit is $2000.  The exterior is weathered and faded, will need cleaning and some paint, but pretty solid and square. No evidence of leaks of any kind that I could see.

The interior is very clean. Appliances are good looking, but operating condition is unknown. The weather and location of the unit is making things difficult when it comes to a proper inspection. Some lights and the steps were working, the fridge light lit when I pushed the on button...

Mechanically the unit needs some work. It started and ran relatively easily for being only 15*F whe I was out there. It drove ok, was easy to keep in its lane, but had to be coaxed above 55mph. Severely in need of a tuneup and carb cleaning. The trans leaked and the drivers rear corner of the fuel tank was wet. The brake calipers looked like they had been replaced within the past year or so, and the brakes worked ok. The tires had deep tread, but we're old and will need to be replaced.

The HVAC control wasn't working properly, the coolant valve was seized. The A/C compressor didn't engage, tho maybe due to low outside temps.

The seller has only had it for a few months. He acquired it to resell and didn't have much info.

Having said all this, how do you make the decision to jump into one of these things?  I was a mechanic in a gm dealer many years ago, so I know there's no magic in these repairs, but I'm trying to figure out how much is too much.  I have about $5k for this venture, but I don't think I want to spend it all in acquiring the rv just to find out that the same types of repairs will be needed on a 5-10 year newer unit anyhow.

My expectations aren't THAT high I don't think, I just want a relatively reliable rv to truck the kids around in for a few years. Dare I take it to Florida someday????

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking for... So tell me what you think I need to be told.

Thanks, JC
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

LJ-TJ

Well! 5-7 thousand dollars will buy you one fine looking rig. I might be tempted to look around a bit more. These old girls can be a money pit if your not careful. What are you going to us the rig for or how big do you need. A 21 footer is perfect for running around town in. Sometimes bigger isn't better. Check out Craigs list there's hours of looking there and there's some real nice rigs for some pretty fair prices. Hm?

legomybago

I agree with Kevin, 2k is just the start, from what you stated, I already see 3k more going into it....tires,repairs, adds up quick. Also the seller "really doesn't know a whole lot about it" can be a red flag...Just read up on this.. ???

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,8851.0.html

If your patient, you will find a nice rig...
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

legomybago

I was really agreeing with LJ-Tj... W%  and Lefty
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

TripleJ

Thanks for the replies. That was pretty quick... Between 5am and now, heh.

Craigslist seems pretty barren these days, I was thinking the sub zero weather as discouraging people from going out and taking pictures. But I didn't want to wait until spring necessarily, when every bodies outdoors junk seems to turn to gold in the warmer weather.

Anyhow, to answer your questions, I would like to at least be able to take it to the reaches of michigan. But I took a 5000 mile trip with a 78 wolverine slide-in on the back of my old F350 and we had a great time, I would like to be able to do that with a motorhome and the extra kid (we have 2 now). We were trying to keep it around 25 foot, but after looking around I would be ok keeping under 30foot. I would like the rear bedroom and then the two other sleeping provisions for the kids... But they're pretty flexible.

For repairs, the only thing that scares me would be to have to replace the short block in one of these things... We'll that and braking systems on early travco's... But the time involved in making the repairs myself is something I need to keep in mind, I have a terrible case of A.D.D. when it comes to completing jobs like this. Also a few people in my hood have rvs in their driveways all year, but I really don't want a lawn ornament...

Anyhow, thanks for listening. The wife wants one, but doesn't understand the mechanicals and is relying on me to make the decisions. And these days most of my coworkers don't know how to change a headlight, so they're no help either, hah. I'm gonna sit and consider on this one, and also keep my eyes open for more to at least give me a better reference point when it comes to what I can get for the money.

Cheers!
JC

LJ-TJ

While far from an expert on any of these old rigs. If you run into something like a 66 to 78 Winnebago and have any questions I may be able to help you out. We have a ton of dealer brochures on these old Winnebago's you could look at to figure out what type of floor plan you might like. Stay posted we might find something you like. I can tell you this. We bought one out of Kansas and the under neath was presteen. If you have to travel to pick it up look at it as a vacation and an adventure. Hm?

Stripe

You all missed one very important resource here for helping JC.  The RV Buying Checklist available as a free download link to the right of the webpage.

JC,

Your a mechanic, you'll know what to look for as far as the chassis is concerned. It's the Coach (house part) you will probably want to pay attention to.

They say Pictures are worth a thousand words, but actually going to look and evaluate the RV is worth VOLUMES..  Go have a look at it using the checklist, bring whatever you use for taking photos and take lots of them and post them here and we will help wherever we can.  Get yourself an extendable inspection mirror I have three in different sizes (I used to be a home inspector).

I opted for a newer RV because I was running short on options and time.  I ended up getting myself a 1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial28.  I paid around US$7k for it. The exterior is very easy to clean, and it cleans up nice. 

The funny bit, I bought it because the hydraulic leveling jacks worked and was the coolest thing I ever saw! 

Like you I sometimes get hit with a bout of ADD but, if you browse my posts I have done a lot of work on it. 

Not including the addition of solar and a new inverter, the most expensive repairs I have had to do was replacing the shocks all around and replacing the front springs and air assist system.  The mufflers were cheaper than the shocks..

There were a couple of things I replaced either for preemptive reasons or because I thought something was broke (Cough! generator fuel pump Cough!) when in fact I was just low on gas and did not KNOW any better. (I did end up being able to fix the fuel gauge for ZERO money)

Anyway, whatever route you DO decide to go just know this one FACT:  There isn't a person on this forum that will refuse to help out if they can. Whether it's tech advice or pointing you in the right direction, you'll not find a more friendly or receptive group of people.

Oh, Not sure if the Presidential model comes standard with the in-counter blender, but if it does and it works?  WOOT!!  And I will hate you.. :D

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Stripe

OMG, I totally forgot.....

WELCOME TO CWVRV!!!!!
Fredric,

Lefty

I paid $1850.00 for the '88 Georgie Boy (28') we had.... Took about $500 and a couple weekends tinkering with it to get every little thing on it working again after it had sat up for a few months prior to me buying it. You can look at my profile and see pics of it. It's a perfect example of what's out there if you are patient, and beat the bushes... (we looked at roughly 200 RV's over a 2yr period before buying this one.)

to Fredric... Mine had hydraulic levellers too!! :P
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

ClydesdaleKevin

Hold up before you don't buy it.  Just the aluminum by weight in a Holiday Rambler from 1985 is worth almost 2K...lol!

Ours is an 89 35 foot Imperial, and we got it for 3K.  Book value right now is 12K, which is what we'd get in an insurance check if it was totaled, stolen, or gods forbid caught fire...we have full coverage now through Geico, and that is what they rated it at.

We bought it for 3K...but about 2K in tires on it...maybe another 1K in repairs over the years that were necessary...so 5K into it, with a book insurance value of 12K. 

Don't have to worry about delamination on 80s Holiday Ramblers...aluminum skins and all.

Also don't have to worry about major structural damage from water...frame, wall frames, roof framing...everything's aluminum, not wood.  Water damage in an 80s Holiday Rambler is just damage to insulation and inner wallboards, easy cheap stuff to replace.

Yes we have way more than that invested, since we fulltime it and invested in solar and all sorts of other things, but the basic lets use it as a camper investment was minimal.

I'd say go for it!  2K is a grand less than we paid, and we are still ahead of the game by insurance value.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Fredric,

DaveVA78Chieftain

Lets see, the 28ft should not have the Mor-Ryde rear suspension so that should not be something to check closely.
[move][/move]

Stripe

I have the Mor-Ryde system.  Well, A mor-ryde system anyway..  The one with the fat rubber blocks sandwitched between metal plates..
Fredric,

DaveVA78Chieftain

Did not realize they used it on shorter rigs.  After the issues Kevin has had was pointing out it needed to be checked carefully.
[move][/move]

Stripe

Yeah, I remember reading about that.  He had just gone to their shop in I think IL or IN??  That's when I looked at mine and discovered I had the Rubber Sandwich ones and had inspected them.  I recall another member mentioning he had the same rear end setup.

Fredric
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

Mor-Ryde can be problematic, but fixable.  Smaller rig probably doesn't have it.

My rubber shear springs were shot, so I paid close to 500 bucks for new ones, and they were the wrong ones.  Mor/Ryde replaced the wrong springs for free, and charged me 300 bucks for the labor of raising the rear axle to its highest configuration.

I'm only disappointed with Mor/Ryde lately for not getting back to me for the cracked spring boxes that were obviously caused by the wrong rubber springs. 

I digress.  For 2000 bucks, SNAP IT UP!

Kev

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

It did and she is a thing of beauty...

My 28 foot HR Imperial DOES have the rubber shear MOR-RYDE system, yours may as well.  I know I posted pics on the forums somewhere..

found a pic.

Does your HR have the small ice maker/freezer across from the couch?

Fredric,

LJ-TJ

Is that the rig your looking at? WOW! Sweet Ride.Looks like it would be worth some serious consideration.

Stripe

??? I dunno though, where's the Electronic Periscope Mount or the Manually Targeting Missile Launcher??  Hm?

OOH, I know!  We can make a Flotilla of HRs! 

I nominate Kevin as Fleet Admiral.
Fredric,

JDxeper

Are we being Ramblered by HRs ?  Hm?
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Stripe

Hm? Hmm, today is a Holiday and we're "rambling about an RV.. :D
Fredric,

Oz

New name for the wesite, "Retro Ramblers (and some other RVs)"
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Lol.. Nahh, I like the original.  But I'm getting a kick out of your Avatar.. :D
Fredric,

TripleJ

I didn't notice an ice box across from the couch, or a built in blender. Sounds like you've got the Cadillac model!

M & J

Aye. The lad does nothing below par.
M & J