LED Bulb Replacements

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, October 07, 2012, 09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

As I simplify things in my own head I'll keep posting simplified explanations of how things work...just like my own recent research of LED lighting.  When it comes to LEDs and all the choices out there, the most important thing to look at is Lumens, or light output.  There are lots of cheap LEDs out there now, many of them plug and play, but they put out a pathetic amount of light. 

For instance, the most common bulbs in our vintage RVs is the 1141.  An incandescent 1141 puts out 260 lumens when its new and draws 1.5 amps.  So you have to shop around for an LED bulb that puts out the same or more lumens, in the same light warmth (cool white, natural white, etc.) to get the same light from the bulb.  A good LED bulb, like one from Revolution LED lighting, will put out the same color and lumens, last close to 100K hours, and draw less than .125 amps per bulb, meaning you can run a bunch of lights and draw less amps than one incandescent bulb alone.  But check your lumens!  A cheap chinese LED bulb will work, but be dull and off color.

The best deal I found for the right LED lights was about 9 bucks a bulb, from Revolution LED lighting.  We have 9 interior 1141 bulbs and one in the porch light, so the 10 pack deal was less than a 100 bucks, including the shipping.

Expensive yes, but the right lumens and color, and WAY less amp draw on the batteries, which is important for me since Patti loves leaving the lights on!

Okay, so a quick dummies guide to lumens. 

A typical T8 florescent bulb puts out about 750 lumens when new, so you want at least a bulb, in cool white, that puts out the same lumens or more.  Our Revolution bulbs put out 800, and will until they die 80,000 hours or more from now.  They put out the same color light and are just a bit brighter, and draw way less amps.

A typical 1141 bulb puts out about 260 lumens in natural white when new.  They draw about 1.5 amps a bulb.  You want a bulb very close in lumens and color.  The ones I just ordered from Revolution are the same lumens, which will be sustained for at least 90K hours, draw less the .2 amps each, the same color, and cost less than 100 bucks for every light in my RV.

A 921 bulb, a wedge bulb like the ones in many of our stove hoods, etc, puts out about 265 lumens.  Again in natural white light.  About 10 bucks a bulb from Revolution.  A fraction of the amps, at the same nice light.  We need 5 total, 4 for the fixture over the dinette, and one for over the stove.

The most expensive incandescent LED bulbs are the round frosted vanity bulbs found in some of our bathrooms.  They are about 25 bucks each...but they are the same lumens and color and look like the incandescent versions, and again, draw WAY less amps.  The florescents cost the most, at about 40 bucks a bulb, 2 per fixture, for the right lumens and color.

Another problem with the cheap chinese bulbs, aside from color and lumens, is voltage tolerance.  A charge controller, either on your converter, inverter, or solar controller, can charge at the higher side of 15 volts.  The cheapies can be burned out at any voltage over 14.  Just keep that mind!

There is another thing I just found on eBay to reduce your amp use, at least while driving, and that is LED clearance lights...as low as 5 bucks a whole fixture.  They have come down a LOT in price, and the same place I bought the ones for the Itasca is now selling them as cheap as 4 bucks a fixture, the whole fixture, 6 LEDs, body, bulbs, reflective covers and all.  Just remember, if you switch all your driving lights to LEDS, you'll probably have to switch out your signal relay to a digital version, but they are cheap at around 5 bucks and are plug and play.

At some point in the future I'm going to write a whole article on RV Electronics for Dummies like Me, and post it under member articles.  Until then I'll post them as I think of them.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

gadgetman

I took the cheap way out and replaced all the 194 bulbs in my yellow clearance lights with LED bulbs They work well in the yellow ones but not the red. I will have to replace the red ones, one day. I just didn't want to start unbolting them and dealing with the short wiring to them when they were still working :) LOL.

The rear tail lights on mine are signal stats 3 round lights in one assembly. The bulbs are horizontal and the LED bulbs wont work in them, :( I ha vent really looked around but maybe signal stat makes a rep lacable Lens/LED for them. That would be kewl :)

There is a huge difference in the LED clearance lights as it doesn't drop my voltage so much at idle now. These old coaches didn't have much for a charging system. Heck my solar prob puts out close to the same LOL, but not at night :) !

JDxeper

Kev
Give us the link for the led bulbs.  The only ones I have found are in the $20 range for the 1141 with at least 200 lumens
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ClydesdaleKevin

Okay, here is the link to the T8 Revolution LED florescent bulbs, the cheapest I've found them, on eBay.  They put out the same color light as the original florescents, draw a fraction of the amps, and put out more lumens.  Very easy to wire in:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180671904197?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This is the link to the Revolution Vanity light bulbs, even higher lumens than the stock round frosted bulbs, way less amps, and the cheapest I found them.  I actually just ordered them, courtesy of an internet trebuchet order that funded all three of them completely via Paypal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180708567320?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The 1141s were actually cheaper right from Revolution, since they offer 2 pack and 10 pack deals that make them cheaper than buying them individually on eBay, about 90 bucks for 10 bulbs:

http://www.rvledbulbs.com/product-p/hp-1141n-10.htm

The 921 wedge bulbs, which we haven't ordered yet...that will be next week...will also be obtained from Revolution directly, since I couldn't find their brand on eBay and don't trust the others...Revolution seems to be the best ones out there.  We won't be buying the 10 pack since we only need 5, and they are 9.99 each:

http://www.rvledbulbs.com/product-p/hp-0921n.htm

The best price I found for the marker lights is also on eBay, especially if you buy them in bulk.  Turns out they ended up being the same guys I bought the LED marker lights from for the Itasca.  You can even mix and match the colors, red and amber, and get just the lights you need.  Comes out to around 4 bucks a fixture:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190549500909?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Yep, I shop around because this stuff ain't cheap!

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks for all the kudos guys!  It wasn't easy for me to wrap my head around all this, even though I was an ET on submarines.  I started out as a Quartermaster, so mostly I plotted dots on charts, learned just enough about electronics to pass exams, then promptly forgot it since I was darn good on the charts and rarely did anything electrical besides running cables and making cables...lol!

Replacing the marker lights isn't a high priority for us, but if we have the time and money at this show we'll do it, since I have to troubleshoot and repair the chassis wiring anyways.

Tail lights and signals would be another nice thing to replace, but again, we have to prioritize everything going into our winter vacation.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The vanity lights and 1141 lights arrived, and I have to say I'm very pleased with the light output and color!  The vanity lights are quite a bit brighter than the incandescent versions, and the 1141 bulbs are a little brighter and whiter than the incandescents, putting out almost the exact same color and lumens as a brand new Sylvania LL 1141 before the Sylvania bulbs start to dim and go yellow after a while.

None of the bulbs put out much heat, which is good, and the one we put in the porch light is bright and white.  (Although the cover on the porch light, a lighted Bargman assist handle, disintegrated when I removed it and is being held together with a small piece of Eternabond tape until the new light lens arrives).  I might go ahead and get a brighter bulb for the porch light though...Revolution makes a 400 lumen waterproof bulb that would certainly make the porch a lot brighter!  At 43 bucks a bulb though I'll really have to think about it.  On the one hand its expensive, on the other, using the AC LED rope lights off the inverter ups their amp draw by 10, so we're thinking about it.  They also make a 17 foot long strip light with a dimmer and programmable module so you can change their colors and whatnot, but at 110 bucks I'd have to see one in action before investing in something like that.  The thing that is really neat about it though is that it is designed to be mounted right to the awning tube with the provided 3M industrial sticky tape so you'd never have to hang the porch lights again, as they would be permanently mounted and rolled right up with the awning.  Probably have to get creative with the wiring though.

The next lights we are going to replace are the 921s, so I'll let you all know how they perform when they arrive after we order them on Monday.  Turns out I was mistaken about the front map light, which needs a 921 bulb and not an 1141, so I now have a spare 1141 in case one of these fails...lol!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Just ordered the 6 921 replacement LEDs we need for the RV, in 250 lumens natural white from Revolution, 9.99 each, and a 1141 porch light bulb in natural white, a whole 400 lumens (expensive for so much waterproof light, at 43 bucks for the single bulb!, but the more light on the porch, the better), and 2 more T8 florescent replacement LED bulbs so I can replace another set of florescents in one of the fixtures, probably the bathroom this time.

The link for the 921 replacements I'll be using is:
http://www.RVLedBulbs.com/product-p/hp-0921n.htm

The waterproof porch light 1141 400 lumen bulb is:
http://www.RVLedBulbs.com/product-p/18-0910.htm

And of course, the T8 replacement is already listed, cheaper on eBay, at 39 bucks a bulb.

I'll let you all know how these bulbs work out, but so far we are very happy with the bulbs we have already chosen.

I'm going to take the 2 other 1141 bulbs we have as spares, the one in the porch light right now and the one we thought would fit the map light, and put one on the driver's side porch light (we don't use it often and its weather proof), and the other in the light in the sewer/power compartment, for our night time stealth greywater evacuation operations...lol!

I totally spaced out the need for the tiny little night light bulbs at floor lever, but there are only 3 of them, one at the base of the bed, one in the bathroom, and one under the dinette, so I still have to figure out which bulbs to buy to replace those and get those as well.

We made the executive decision to go ahead and get the LED marker lights, link already provided, and also replace the bulbs in the tail and signal lights and backup lights with LED bulbs...our rear fixtures and front signal lights are custom Holiday Rambler, so replacing the bulbs themselves is the best option, and also the relay with an electronic one.  Not sure if I need a load resistor with the signal lights, but I'll figure it out.

Over the next few weeks I'll be getting the rest of the T8 bulbs and the night lights, and the LED marker lights and signal bulbs...spread it out a bit and it won't feel so painful!  LEDs aren't cheap, even with how cheap I've found them compared to other places.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Just bought the three...we only have three...night light courtesy lights for the RV night light system.  There is one at the foot of the bed, one in the bathroom, and on at the base of the dinette.  It was cheaper to buy these perfectly sized little surface mount fixtures that have 3 LEDS each than to buy individual bulbs for the existing fixtures, two of which had broken housing bezels.

The eBay listing is http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Courtesy-and-Convenience-Light-3-Bright-WHITE-LEDs-Waterproof-12-VDC-/221080971751

Should work out perfectly...I'll let y'all know how they work out!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Oh yeah, the Bargman lighted assist handle lens cover came in today to replace the disintegrated one and fits perfectly.  The LED bulbs won't burn up the covers anymore!

Kev

HandyDan

I have those little aisle/courtesy lights you are talking about. My wife likes to leave them on all night and having LEDs would be a lot better than incandescent. The little original ones get extremely hot and melt the plastic covers.
While I was at Colaws RV Salvage I saw these and thought they would be a great replacement for the originals.  Most of these license plate lights only have one power wire and rely on the frame for the ground.  The ones at Colaws had two wires which makes them an easier replacement.  However, I am interested in how your LED lights work out.  I am concerned about how far they will stick out since they will be in the traffic zone (except in the bathroom). 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DELTA912

I have a super thin 12V String/Rope Light that runs the center of the roof.

works great for "area" lighting.
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

ClydesdaleKevin

According to the technical drawing, these little courtesy lights will stick out .87 inches.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Installed the next set of T8 bulbs today in the bathroom fixture, and wow are they nice bulbs!  They better be at 39 bucks EACH...lol!

Anyone know why the LED bulb companies keep saying you need a load resistor if you are using LED bulbs in your signal lights?  We replaced the signal lights on our old 77 Itasca with Bargman LED signal lights in the back, and amber LED signal lights in the front, and the signals wouldn't work at first until I installed an electronic relay, then they worked fine.  I'm assuming the load resistors apply to much newer vehicles?  I was already planning on changing out the signal relay with an electronic one...think it will be good to go?

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The 921 bulbs came in today, and man are they a perfect light output!  One over the stove, one in Patti's map light (I never use the one on my side, since I'm driving!), and 4 over the dinette in the fancy fixture I picked up last year.

The porch light bulb is bright, 400 lumens, but looks kind of funny in the Bargman Assist Handle fixture.  Its a large bulb and since it sticks out so far, it make it look like one side of the fixture is super bright, and the other is missing a bulb.  Solution!  This decided it.  We are definitely buying two porch light replacements...one for the one on the driver's side that disintegrated, and the other will mount over the fridge vent door.  That one is located about half way down the RV and will light the whole porch, so with its clear lens and the super bright bulb, it will be perfect!  I'll put the other 250 lumen LED bulb back in the Bargman assist handle fixture once its installed.  And the last and other 1141 bulb can go into the new fixture on the driver's side.

Still no answers about the possibly necessary load resistors I might need for LED signal bulbs?  I'm patient...just please answer before Thanksgiving...lol!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So at Patti's request I'll be installing yet another Bargman porch light fixture, this one right over the grill, and of course install an LED bulb in it.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

A new topic was made under the Projects board, and all further information will be posted there.  Lots of pictures, so you can see everything I've been writing about!

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=6835.0

Any differences in lumens and prices are due to my overtaxed absentminded memory.  THIS board is the most accurate for lumens and prices, not the one on the Projects section.

Kev

cosmic

silly question here.
last week I bought 2 led lights for my rig. I put 1 in each of my 2 light roof lights and ever since I put them in my battery is draining to nothing.
I pulled them out and plugged into shore power now im waiting to see what happens
this is the only thing I can think of. the deep cycle is brand new. It worked just fine for 3 weeks then I put the leds in and have this problem.
has anyone ever had a similar problem?
the brand name is eco-led 1156-ww13

Stripe

Cosmic, any solution to that problem?
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DELTA912

I'm thinking of using 3/4" grommet marker lights up top, and clear/white ones for inside. I'll post more on that later.
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

Stripe

Hey Dave, thanks for the LED source info, I just bought me a 10-pack of the Tower Bulb 260 Lumens 18 LEDs - Natural White (1141/1156) from RVLEDBulbs.com.

Even found a coupon code for 10% off!!
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28